Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Connecting Travel During Winter? DEN, ORD, IAH, EWR,...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

I'm thinking of traveling from PDX to XNA (NW Arkansas) during late December. The cheapest itinerary is always a 54 minute connection in Denver, and I'd feel nervous about that because it allows little time for delays. The second cheapest itinerary is via Chicago O'Hare and it's a three hour connection, which I'd feel better about, however, ORD is known for delays during the winter. It's also possible to go via IAH, but it's more expensive, and I wouldn't even think about going through EWR. So, would you guys recommend connecting in DEN for 54 minutes or taking the chance at ORD? I really have no idea about how bad it is between either airport or if any of the routes are more prone to delays. My final destination is Fort Smith, AR and the AA and Delta prices are a bit high right now directly to Fort Smith, and I've also considered OKC, Tulsa, Little Rock, and Memphis as options but those would be inconvenient since I'd most likely need to take a bus.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
DEN

UA's winters can't be worse than this summer... surely...
Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
How many DEN-XNA flights/day? You would be protected on a later flight. Alternatively, try yo get an earlier PDX-DEN flight for a longer connection.

I'd choose DEN over ORD almost any time, but you could have WX at any airport in December.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
United Travel During Winter?

The answer is DEN...never mess with ORD in winter. Excluding the rare show stopping blizzard in DEN it is one of the best winter land airports out there.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
If weather's moving in, odds are very good that you can get your itin fine-tuned to avoid it. And as others have pointed out, ORD is likely worse than DEN. In general, weather waivers are there when you need them.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
If weather's moving in, odds are very good that you can get your itin fine-tuned to avoid it. And as others have pointed out, ORD is likely worse than DEN. In general, weather waivers are there when you need them.
Not clear if you are suggesting not to worry about booking an ORD connection, but if so I would not endorse that. I personally book away from ORD connections whenever possible. The airport is so tightly scheduled, any disruption has disproportionate effects.

Change options day of travel may be nonexistent. And sometimes the issues don't crop up until it's too late to change your connecting point (like when you're in the air or even on the tarmac - I once sat on the tarmac at ORD for over an hour after landing due to an ice problem).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:48 pm

Longer connection

Most travel sites seem to think you want to only look at short connections.

You want to see if there is an earlier flight to Denver. Then found out if the price is OK. This may take some digging.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DENflyer3
The answer is DEN...never mess with ORD in winter. Excluding the rare show stopping blizzard in DEN it is one of the best winter land airports out there.
This. Never plan a connection through ORD in winter.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Book through DEN.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:43 am
RNE

Originally Posted by ethvnpdx
I'm thinking of traveling from PDX to XNA (NW Arkansas) during late December. The cheapest itinerary is always a 54 minute connection in Denver, and I'd feel nervous about that because it allows little time for delays. The second cheapest itinerary is via Chicago O'Hare and it's a three hour connection, which I'd feel better about, however, ORD is known for delays during the winter. It's also possible to go via IAH, but it's more expensive, and I wouldn't even think about going through EWR. So, would you guys recommend connecting in DEN for 54 minutes or taking the chance at ORD? I really have no idea about how bad it is between either airport or if any of the routes are more prone to delays. My final destination is Fort Smith, AR and the AA and Delta prices are a bit high right now directly to Fort Smith, and I've also considered OKC, Tulsa, Little Rock, and Memphis as options but those would be inconvenient since I'd most likely need to take a bus.
While I too would avoid ORD in winter (and EWR in winter, spring, summer and fall, for that matter), December is so far away from now that flight schedule changes may loosen a tight connection or tighten it so much you can rebook a comfortable connection without cost.

RNE, wishing you luck but not expecting you'll need it.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
DEN vs. ORD connection in Jan

Going to be on a family ski trip in Telluride and then going to do MTJ to Miami. FLL or MIA doesn't really matter to much to me and I'm not hard pressed on arriving afternoon vs. night.

1:08 cnx in DEN a little after 7am
1:17 (MIA) 1:47 (FLL) cnx in ORD at around 4:30pm

IAH is all around :45 min
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
DEN, so you can drive when they fail you.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mduell
DEN, so you can drive when they fail you.
That's still 5h...

I'm thinking at least with the morning flight from MTJ the plane will already be there and less likely of having delays from the ORD noon one with downline delays.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
As others have said, DEN is the best choice. It's arguably the best of any major's hub at dealing with snow -- plus it has six LONG runways which can make a difference when aircraft have landing limitations based on runway conditions, braking action, and RVR.

You might think that IAH would be "safe" but the only trip-in-vain I've had due to wx happened at IAH in early December when there was an ice storm.

As to the suggestion that you could drive from DEN, while theoretically possible -- but it's a TEN hour drive -- not five -- in good conditions! If snow has affected DEN and is causing irrops, historically that will usually mean the eastern/southeastern plains of Colorado will be in terrible shape with roads closed -- often if DEN has gotten 10" of snow, the Colorado/Kansas border area will have gotten 20". (And, note, it's actually an hour-and-a-half less to drive to XNA from IAH)
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
it's a TEN hour drive -- not five -- in good conditions
This is a resurrected thread. The original poster was going from PDX to XNA. The comment about "use DEN so you can drive" was for an MTJ-MIA/FLL passenger. MTJ to DEN is about a five hour drive in good conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.