Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting assigned a lousy award seat on partner flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1k

Maybe it is just my bad luck.

I book a lot of award travel with the Asian Airlines through UA. Almost always in biz.

99% of the time I get assigned a lousy seat. You know, the ones on seat guru that have warning on them. Usually near the galley or toilet.

I usually have to get the confirmation code from UA and call the Asia liner and change my seat.

I just waited 2 hours with of them to make the change.

Maybe I am just being too particular, but anyone else have similar issues? I guess they reserve the better seats for their FF?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I haven't had any particularly bad auto-assignments. I do find they follow my preference for an aisle seat.

Some carriers do "block" some (preferential?) seats for various reasons and various timings but I don't believe they are necessarily slotted as revenue vs. award.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
They may assign a seat, but I always call and pick the one I want. I never had a problem getting a seat that was want I want, if they are available.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I was stuck in 4 D, ORD/PEK the other day, always want 3A,

Maybe I should write them a letter, use to do 1A, now. It is a pilots rest seat..,

Maybe I could just show them my license..

As long as I can lie down who cares..
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
What asian airlines you are talking about ? Why can't you call the particular to change your seat assignment ?

I have flown all *A asian partners no matter paid or awards from UA, never had a problem when I call that particular airline.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Seat assignments on partner airlines are made by the partner -- UA typically will past on your profile preference but that's all UA can do. Some partners do reserve the better seats for their FF members or paid seats. If you don't like the assignment, you will need to call as advised above. It is the airlines goal to fill all the seats so someone is going to get the seat eventually.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yeah it's like hotels. Someone's going to get that crappy room overlooking the HVAC unit. If you don't want it, you need to speak up.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah it's like hotels. Someone's going to get that crappy room overlooking the HVAC unit. If you don't want it, you need to speak up.
+1 - with one caveat - you have to know your airlines.... On a recent CA flight I did not realize the the first row of business class was the only row that could accommodate children - and instead of taking my auto-assigned seat further back in the cabin (2-2-2 configuration) I called and changed to the first row (thinking with my (flawed) UA logic that the foot rest area would be larger). Imagine my horror when both sides of me were surrounded with parents and their new born children - and their inability to cope with that....
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 - with one caveat - you have to know your airlines.... On a recent CA flight I did not realize the the first row of business class was the only row that could accommodate children - and instead of taking my auto-assigned seat further back in the cabin (2-2-2 configuration) I called and changed to the first row (thinking with my (flawed) UA logic that the foot rest area would be larger). Imagine my horror when both sides of me were surrounded with parents and their new born children - and their inability to cope with that....
Haha. That must have been awesome!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's not just with Asian airlines. Any partner award will get non-optimal seats, so you always need to call after booking.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME it's not so much the Asian partners but LH which is bad about blocking the good business class seats.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I have flown all *A asian partners no matter paid or awards from UA, never had a problem when I call that particular airline.
Hm. I have a business award from UA to fly on *A asian partner AI. I can't get a seat assignment until check-in time if it's an international routing. I call that a problem, because other asian partners let me get seat assignments at any time. If the flight is completely within India, AI has no problem and the seat assignment seems possible at any moment.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME it's not so much the Asian partners but LH which is bad about blocking the good business class seats.
I haven't had that problem with LH, but my LH business class seats have been within Germany, or Germany to IST. In many cases, those LH business class seats are becoming nothing more than the usual uncomfortable Y seats with the benefit that nobody sits next to you.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
... Maybe I am just being too particular, but anyone else have similar issues? I guess they reserve the better seats for their FF?
Nope. And I'm surprised that a frequent award traveler has any seat selection issue at all, except in the case of AI. First thing I do after booking MP awards seats on any foreign carrier is call them carrier directly and confirm my seat. In fact, Asiana res upgraded me to FC on their A380, which was a nice experience.

Don't all carriers "reserve the better seats for their FF?"

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 27, 2015 at 11:36 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As for OP, "asian airlines" don't block seats at check-in.
LH will block seats even if available.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
Maybe it is just my bad luck.

I book a lot of award travel with the Asian Airlines through UA. Almost always in biz.

99% of the time I get assigned a lousy seat. You know, the ones on seat guru that have warning on them. Usually near the galley or toilet.

I usually have to get the confirmation code from UA and call the Asia liner and change my seat.

I just waited 2 hours with of them to make the change.

Maybe I am just being too particular, but anyone else have similar issues? I guess they reserve the better seats for their FF?
Typical first world problem. For short flights, any seat will be fine with me. At least, Asian airlines feed me on plane for such short flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.