Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Delta Officially Bans Trophy Animals as Cargo - When Will UA Step Up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Well we all know Smisek and Co. only copy Delta lockstep, but in this case, it's a good thing if they did. As discussed in the news and on the DL forum, they officially now refuse to carry trophy animals shot on safari, or any related parts/products, etc. I think UA needs to step up and do the same thing, and this will pressure on AA to join in.

With all the US carriers refusing to carry the bodies of these murdered victims, more pressure can be put on foreign carriers flying to the US to do the same, either voluntarily or by legislative action.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:11 pm

Delta was the last major foreign airline serving Africa that allowed the shipment of trophy animals, which is why its ban is notable.

United does not serve Africa and it's codeshare and interline partners that do, including LH and SAA, already banned the shipment of trophy animals.

Only airlines that serve Africa participate in the ban and I wouldn't expect United, or other airlines that don't serve Africa, to join as it does not apply to them.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2015 at 12:53 am Reason: Moderation suggestions deleted
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
Delta was the last major foreign airline serving Africa that allowed the shipment of trophy animals, which is why its ban is notable.

United does not serve Africa and it's codeshare and interline partners that do, including LH and SAA, already banned the shipment of trophy animals.

Only airlines that serve Africa participate in the ban and I wouldn't expect United, or other airlines that don't serve Africa, to join as it does not apply to them.
Isn't LOS in Africa? I believe that UA flies into LOS.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2015 at 12:53 am Reason: Quote edited to reflect Mod edit
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Isn't LOS in Africa? I believe that UA flies into LOS.
I stand corrected on two matters. One, United does fly to Africa, though I don't expect many safaris originate or end in LOS. Second, United already has a ban on lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros and buffalo trophies.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2015 at 12:54 am Reason: Moderation suggestions deleted
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
this is always such a joke when companies all of a sudden decide to take a stand. Neither airline could have cared less had the MN dentist not been all over the internet.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by CALMSP
this is always such a joke when companies all of a sudden decide to take a stand. Neither airline could have cared less had the MN dentist not been all over the internet.
Exactly.

It's a publicity stunt.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2015 at 12:54 am Reason: Moderation suggestions deleted
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
On 10 o'clock news here in Dallas they said AA made the ban "effective immediately"

Sounds like they don't want to be left out of the publicity stunt
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Whether UA had a ban in the past, it does now
United Joins Delta Banning Big-Game Trophies After Cecil Killing
{appears past policies applied to protect / endangered animals}

ditto for AA -- although neither UA or AA serve the related areas.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:46 pm

UA only flies to Lagos , which isn't exactly the capital of game hunting .DL flies to JNB much closer to the action
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Obviously a PR move but still a positive change. Who cares why they do it, a good thing is a good thing. At a minimum, raises awareness of the issue.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Whether UA had a ban in the past, it does now
United Joins Delta Banning Big-Game Trophies After Cecil Killing
{appears past policies applied to protect / endangered animals}

ditto for AA -- although neither UA or AA serve the related areas.
Excellent news! Nothing else to say about it, the policy is in from all US carriers.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Given the steps UA has taken, there seems to be no further need for this thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.