Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Question on upgrade availability for Hawaii from ORD vs. IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat

I am currently waitlisted for an upgrade from ORD to HNL for a flight in August. R is currently 0 on my flight and all C seats are available. I recently looked at IAH to HNL and saw flights with R9 on the same 777 config. also with all seats C shown as available (flights show about the same number total seats booked). My question is, why would IAH flights have R and ORD flights have none. I'm just wondering if R0 from ORD is actually not true and they just haven't opened up any R space yet. Would they really have a different procedure to allocate R at different airports?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:31 pm

It's based on projected demand for those seats. There may be more demand for paid C out of ORD than out of IAH. And there is really no way to predict with certainty whether R will open up on a given flight on a given day.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JetAway
It's based on projected demand for those seats. There may be more demand for paid C out of ORD than out of IAH. And there is really no way to predict with certainty whether R will open up on a given flight on a given day.
It's not that simple. IAH-HNL still requires a Premier co-pay for mileage upgrades and is not CPU eligible. Neither these apply to the ORD flight. The co-pay out of Houston made sense when the lie-flat seats were the standard. Now that the plane is the same as the crummy Hawaii 777 used out of Chicago, the upgrade premium and lack of CPUs makes no sense. United is going to treat R release differently on the two flights.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's not that simple. IAH-HNL still requires a Premier co-pay for mileage upgrades and is not CPU eligible. Neither these apply to the ORD flight. The co-pay out of Houston made sense when the lie-flat seats were the standard. Now that the plane is the same as the crummy Hawaii 777 used out of Chicago, the upgrade premium and lack of CPUs makes no sense. United is going to treat R release differently on the two flights.
I was trying to make it easy for the OP to understand.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
ORD<->IAH is CPU Eligible? I thought that only West Coast->Hawaii was CPU Eligible?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani
ORD-HNL, DEN-HNL and West Coast to HNL is CPU eligible. IAH-HNL, EWR-HNL and IAD-HNL is not.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: United Gold
Instead of ORD or IAH, why not try IAD or EWR the 767 has flat seats
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Cool, I get it, things are never simple . Thanks for all the replies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.