Wiki Posts
Search

UA Promotion - Access to GFL for 1ks ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:37 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

UA Promotion - Access to GFL for 1ks ?

Flying out of LHR yesterday in C (R fare), I went to the United club before the flight. The lady at the checkin desk told me that they were running a promotion "for our most loyal customers" and invited me to the Global First Lounge instead. She said this promotion has been going on for a few weeks, but this is the first I've heard of it. Does anyone have more details?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Even as a 1K I hate to see this continued devaluation of benefits, in this case to those who fly GF, including (rarely) me.

It's just a logical extension of UA's "everyone's an elite" policy.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Guessing it is an attempt at LHR to balance out the loads between the UC and GFL.

SunLover
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
I had the same offer in late June. But I was traveling with wife and daughter, so they could not bend the rules enouigh for all. The UC wasn't that crowed. Maybe they were all over in the GFL!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by StingWest
Everyone is elite therefore, no one is elite.

In all seriousness, please don't laugh out loud when I say this, UA's thought process could be that allowing "their most loyal" customers to experience the GFL lounge that maybe they'll want to purchase GF on their next TATL/TPAC. I think it's flawed logic based on the offering but who knows...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StingWest
Even as a 1K I hate to see this continued devaluation of benefits, in this case to those who fly GF, including (rarely) me.

OW grants top tier elites (Emerald) access to F lounges on any ticket. I don't really see this as a devaluation of benefits.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by Kacee
OW grants top tier elites (Emerald) access to F lounges on any ticket. I don't really see this as a devaluation of benefits.
I guess it depends on the % of people that can qualify for the highest tiers.

If that number is reasonable, sure.

If that number is anything similar to Group 1 (which is often the most crowded), well...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 2015 at 11:34 am Reason: deleted reference to deleted post
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by skidooman
If that number is anything similar to Group 1 (which is often the most crowded), well...
Group 1 includes Platinum and anyone flying business or first. On a 744, that's 64 premium cabin pax right there.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Is the OW Emerald equivalent United 1K or GS?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by lax2010
Is the OW Emerald equivalent United 1K or GS?
1K.

Although Star Alliance doesn't have an equivalent tier to Emerald. If it did, it would include 1K, since 1K is equivalent to AA EXP.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Well, they said they are phasing out GF. Maybe this is the start, although I assume they would phase out GFLs as well. It does make sense to let 1K's use the lounge when the regular one is busy (and the GFL is empty)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
They have already phased out the GLF at LAX, prior to that happening access to that lounge was being granted sporadically to 1K's on BF itins.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
1K.

Although Star Alliance doesn't have an equivalent tier to Emerald. If it did, it would include 1K, since 1K is equivalent to AA EXP.
Yup, *A tops out at Gold so there is no real fare comparison.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:03 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I would agree. United Club is filled with UA Gold and above on INTL, *A Gold, UA BusinessFirst travelers with no status, club members, those with the UA club card, and the one-timers who are using their free Chase passes. One could argue that this dilutes the experience for 1ks, as there is no functional difference between them and any of the aforementioned groups when it comes to lounge access.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Over the past month there have been occasional reports of 1Ks being offered GFL access -- see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2015-a.html .

There have been no indication this is a generic / across the board thing but an occasional goodwill gesture -- perhaps related to load balancing of lounge usage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.