Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can you mix and match airlines on awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Forgive me if the question sounds like a newbie but despite redeeming many awards, they've always been either on one airline or a codeshare with a UA flight number.

Can you mix and match airlines for an award, say Air Canada flight + United fight on the outbound and Singapore Airlines flight (no UA flight number) + Air Canada on the return. Or Lufthansa outbound and Austrian return? These airline combinations are made up.

Can you stitch together several semi-stopovers such that they are technically not a stopover but only a stop of 8-12 hours? For example, SIN-PVG/PVG-YVR/YVR-ORD with a quick visit to the cities of Shanghai and Vancouver?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Box5
Forgive me if the question sounds like a newbie but despite redeeming many awards, they've always been either on one airline or a codeshare with a UA flight number.

Can you mix and match airlines for an award, say Air Canada flight + United fight on the outbound and Singapore Airlines flight (no UA flight number) + Air Canada on the return. Or Lufthansa outbound and Austrian return? These airline combinations are made up.

Can you stitch together several semi-stopovers such that they are technically not a stopover but only a stop of 8-12 hours? For example, SIN-PVG/PVG-YVR/YVR-ORD with a quick visit to the cities of Shanghai and Vancouver?
Yes - this is all possible, and easier if you call in vs. using the web site. Hwever, UA now has a rule that one can have a maximum of 8 segments on a reward itinerary -- 4 in each direction. A stopover is counted when an international itinerary shows a break in travel of more than 24 hours in a particular city, so you can go far longer than 8-12 hours. I'd suggest you have a list of flights you want prior to calling in.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Yes to both questions.

Any stop less than 24 hours counts as a connection rather than a stopover.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Forgive me if the question sounds like a newbie but despite redeeming many awards, they've always been either on one airline or a codeshare with a UA flight number. ...
awards are never booked as codeshare, only as native flight operator codes.
.... Can you mix and match airlines for an award, say Air Canada flight + United fight on the outbound and Singapore Airlines flight (no UA flight number) + Air Canada on the return. Or Lufthansa outbound and Austrian return?
yes multiple flight operators can be used

.... Can you stitch together several semi-stopovers such that they are technically not a stopover but only a stop of 8-12 hours? For example, SIN-PVG/PVG-YVR/YVR-ORD with a quick visit to the cities of Shanghai and Vancouver?
yes, as long as the stop is less than 24 hours.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Yes - this is all possible, and easier if you call in vs. using the web site. Hwever, UA now has a rule that one can have a maximum of 8 segments on a reward itinerary -- 4 in each direction. A stopover is counted when an international itinerary shows a break in travel of more than 24 hours in a particular city, so you can go far longer than 8-12 hours. I'd suggest you have a list of flights you want prior to calling in.
I thought the requirement is 4 on a one-way but up to 10 on a roundtrip (5 each way, including any stopovers or open jaws).

Just last year I flew this award itin :

JFK-FRA-BKK-SIN-(stopover)-TPE-HKG (5)
open jaw
PVG-MUC-VIE-JFK (3)

Using a combination of LH, TG, BR, CA, and OS.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VickyKing
I thought the requirement is 4 on a one-way but up to 10 on a roundtrip (5 each way, including any stopovers or open jaws).
It depends on the award. For a RT North America to South Asia, the current rule is eight transfers. It's not enforced 100% of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.