Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Maryland Family claims UA made them sit in vomit on flight" or fly next day/flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Maryland Family claims UA made them sit in vomit on flight" or fly next day/flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/2015...home/25743143/

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 16, 2015 at 3:42 pm Reason: retitle with article title and more info
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Sigh... they were not "forced" to sit in vomit... they chose to.

They turned down the re-booking, I really dont see how UA was in the wrong. Probably they could have taken volunteers to take the bump... but at the end of day they made the choice to stay in those seats. Shouldnt be news.

Flame away.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
From the article: "Instead of offering to come in and scrub the seats down, the airline offered them blankets."

1. That was above and beyond for an Economy experience.

2. The FA that did this will surely be reprimanded for providing First Class amenit-eye to Economy passengers.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:52 pm

Not everybody has the flexibility to pick/choose when they can get back to work (UA offered to put them on the next day's flight).

I'm sure there were same day options on other airlines, why didn't UA offer that? Considering it was UA's fault to start with, this is the least they could've done.

Friendly skies, just sit in vomit

Originally Posted by arctikjon
Sigh... they were not "forced" to sit in vomit... they chose to.

They turned down the re-booking, I really dont see how UA was in the wrong. Probably they could have taken volunteers to take the bump... but at the end of day they made the choice to stay in those seats. Shouldnt be news.

Flame away.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
The news article claims that a United spokesperson stated that the flight attendants could not deal with the problem otherwise because they had to ensure an on-time departure.

With all of the delays that UA experiences daily, you'd think cleaning puke out of the cabin would qualify as a good reason to add one more delay to their operation.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The failure to properly clean the cabin is inexcusable.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
Not everybody has the flexibility to pick/choose when they can get back to work (UA offered to put them on the next day's flight).

I'm sure there were same day options on other airlines, why didn't UA offer that? Considering it was UA's fault to start with, this is the least they could've done.

Friendly skies, just sit in vomit
Because they don't have to... Could they have? Sure... Honestly they probably should have. We all know that holding an airline ticket is not an ironclad promise that you will get to the destination at the time stamped on the front of it. Accordingly you have to give your self a buffer in the event something happens. If I have a meeting first thing Tuesday I don't take a Monday night flight. We also don't know for certain that UA didn't try to accommodate them on alternate airlines. If this was a flight later in the day its entirely possible that seats on other flights simply didn't exist especially considering this was a family so they needed several seats on the same flight. Regardless they had to choose between getting home that day and staying in those seats.

They chose to remain and then decided to make it a media event... I just dont have a ton of tolerance for that kind of behavior.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I dont really blame the cleaners, I blame the irrational turn times for these flights.

The cleaning crew (when there is one) doesn't even stand a chance.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
That's a big miss for the cleaning crew. Not to be gross, but vomit smells. It's not something you wouldn't notice.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
So many posters here lack simple empathy. United could have and should have done better, that's the nuts and bolts of it, period.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by arctikjon
I dont really blame the cleaners, I blame the irrational turn times for these flights.

The cleaning crew (when there is one) doesn't even stand a chance.
That aircraft should not have been allowed to depart without being properly cleaned. Period.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
That aircraft should not have been allowed to depart without being properly cleaned. Period.
Probably so, but I bet a proper cleaning would have resulted in misconnects...pick your poison. By the way, I wonder if vomit under one's seat is a health hazard (note that they apparently weren't "sitting in vomit", as the thread title and media report imply).
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Probably so, but I bet a proper cleaning would have resulted in misconnects...pick your poison. By the way, I wonder if vomit under one's seat is a health hazard (note that they apparently weren't "sitting in vomit", as the thread title and media report imply).
One is figurative poison, and the other is literal poison.

I know which one I'd pick, but shouldn't the Public Health regulators somewhere in government have a say in this judgement call?

Remember a few months ago when Ebola incubating pax were flying United? How do we know where these particular bodily fluids originated or what they contained?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by transportprof
One is figurative poison, and the other is literal poison.

I know which one I'd pick, but shouldn't the Public Health regulators somewhere in government have a say in this judgement call?

Remember a few months ago when Ebola incubating pax were flying United? How do we know where these particular bodily fluids originated or what they contained?
I agree. I think that the flight crew erred on this one. Vomit is one of those fluids that I tend to avoid whenever possible.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:45 pm

By the way, I haven't searched for a while, but are the barf bags still provided in the seat pocket on UA?

Last edited by goalie; Apr 16, 2015 at 4:20 pm Reason: removed trolling comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.