Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA5622 [22-April,2015] ORD-BDL: Emergency landing @ BUF due to ill psgr.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA5622 [22-April,2015] ORD-BDL: Emergency landing @ BUF due to ill psgr.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Seems like Skywest is stretching the truth here. Why did they fly a different aircraft in to fly the passengers to BDL?

Makes 0 sense to claim sick passenger make such a drastic descent, then hold and land. Then a new aircraft comes in.
What is your alternate theory and what evidence supports it?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mduell
What is your alternate theory and what evidence supports it?
FAA agrees with me. Fact is multiple people got ill, flight descended rapidly to 10K, aircraft remained on the ground, while a new aircraft was ferried in.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Report this morning is no mechanical difficulty with plane, just sick pax.

Put those tin foil hats away, or move this to twitter.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Based on what I've read http://foxct.com/2015/04/22/hartford...ng-in-buffalo/

It looks like several passengers besides the original one began to feel light headed and ill. I think that the Pilot reacted 100% correctly here.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LordHamster
It looks like several passengers besides the original one began to feel light headed and ill.
So... they had the fish.

Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K; Kimpton Inner Circle, Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I had this FA Crew on my flight from BDL to ORD yesterday morning. I was sitting in 1st Class and talking with the FA and he mentioned that they were to be on the ground for about 50 minutes then do the turn around back to BDL. What a bad day for them. But based on what I have read from the Hartford Courant everyone is doing okay now.

And I too have seen the FA strugggle with getting those doors shut and having to get the pilot come and pull that hammer down.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Based on what I've read http://foxct.com/2015/04/22/hartford...ng-in-buffalo/

It looks like several passengers besides the original one began to feel light headed and ill. I think that the Pilot reacted 100% correctly here.
Regardless of if it was one or multiple pax getting ill, light headed, etc. I 100% support a pilot who reacts in a safe way to cover the worst possible situation. Better to (safely) over-react than to under react and regret it later (or not live to regret it.)
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Good job by the Pilot's to get that thing down to 10K.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
I used to see water leaking in mid-flight, long long time ago can't even recall other details. So I guess it is not uncommon to have such leaks.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
I used to see water leaking in mid-flight, long long time ago can't even recall other details. So I guess it is not uncommon to have such leaks.
That would be condensation from the A/C system. It would be near impossible for water to enter the fuselage while pressurized in mid flight.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:46 pm

I find it odd that I have yet to see UA spokespeople out front. I know its a Skyways flight, but to 99% of the world who buys the tickety on UA website, check in with UA, sees a UA magazine in the seat back this is UA. Makes on wonder if they did not learn anything from the CO/Buffalo incident where CO was no where to be seen pointing to regional
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:14 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0XK2KS20150423

Reuters says paramedics evaluated 3 passengers who appear to have lost consciousness.

Not sure how they tell that, but rather different than one. Even if the fish for breakfast (urp!) was bad.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
A FA was also part of the "sick" group. Unless she took a passenger's fish I suspect there was some type of pressurization problem after all.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Could have been an HVAC problem other than pressurization, like noxious fumes.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
ABC this morning speculated...

--Possible error in cabin pressurization - not pressurized to 8000 feet, but perhaps 10000 or 11000 feet. Alarm normally triggered when pressure is equivalent to 12000 feet or higher. Pilots didn't notice higher-but-not-yet-alarm-level pressure, but a few altitude-sensitive pax did. So pilots bolted for 10K feet even without a "low pressure" alarm.

--ABC also said the oxygen masks did NOT deploy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.