Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA fleet consolidation Spring 2016: LAX->Int'l is on the 787 and 767/777 back to IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA fleet consolidation Spring 2016: LAX->Int'l is on the 787 and 767/777 back to IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mduell
Are you kidding? The 787 is tied with the 747 for the worst longhaul Y product in the fleet. You can bring your own entertainment on an iPad, you can't bring your own inch or so of seat width. Add that to the brighter cabin on daytime flights and the awful padding and it's a stinker.

But the capacity makes sense for UA's thinner and thinner longhaul routes out of LAX... gee I wonder why they're getting thinner...
+1. While there are a few reviews (undoubtably by smaller/lighter folks) saying the 787 on UA in Y is great, the is distinctly a minority view. Count me as one that would take the (once retrofitted with power) sUA E+ seat on the 747 (with wider isles, more space, more padded seats) over the thin, narrow, tight seats/isles on the 7-narrow-7.

To be fair though, if I had to be stuck in Y- I would take the 7-narrow-7 as it has 32" pitch vs. 31" on the 747, but in E+ its the 787<747<763 (due to IFE being sucky or new CO seats)< sCO 772 < 764 < sUA 772. And if I want to be esoteric and add in *A its then < ANA non-IOJ < Asiana < ANA IOJ.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:00 pm

So I guess this starts speculation of when the long fabled Priestmangoode United biz will make its way onto the 787 fleet. It's gonna suck to have to sit in the 2007-era Diamond seat in 2022 if the company decides to leave them in that long (they are still outfitting 787s in them today, after all).
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
So I guess this starts speculation of when the long fabled Priestmangoode United biz will make its way onto the 787 fleet. It's gonna suck to have to sit in the 2007-era Diamond seat in 2022 if the company decides to leave them in that long (they are still outfitting 787s in them today, after all).
First question is easily answered with two words "new management" The second comment is answered with "yes." But the loss of traffic due to that "yes" will eventually, as some point, result in the first answer coming to pass.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
+1. While there are a few reviews (undoubtably by smaller/lighter folks) saying the 787 on UA in Y is great, the is distinctly a minority view. Count me as one that would take the (once retrofitted with power) sUA E+ seat on the 747
You are a tad behind times. 747s have power in back, all of them. And had it for months.

I've flown 787 in back, and I'm not tiny, but had no problem fitting. For perhaps the only time, Jeff is right, American's behinds are getting wider. MUCH wider
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
You are a tad behind times. 747s have power in back, all of them. And had it for months.

I've flown 787 in back, and I'm not tiny, but had no problem fitting. For perhaps the only time, Jeff is right, American's behinds are getting wider. MUCH wider
The narrowness is bothersome in the fact that it's difficult to find armrest room, but the larger complaint I have is the really firm padding. I wayyy prefer the older battleship era UAL seats. They got it spot on with the IPTE 777 Y...those seats are just about perfect.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by spin88
First question is easily answered with two words "new management" The second comment is answered with "yes." But the loss of traffic due to that "yes" will eventually, as some point, result in the first answer coming to pass.
the new 777-300 will have the new UA business class seats. So i assume the 787 in late 2016 will also have those new seats.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:29 pm

Confirmed both SYD flights and LHR are going 789.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I don't mind my SFO-TPE next year in J changing to the 787. At least I know I can get one of the center 2 seats instead of playing the gable with row 6 next to the pilot rest.

No issue with the Australia flights since I've been going MEL-LAX the past 2 trips and will do so again in April.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Sorry if I was not clear, I was trying to say that once - as they did- they put power in the 747 I would take it over the 787. That said, the power IMHE on the 747 is flaky, the outlets tend to push plugs out and its very hard to get a connection.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
The narrowness is bothersome in the fact that it's difficult to find armrest room, but the larger complaint I have is the really firm padding. I wayyy prefer the older battleship era UAL seats. They got it spot on with the IPTE 777 Y...those seats are just about perfect.
+1.

Originally Posted by why fly
the new 777-300 will have the new UA business class seats. So i assume the 787 in late 2016 will also have those new seats.
If you are counting on (1) united paying to certify the new seat on the 787 and then having two different configurations (a Direct Isle Access config will have slightly fewer seats) on the 787-9 or (2) tearing out the seats they just paid for on the 787-9, I have a bridge to sell you.... That type of cap-X would get bumped by the smith street spreadsheet jocks running United...

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Confirmed both SYD flights and LHR are going 789.
Well, will be interesting to see how this impacts UA's possiton ex-LAX. I can't but see it costing them more defections in HFVers ex-LAX.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by why fly
J is superior to J on the UA 777.
How so? The IFE interface is modernized, but it's the same basic seat except narrower (and it feels shorter even if UA claims it's the same).
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:29 pm

The 777s being displaced at LAX & SFO will redeploy on routes out of EWR, ORD & IAD.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:29 pm

How so? The IFE interface is modernized, but it's the same basic seat except narrower (and it feels shorter even if UA claims it's the same).
I did not notice any difference regarding the seat compared to a pmCO 777. (like many others, I like the pmUA seat but certainly not the 2-4-2 config)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Are you kidding? The 787 is tied with the 747 for the worst longhaul Y product in the fleet. You can bring your own entertainment on an iPad, you can't bring your own inch or so of seat width. Add that to the brighter cabin on daytime flights and the awful padding and it's a stinker.

But the capacity makes sense for UA's thinner and thinner longhaul routes out of LAX... gee I wonder why they're getting thinner...
Why would I be joking when the paper figures and my personal experience have the 787 as the best Y class in the UA fleet? An inch or less width (only compared to the 777s - that you probably wouldn't notice except for the fact that you know it's less) doesn't make up for the numerous pros. It offers more pitch, a higher cabin pressure, huge, amazing windows, and the best Sky Interior goodies. And it has the usual great seat/entertainment combo. Good luck taking a higher cabin pressure onboard with you. The people who complain about the 787 clearly have an axe to grind. There's little to complain about that doesn't also exist on the others in the fleet.

Second place for me is the 764, not the 777. But you won't find that plowing the Pacific.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
oh man this is too good. A bargain basement J product out of LAX. No F to SYD/LHR/NRT. Boy are they going to be confused when it doesn't pan out. Even with the discounting they will have to do, I just can't see their vision. These guys, on top of their game. hahaha
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:11 am
Suspended

So glad I switched my SYD flights to Qantas/Delta (depending on class and destination). The thought of 14 hours on a UA 787 is enough to make me vomit. The BF product on UA is truly a major, well, you know the letters!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.