Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FFG/UA July 2015 SEA mini-DO with Boeing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
How difficult is it to normally tour the Boeing factory?
First, the Renton Factory doesn't offer public tours (only private VIP). The Everett Factory has public tours, and there is likely not much difference between a public and private VIP tour other than the logistics. Public tours require that you queue up, watch movie, then board Boeing buses from the guest center. On return the buses drop you off in the Boeing Store and you have to walk through it to exit.

That said, both tours are very interesting if you are an airline geek. I have done the Everett Tour 3 times and did the Renton VIP tour on a MegaDo. Both are worth repeating multiple times say every 5 years. The Renton tour is particularly interesting in the way they try to increase production in a very small space.

The schedule looks pretty tight so I would only see tours for 1.5 hours at each site.

9:15 to 10am - Bus to Everett
10 - 11:30am - Everett Tour (748, 777, 787)
11:30 - 12p - Boeing Store
12p - 1pm Bus to Renton
1 - 2:30 - Renton Tour (737)
2:30 - 3:15 Bus to Marriott
+/- 15 minutes
So I would not expect a real comprehensive set of tours.

The Air & Space museum is very interesting as well. Fewer aircraft than the A&S at Dulles Airport, but I like the Seattle one better since you can board Concorde and 747 s/n 1. I have been to the Seattle A&S multiple times, including a VIP at a MegaDo and a Freddie's Award was hosted there. But still worth follow up visits. There is a lot to see.

It looks like an informative, fun event, for a good cause. Unless you are coming from the West Coast, the negative is - this is a summer weekend and flights to SEA are very high due to all the Alaska cruises and other tourism. From East Coast Coach is $1K, and F is $2-3K.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:10 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
"From East Coast Coach is $1K, and F is $2-3K."

TPA-SEA-TPA in F RT is $1,037.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cova
It looks like an informative, fun event, for a good cause. Unless you are coming from the West Coast, the negative is - this is a summer weekend and flights to SEA are very high due to all the Alaska cruises and other tourism. From East Coast Coach is $1K, and F is $2-3K.
Not just airfares; Seattle area hotels are super expensive. The Marriott SEA airport is over $200 that weekend.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

I would suggest that anyone coming in from anywhere other than the west coast show up for more than just the event as there is plenty to do in Seattle. Hopefully that makes the cost of the flight more worth it. There are other hotels in the area that are less than $200.

The Everett Factory has public tours, and there is likely not much difference between a public and private VIP tour other than the logistics.
Not to make this more than it is, but having done both the public and the private tour at Everett, I do feel like the VIP tour gives you significantly more time on the floor in areas the public tour doesn't take you to. You also get more knowledgeable guides, as many of them tend to run specific aspects of a particular program or are executives.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by JC1120
Not to make this more than it is, but having done both the public and the private tour at Everett, I do feel like the VIP tour gives you significantly more time on the floor in areas the public tour doesn't take you to. You also get more knowledgeable guides, as many of them tend to run specific aspects of a particular program or are executives.
I would suggest that if there was an event on Friday evening, it would make the weekend more appealing. Like a group dinner or Friday or cocktail party say at the Marriott. This has been done in the past for similar events like this - say when hosted at EWR, etc.

Although, maybe the organizers have a private event with UA on Friday night??
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Vulcan
"From East Coast Coach is $1K, and F is $2-3K."

TPA-SEA-TPA in F RT is $1,037.
If you want daytime flights from TPA: (Y/F)
AA is around $800/$1600
UA is around $800/$1237

Yes UA Y/F is $716/$1067 (now) - 8am departure time out but redeye back.
Good old TODs kicking in there.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Very interested. Hope there is some space left when I can book.
Added you to the interested list. Hope you can make it!

I would suggest that if there was an event on Friday evening, it would make the weekend more appealing. Like a group dinner or Friday or cocktail party say at the Marriott. This has been done in the past for similar events like this - say when hosted at EWR, etc.

Although, maybe the organizers have a private event with UA on Friday night??
We don't have the budget for a Friday evening event, and neither is anyone able to arrive early enough for that to happen. Event schedule is set in stone at this point, but I'm optimistic we'll be able to fill up most of the spots.

Last edited by JC1120; Jun 5, 2015 at 8:28 am
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Mrs. USHPNWDLUA and I are very much looking forward to it. Count us in.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I did the Everett VIP tour a couple years ago. It would be great to do again, with other FTers! Count me interested, but I don't now know if I'm going to have to be in some other part of the world that weekend.

interested->paid

Last edited by PVDProf; Jun 18, 2015 at 10:20 am
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Both paid and interested lists updated - now at 22 registered attendees!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:28 pm

I have two hotel options booked - at airport or downtown. Arriving around 4pm on Friday. If I stay at airport, then I will likely go over and spend the evening at the airport in UA Club and AS Lounge in the 7 to 10pm range.

Will get UA Club gate pass. If others are interested - please post. Some might stop in the lounge upon a later arrival. The Marriott bar is expensive and you can walk from hotel to the airport (one block down the hill, then up the light rail elevator and across the bridge to the airport parking lot and gates.)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:18 am

Still wavering-parking at the airport or the hotel requires $, and I need to allow up 2 hours to get to the Marriott SEA if I take public transit. Anyone attending from North Seattle and possible looking to carpool/whatever?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Boeing has clarified that BOTH location visits will be from the factory floor! They also wanted us to remind people that the public tour at Everett is from the stands only, and Renton does NOT offer a public tour, so this will be a very rare opportunity for everyone involved.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Are the factory tours just like public tours no photos allowed ?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Are the factory tours just like public tours no photos allowed ?
That is correct - and a requirement of Boeing. Cameras are nt allowed. At some events Boeing takes pictures of the group and provides them later. We don't know yet whether that is going to happen for this event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.