Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wall Street Likes United but Support From Pilots Continues to Lag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

ARTICLE: http://www.thestreet.com/story/13094...o&cm_ven=YAHOO

NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Management at United Airlines (UAL) increasingly has been gaining the backing of Wall Street analysts, but support among United pilots continues to lag.

"On a daily basis, pilots continue to report problems with pay, training, scheduling, hotels and transportation, crew meals, pilot-pushing and numerous other issues," wrote leaders of the United chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association, in a letter sent to United's 12,000 pilots on Friday.
Things don't sound good. I thought that is why the Pilots pay Union Dues to sort these things out.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by kettle1

Things don't sound good. I thought that is why the Pilots pay Union Dues to sort these things out.
This is pretty much a result of the letter that UA sent out to pilots at the end of February. While the pilots pay union dues, that doesn't mean the union is strong. Look at the flight attendants who also pay union dues, they still don't have a combined contract after how many years now and this continues impact the financial results for UA. Yes I know UA has been reporting record profits lately, but their results would be better if they didn't face operational difficulties associated with having flight attendant work groups working with their pre-merger contracts.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Whats "pilot-pushing"?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:00 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
An airline operator pressuring a pilot to work to keep schedule regardless of the pilot's health, rest, weather, or equipment condition.
See, e.g., http://www.alpa.org/portals/alpa/pre...lotPushing.pdf
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by drowelf
Whats "pilot-pushing"?
Here is an article: http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...-air-wisconsin
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
My experience in observing the airline industry is that the term "pilot pushing," especially in communications addressed to union members, has taken on a larger meaning than management insisting pilots fly under less than optimal circumstances. It has become a code phrase for any management attempt to increase productivity for the same pay.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by kettle1

pilots, like any work group will always complain about these items. Including the management team at UA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 31, 2015 at 11:39 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by drowelf
Whats "pilot-pushing"?
In the interest of staying fairly unbalanced

Management "making the over entitled employess actually work for a living"

Employee - "threatening the safety of the public by putting profits ahead of our professional judgement"

...and the truth is, always, somewhere twixt these two extremes
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
In the interest of staying fairly unbalanced

Management "making the over entitled employess actually work for a living"

Employee - "threatening the safety of the public by putting profits ahead of our professional judgement"

...and the truth is, always, somewhere twixt these two extremes
And the truth also is that if the pilots are right about a safety issue and management is wrong, and the flight goes as scheduled and there is a problem, no one on the management team pays for their error in quite the same way as the pilots do.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
And the truth also is that if the pilots are right about a safety issue and management is wrong, and the flight goes as scheduled and there is a problem, no one on the management team pays for their error in quite the same way as the pilots do.
The insinuation that airline management put profits or getting a flight out ahead of safety is silly. While it's true they aren't on the plane, nothing kills management incentives like an incident that could have been avoided. On the other hand, there's no leverage for the pilots' union quite like bringing up safety. It's like invoicing 9/11 in the name of all-things aviation security related.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
The insinuation that airline management put profits or getting a flight out ahead of safety is silly. While it's true they aren't on the plane, nothing kills management incentives like an incident that could have been avoided. On the other hand, there's no leverage for the pilots' union quite like bringing up safety. It's like invoicing 9/11 in the name of all-things aviation security related.
Fly, with that said, I think there's been a handful of documented incidents that clearly show there's room for improvement, both in culture, and in specific processes. I would never say management is blatantly putting profits ahead of safety, but they certainly are going about their business in a way that leaves some to be desired (in regards to this topic of safety). They can do better.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:47 pm

ALPA is complaining?

Say it ain't so
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Fly, with that said, I think there's been a handful of documented incidents that clearly show there's room for improvement, both in culture, and in specific processes. I would never say management is blatantly putting profits ahead of safety, but they certainly are going about their business in a way that leaves some to be desired (in regards to this topic of safety). They can do better.
There will be always be opportunities to improve safety and I'm pretty sure there are mechanisms for workers to raise issues for the company to address. Using safety to publicly negotiate does not demonstrate a superior commitment on the part of workers, it's simply a negotiating ploy.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Perhaps I am just dense, but I fail to see the union blatantly using safety as a public negotiating position here. "pilot-pushing" is mentioned at the end of a long list of other issues and is not sensationalized in the least.

"On a daily basis, pilots continue to report problems with pay, training, scheduling, hotels and transportation, crew meals, pilot-pushing and numerous other issues," wrote leaders of the United chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association, in a letter sent to United's 12,000 pilots on Friday.
It seems instead the union is using your "mechanisms for workers to raise issues for the company to address" but it is not bringing about acceptable resolution. The union is simply saying they will not work overtime to help the company when the company doesn't want to live up to their obligations of the contract.

It amazes me that United cannot manage their union relations any better, at least from an outsiders view.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
It amazes me that United cannot manage their union relations any better, at least from an outsiders view.
I don't know of many airlines anywhere that have good relations with any union.

As for ALPA, there's not any other union that I can think of that complains publicly this much. They talk about safety, yet their pilot group at UA has unprecedented power over the operation. This is a group who has the ability to refuse to fly for any reason. They can, and have, refused aircraft for issues as small as a clogged galley drain. If ever there was a group that cries wolf to get attention, it's them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.