Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Unable to Order Multiple Beers at SFO United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to Order Multiple Beers at SFO United Club

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:10 pm

I got irrationally excited when I quickly read the title and thought it said multiple "bears" at the UA club.

Not sure if I need more or less coffee.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by kop84
I got irrationally excited when I quickly read the title and thought it said multiple "bears" at the UA club.

Bears have the most highly sensitive sense of smell of any mammal and thus, would be very unlikely to enter a UC due to its lack of desirable/edible food.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond

Gold star!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I got irrationally excited when I quickly read the title and thought it said multiple "bears" at the UA club......
No - they are across the bay.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I have many times ordered and received two (usually different) alcoholic drinks for me and my wife at the Int'l UC at SFO without being carded or questioned. My wife was usually nowhere in sight. So definitely not standard procedure unless it has changed in recent weeks.
I also never had an issue at the intl UC at SFO .. I have however always specified that the 2nd drink was for a companion.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
One of my issues with the UC at SFO is that there is a bar tender. I far prefer the self-serve options at most airline lounges.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zombietooth
While in NRT, you can self-serve as many adult beverages as you want, and even buy beer in vending machines on the street in any Japanese city.
Japan is less litigious than the U.S. (There are, in fact, more sumo wrestlers than lawyers in Japan.)
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

OP, be glad they were serving at all. Last time I went to the UC at SFO, they closed the bar and took away all the food by 10:30pm despite being "open" till 11:30.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Japan is less litigious than the U.S. (There are, in fact, more sumo wrestlers than lawyers in Japan.)
While true, this is likely not relevant here. The legal residual from the federal ban and the perceived danger of alcohol availability was very much a unique North American peculiarity and hence you simply could not run a beer vending machine in most places.
The modern soft prohibition is unfortunately slowly spreading into Europe and Asia as well.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by weero
While true, this is likely not relevant here. The legal residual from the federal ban and the perceived danger of alcohol availability was very much a unique North American peculiarity and hence you simply could not run a beer vending machine in most places.
I believe this is directly related to liability insurance. Just as you can successfully sue a bar for serving you too much if you get into an accident, I'm sure you could also sue the vending machine operators for "serving" you.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Yea the bartender probably thought they were both for him.

I wonder about ordering doubles. I've never done it except at ORD when they gave me drink tickets, I asked her for a bigger glass and a double so I wouldn't have to come back and she was fine with it.

This is like at sporting events though where they can only sell you 2, unless you have someone else with you.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold
While in NRT, you can self-serve as many adult beverages as you want, and even buy beer in vending machines on the street in any Japanese city.

But, somehow, Japan hasn't fallen apart because of this lack of nanny state intrusion.
I had read that the beer vending machines in Japan went away several years ago because somebody finally figured out they were an easy way for high schoolers to circumvent the legal drinking age (well, duh!). Is that not the case?

When I lived there you could also get 750s of whiskey from vending machines.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Detroiter

But, somehow, Japan hasn't fallen apart because of this lack of nanny state intrusion.
I had read that the beer vending machines in Japan went away several years ago because somebody finally figured out they were an easy way for high schoolers to circumvent the legal drinking age (well, duh!). Is that not the case?

Just back from Japan, didn't see a single beer vending machine, and I was looking! Was not in Tokyo proper though.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 25, 2015 at 10:57 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Detroiter

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Just back from Japan, didn't see a single beer vending machine, and I was looking! Was not in Tokyo proper though.
I've heard they'll sell almost anything in Japanese vending machines...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No - they are across the bay.
Yes and they're golden too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.