Community
Wiki Posts
Search

POS- no seat belt?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

POS- no seat belt?

I flew a United leg though IAH last week and was in business class. The person across the aisle was a large man, which is fine of course, but the strange thing was he never wore a seat belt. He would have required an extender but he never asked for nor was one offered.
The FA seemed oblivious (or at least indifferent) .....has anyone else ever seen this?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
POS- no seat belt?

Maybe it was buried beneath his fat.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Maybe it was buried beneath his fat.
lol...uummmm no......in fact when arriving at gate he simply stood up when the rest of us did the un-buckle race
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yes, I've seen it.

It's unsafe, plenty of people have been injured in turbulence when not belted in.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
How does it work with the shoulder strap in GF? I saw someone pushing 4 bills SFO-NRT didn't think of it until this thread.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
lol...uummmm no......in fact when arriving at gate he simply stood up when the rest of us did the un-buckle race
All of China unbuckles on the runway - not a good test.

No one uses seat belts in Trinidad, so POS is no surprise
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:18 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by JBord
Yes, I've seen it.

It's unsafe, plenty of people have been injured in turbulence when not belted in.
Let them be injured as much as they like. I am more concerned with the other people they injure from their bodies flying around the cabin.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What did the FA do when you raised it with him / her?

As others note, if the POS doesn't want to wear a belt and injures himself, that's his problem (and UA's as a liability matter). But, it isn't just the POS, it's about you and others.

If not important enough to raise to the FA on the spot....
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - What did the FA do when you raised it with him / her?

As others note, if the POS doesn't want to wear a belt and injures himself, that's his problem (and UA's as a liability matter). But, it isn't just the POS, it's about you and others.

If not important enough to raise to the FA on the spot....

Apparently some (former) FAs think passengers should just mind their own business.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bobby-...b_8084408.html
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Apparently some (former) FAs think passengers should just mind their own business.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bobby-...b_8084408.html
Wow. Off topic, but the tone of that article is that not only should one not snitch, but that it's perfectly acceptable to ignore FAA rules if you feel like it.

Back on topic, I'd play the percentages. I will take my chances with the person injuring me in turbulence over the chances of starting a confrontation, which in so many cases results in even the innocent party being removed from the plane.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by JBord
Wow. Off topic, but the tone of that article is that not only should one not snitch, but that it's perfectly acceptable to ignore FAA rules if you feel like it.

Back on topic, I'd play the percentages. I will take my chances with the person injuring me in turbulence over the chances of starting a confrontation, which in so many cases results in even the innocent party being removed from the plane.
+1 on both paragraphs.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Let them think that. I believe it's in everyone's best interest to report these violations to the ASRS and directly to the FAA. My safety is too important to me.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
If we have a physicist they may be able to confirm - but intuition tells me that a POS isn't going to move very far in turbulence.
I've flown millions of miles and never experienced turbulence that would move anyone from their seats.
Though my mother - also a frequent traveller - tells stories of a flight from Japan with numerous injuries due to extreme turbulence.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
If we have a physicist they may be able to confirm - but intuition tells me that a POS isn't going to move very far in turbulence.
I am not a physicist (nor do I play one on TV) but there's a reason I leave my seatbelt on when seated. If turbulence can throw a drink cart on its @ss, then I suspect a POS is no challenge at all.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/world...-dfw/20515589/

Lurker
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If we have a physicist they may be able to confirm - but intuition tells me that a POS isn't going to move very far in turbulence. ...
yep science / physics are different than your intuition.
... I've flown millions of miles and never experienced turbulence that would move anyone from their seats.
Though my mother - also a frequent traveller - tells stories of a flight from Japan with numerous injuries due to extreme turbulence.
Yes it can and does definitively happen -- not common fortunately but ugly when it does happen. You will never catch me without the seat-belt latched if I'm not out and about. Just one bout of "moderate" turbulence and seeing FAs hit the deck for their safety was enough for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.