Wiki Posts
Search

Booking mixed award separately

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Booking mixed award separately

I recently booked HNL–MCO award tickets with the HNL-IAH IN FIRST and the IAH-MCO leg in coach for 40,000 one way. It is also offering a standard award for 90,000. However, looking at each leg separately I can book the first leg for 40,000(saver) and the second leg for 25,000(standard). Can they do this or do I have to ticket these as two separate tickets? And finally, would I be breaking the rules?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:47 pm

It would be two separate tickets and two separate flights. No rules broken.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JamesHNL
I recently booked HNL–MCO award tickets with the HNL-IAH IN FIRST and the IAH-MCO leg in coach for 40,000 one way. It is also offering a standard award for 90,000. However, looking at each leg separately I can book the first leg for 40,000(saver) and the second leg for 25,000(standard).
Because you have redeemed a saver first-class award from HNL-MCO, you are eligible to waitlist for first-class on the coach segment. If you call United, they can put you on the waitlist for that segment, and if a saver first-class seat from IAH-MCO opens, you would clear into that cabin.

So, the question is whether or not it's worth 25,000 miles to you to guarantee the first-class seat on the 2-hour IAH/MCO flight. Personally, I'd waitlist, but they're your miles.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by JamesHNL
I recently booked HNL–MCO award tickets with the HNL-IAH IN FIRST and the IAH-MCO leg in coach for 40,000 one way. It is also offering a standard award for 90,000. However, looking at each leg separately I can book the first leg for 40,000(saver) and the second leg for 25,000(standard). Can they do this or do I have to ticket these as two separate tickets? And finally, would I be breaking the rules?
I would suggest booking HNL-MCO on one award ticket for 40,000 miles. Call United and have the IAH-MCO leg waitlisted for first so that if an award slot (bucket) opens on that leg in first you will be upgraded. In addition you will want to monitor that flight yourself because many times the award will open but you will not automatically be upgraded. If you see the award open you will call United and tell them you are waitlisted for first, you see that there is a first class saver award available and would they apply it.

If you book two tickets and your first ticket/flight is delayed and you miss your second flight you will be able to get your miles back minus any redeposit fee (I think) but you will be on your own to rebook your second flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.