Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA PS service SFO-JFK free ticket endorsements on other airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA: Gold, AA: Platinum, SPG: Gold

For anyone who was frustrated by UA's move from JFK to EWR on PS service after October 25th, United will endorse affected tickets to other airlines who still operate the route. I had five affected tickets and got all of them switched. I would suggest switching to AA (Full miles, good for status match, AND if you were in Business first on the PS flight then UA can endorse your ticket to AA first class in three class configuration!) Also since many of the AA fares are in higher fare classes, my new AA tickets are mostly in full fare Y econ or A first class! When I status match that's 3X miles! To do it:

Call UA's phone number, do not submit a complaint to customer care (I tried this 3 times and it didn't work).

Speak with a UA supervisor.

Say: "UA canceled my tickets and changed me to an airport in a different city and a different state. This does not constitute a schedule change and violates United's contract of carnage, I do not consent to these changes. According to Rule 24, Part C, number 2, United must "reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in an equivalent class of service when a Change in Schedule results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities." (page 35). My situation meets this criteria exactly. Therefore I want to be on flight (insert preferred fight on different carrier) in class (match the class of service. If BusinessFirst ask for First on AA). "

Make sure to get AA confirmation numbers and check to make sure they did it correctly. Also if you prefer a different fight time, they switched my flights up to 24 hrs in either direction without a problem. Good luck and post your results!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Glad to hear that they are doing what they are required to do when they cancel flights and pull out of a route.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
what they are required to do
All they are required to do is refund your money and walk away. They're doing more than that in some cases which is commendable.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA has cancelled the flights. Therefore, you are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment.

Before having UA rebook OA, check to make certain that you cannot make the purchase for less on AA/DL/B6. if so, cancel and purchase new tickets.

Also, remember that UA can't endorse to B6, but the cancel & purchase works just as easily if you want to fly B6 Mint.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Given that the flights are being cancelled several months in advance, unless a passenger has very unique circumstances, it would be far less hassle to get a refund and book on whatever flights you want. Why go through the hassle of trying to get it endorsed and hope that everything is done 100% correctly and potentially have to deal with 2 different airlines who may blame each other for any mistakes.

Take the money and run. So much easier.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Given that the flights are being cancelled several months in advance, unless a passenger has very unique circumstances, it would be far less hassle to get a refund and book on whatever flights you want. Why go through the hassle of trying to get it endorsed and hope that everything is done 100% correctly and potentially have to deal with 2 different airlines who may blame each other for any mistakes.

Take the money and run. So much easier.
Yup - worked well for me as my Xmas destination actually had changed since I booked my UA tix ^ free refund + new booking on AA for the win!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mspel
Say: "UA canceled my tickets and changed me to an airport in a different city and a different state. This does not constitute a schedule change and violates United's contract of carnage, I do not consent to these changes. According to Rule 24, Part C, number 2, United must "reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in an equivalent class of service when a Change in Schedule results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities." (page 35).
This is a incorrect, you have completely changed the meaning and requirements of Rule 24 (C) (2).

Here's what the text actually says with emphasis on the portions you've misrepresented:

C) Change in Schedule - When a Passenger’s Ticketed flight is affected because of a Change in Schedule, UA will, at its election, arrange one of the following:
1) Transport the Passenger on its own flights, subject to availability, to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service, at no additional cost to the Passenger;
2) At UA’s discretion, reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in an equivalent class of service when a Change in Schedule results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities;
3) Advise the Passenger that the value of his or her Ticket may be applied toward future travel on United within one year from the date of issue without a change or reissue fee; or
4) If the Passenger is not transported as provided in C) 1) or 2) above and does not choose to apply the value of his or her Ticket toward future travel as provided in C) 3) above, the Passenger will be eligible for a refund upon request. See Rule 27 A).

Also your post is internally inconsistent; if this "does not constitute a schedule change" why are you citing and misquoting the part of the CoC about schedule changes? If it does not constitute a schedule change, what are you calling it under the Rule 24 definitions?

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Glad to hear that they are doing what they are required to do when they cancel flights and pull out of a route.
Where do you find this requirement?

Last edited by mduell; Jul 1, 2015 at 9:43 am
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:07 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by mduell
Also your post is internally inconsistent; if this "does not constitute a schedule change" why are you citing and misquoting the part of the CoC about schedule changes? If it does not constitute a schedule change, what are you calling it under the Rule 24 definitions?
As an intrigued bystander (albeit one who has no direct interest in the situation, in that I don't fly PS routes), I:
(a) Agree with your observation that the OP is overstating the case, since UA specifically says that they can do less generous things at their discretion, but
(b) Think you are being too picky with the "schedule change" language. I think the OP's point is that:
  1. United has changed their flight ops schedule, by removing service to JFK. Therefore Rule 24 is appropriate, because it covers "when a Change in Schedule results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities". In other words, United has defined "Change of Schedule" to include the removal of all UA service to JFK.
  2. Rerouting the OP to a different airport in a different state (N.B. this is technically true, but morally it's beyond weak -- EWR is officially an NYC airport) is not a "schedule change" in any commonly accepted sense of the word. Rebooking a day later is a schedule change. Rerouting through a different hub is a schedule change. Changing the destination is not a schedule change.

Now, that being said... a critical point is that EWR and JFK are coterminals (or at least they were as of 2008). So, while I would mostly agree with the OP on this point if (e.g.) the reroute was from JFK to PHL, I think UA agents would be totally within their rights here to say "We rerouted you to a coterminal that serves the same city; accept it or take a refund."
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mduell
This is a incorrect, you have completely changed the meaning and requirements of Rule 24 (C) (2).

Here's what the text actually says<inappropriate comment removed by moderator>:

C) Change in Schedule - When a Passenger’s Ticketed flight is affected because of a Change in Schedule, UA will, at its election, arrange one of the following:
1) Transport the Passenger on its own flights, subject to availability, to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service, at no additional cost to the Passenger;
2) At UA’s discretion, reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in an equivalent class of service when a Change in Schedule results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities;
3) Advise the Passenger that the value of his or her Ticket may be applied toward future travel on United within one year from the date of issue without a change or reissue fee; or
4) If the Passenger is not transported as provided in C) 1) or 2) above and does not choose to apply the value of his or her Ticket toward future travel as provided in C) 3) above, the Passenger will be eligible for a refund upon request. See Rule 27 A).

Where do you find this requirement?
So clearly, in the OP's situation, the supervisor they spoke with that rerouted on an OAL was exercising UA's discretion (as an agent of UA) to reroute on another carrier.

While I agree UA is only obligated to refund the money, for those that would rather be rerouted on another carrier in full Y or higher fare class, this thread is helpful to know it can be done.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 1, 2015 at 10:28 am Reason: To remove rules violations in quoted post.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Lots of poor information here. This is not a schedule change, it is a cancellation and under DOT rules, OP is entitled to a full refund.

The fact that UA is initiating similar service from another station is meaningless.

Thus, the following applies to individuals holding JFK-LAX/SFO on UA:

1, They may at their discretion cancel and UA must fully refund or

2. They may at their discretion accept a reroute which UA chooses in its discretion to undertake. That reroute may be on UA xEWR or OA.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
thanks OP for posting. nobody in the p.s. 'transitioning' thread had reported on this. i figured UA would have to rebook OAL.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by riphamilton
thanks OP for posting. nobody in the p.s. 'transitioning' thread had reported on this. i figured UA would have to rebook OAL.
On a market exit such as this, they generally do.

Personally, I'm ignoring the calls from UA and treating my tickets formerly to JFK as refundable tickets.

If my plans change, I'll refund them. If the price goes down, I'll refund and re-buy. And if I get mad at United between now and then, and I want them to pay, I'll insist on JFK as the OP did and have them put me on AA.

The options are open.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Originally Posted by mspel
United's contract of carnage,
I have nothing to add other than the fact that this is a happy accident that really sums up UA ops lately. A contract of carnage.^
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by channa
If my plans change, I'll refund them. If the price goes down, I'll refund and re-buy. And if I get mad at United between now and then, and I want them to pay, I'll insist on JFK as the OP did and have them put me on AA.

The options are open.
...and, for your last option, they may equally "insist" that you take a refund, or book you on AA on a less favorable fare. If it were me, I would make the decision earlier while they are still feeling more "generous"!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA: Gold, AA: Platinum, SPG: Gold
Interesting replies from everyone. To clarify, I meant to say that this change is not a schedule change but a cancelation, as Often1 said. But given the language of rule 24 C, since non of the other conditions apply, UA must rebook on an OAL. I posted this so others know that they can do it as well, not to meticulously comment upon UA's COC. Also, it makes a lot more sense to make UA rebook you on an OAL instead of a refund. Almost all my tickets were rebooked in full fare econ or first which (once I status match to AA) will give me 3X points based on milage not money spent. Also since it is now full fare on AA, it is effectively refundable via AA as well. So you have the best of both worlds!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.