Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to UA's flagship hub, IAH?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Couple of things associated with Terminal E commissioned from Houston's The Art Guys.

Video of working monitors:
http://theartguys.com/IMAGES/Web%20M.../VideoRing.mov
Neat! Makes me think of the light sculpture in the tunnel at ORD, whereas a ring of dead CRTs makes me think of an electronics recycling facility.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Has IAH-NAS been permanently cut? All I'm seeing now for October-November ex-LAX is LAX-EWR-NAS, and the EWR-NAS is on a E70.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Neat! Makes me think of the light sculpture in the tunnel at ORD, whereas a ring of dead CRTs makes me think of an electronics recycling facility.
Sort of like the sUA 752 drop-down CRTs. I think the problem was that individual monitors would go on the fritz. Rather than keep fixing/replacing them, they shut 'em all down. Seems like UA/HAS could remove them and replace them with a ring of colorful travel-themed paintings. More likely to see a ring of Chase advertisements.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:29 pm

Sort of like the sUA 752 drop-down CRTs. I think the problem was that individual monitors would go on the fritz. Rather than keep fixing/replacing them, they shut 'em all down. Seems like UA/HAS could remove them and replace them with a ring of colorful travel-themed paintings. More likely to see a ring of Chase advertisements.
Pretty amazing how quickly that terminal has aged. Beautiful when it opened, but now I look at terminals like SFO T2/T3E, and the differences a little over a decade can make...wow.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fgirard
Has IAH-NAS been permanently cut? All I'm seeing now for October-November ex-LAX is LAX-EWR-NAS, and the EWR-NAS is on a E70.
No.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I passed through IAH yesterday again, and definitely saw a difference. Employees this time around seemed friendlier, there were more smiles, and the C terminal seemed a bit cleaner. I guess I did connect through IAH on a bad day back in June, after all.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I passed through IAH yesterday again, and definitely saw a difference. Employees this time around seemed friendlier, there were more smiles, and the C terminal seemed a bit cleaner. I guess I did connect through IAH on a bad day back in June, after all.
Yeah, but after passing through there last week, I realized how clean IAH keeps the hard surface floors, but how world-class filthy the Terminal C boarding area carpets were.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Yeah, but after passing through there last week, I realized how clean IAH keeps the hard surface floors, but how world-class filthy the Terminal C boarding area carpets were.
Why anyone would design a transportation terminal with carpeting on the floor in public spaces is a mystery to me. What could they have been thinking? Or drinking?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Pretty much every airport I've ever been to is carpeted in the gate lounge area and not carpeted in the walkway areas. Ofcourse some carpets look cleaner than others. It is disgusting to see people laying (or even sitting) on the floor though.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
Why anyone would design a transportation terminal with carpeting on the floor in public spaces is a mystery to me. What could they have been thinking? Or drinking?
1) Carpets absorbs some noise from densely-packed people
2) Seat units would have to be bolted to floor otherwise
3) Absorbs spills / prevents slipping
4) Carpet supplier is probably related to (or friend of) airport administrator
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
While I can't back it up with hard figures, my impression is that there is far more carpeting acreage in DEN's public spaces (at least in Terminal B) than there is in IAH.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I'll give credit that the lounge agents actually smile now.

Was quite surprised the past few times I entered the lounge.

"Morning! (Smile) , Welcome back Mr. XXX , enjoy your time here and have an nice flight! (smile).

Usually it's.
Sticks an hand out (asking for BP), scans ticket, "here you go" no smile no welcome/thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I'll give credit that the lounge agents actually smile now.

Was quite surprised the past few times I entered the lounge.

"Morning! (Smile) , Welcome back Mr. XXX , enjoy your time here and have an nice flight! (smile).

Usually it's.
Sticks an hand out (asking for BP), scans ticket, "here you go" no smile no welcome/thanks.
At E UC the other day, the dragon mentioned that most lifetime UC members are very old (I'm not) and that she was surprised

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.