Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on New Premium Cabin Meals on United Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update on New Premium Cabin Meals on United Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I was on a short UAX flight yesterday afternoon and received a new version of the snack mix. If it is the "premium fruit and nut snack mix" then I am really disappointed in this "enhancement".

The thing was tiny...less then an ounce. It was mostly raisins with some sesame sticks and almonds...and I kid you not, one sliver of cashew.

The sesame sticks, which I usually like, were mushy due to be packaged with the fruit. Nuts did not taste very good either.

i dunno. maybe you were on a plane that got it early somehow, not sure. but the announcement said that it's starting on march 1st, so who knows.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
Hot meals are served on AC's RJs.
AC's E175's have ovens and serve hot meals consistent with mainline standards but the AC CR7 aircraft don't have ovens, and serve cold meals in J.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kmfdm91
I 100 per cent agree...the real question here is why (aside from very specific flights) are RJs even used at ALL on 2h20m+ flights in the first place...I remember seeing the UA schedule and seeing some EWR and IAD to Mountain time zone cities and started laughing...why would ANYONE ever do that to themselves, especially on UA!!!

-jeremy
For the meal, of course- at least that is what UA is hoping.

Kind of like the the weight room being a 'benefit' when you are in prison.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Thanks for the update and definitely an improvement. Just a pity that the breakfast options are all lactose full --- yogurt & milk for the cereal. So a lactose intolerant person will only be able to eat the fruit and maybe the biscuit. Definitely better than nothing but an option like oatmeal with hot water would be nice.

Thanks,
RM
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few weeks ago I had an disagreement with an FA on a UAX flight. She insisted that my flight was not on her list of getting a snackbox. I had been on the same flight multiple times and had gotten the box.

She even showed me the list and my flight, even though it was over the distance, was not on the list! With this change, I hope UA/UAX has a better way of letting the FAs know what to serve.

Last edited by username; Feb 27, 2015 at 2:39 am
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by username
A few weeks ago I had an disagreement with an FA on a UAX flight. She insisted that my flight was not on her list of getting a snackbox. I had been on the same flight multiple times and had gotten the box.

She even showed me the list and my flight, even though it was over the distance, was not on the list! With this change, I hope UA/UAX has a better way of letting the FAs know what to serve.
Was it the same UAX carrier? I fly DSM-ORD and back all the time, every day of the week, all times of day. It is about 50 min wheels up to wheels down. All the UAX carriers serve full beverage service in coach ... except one, Trans States or something. FA told me was FAA regulation preventing them from serving beverages on the flight.

Maybe like that ExpressJet "FAA rule" of no roller bags in the cabin, even though the other UAX carriers enforce no such rule.

Even tho they all say UAX, I wonder if they each have their rules they follow, so no consistency across the UAX product for the passenger.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dorisrpas
Was it the same UAX carrier?
I don't think it was since I made a mental note that they must have taken over that route from another UAX carrier for it to be not on the list of snack-box eligible routes. This assumes different UAX carriers use different catering services out of ORD. That can't be, can it?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by username
This assumes different UAX carriers use different catering services out of ORD. That can't be, can it?
That is what I was wondering, since as I understand it, as soon as you step on the RJ you are dealing with the regional carrier DBA as UAX.

The first time it happened to me on the Trans States (or whoever it was), I dismissed it as uninformed FA. The second time, when I pressed the FA attendant explaining I take this flight all the time and there is always full beverage service, is when she came back with the not allowed because of FAA.

I've definitely learned to have zero expectations on UAX flights other than getting from point A to point B since there seem to be at least subtle differences between them.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I was on a short UAX flight yesterday afternoon and received a new version of the snack mix. If it is the "premium fruit and nut snack mix" then I am really disappointed in this "enhancement".

The thing was tiny...less then an ounce. It was mostly raisins with some sesame sticks and almonds...and I kid you not, one sliver of cashew.

The sesame sticks, which I usually like, were mushy due to be packaged with the fruit. Nuts did not taste very good either.

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
i dunno. maybe you were on a plane that got it early somehow, not sure. but the announcement said that it's starting on march 1st, so who knows.
We will find out soon enough. Mine was a tiny light-blue bag. It was from "summer harvest" or something like that.
Felt more like an after-nap snack for a nursery school then a service in a First Class airplane cabin.

Last edited by goodeats21; Feb 27, 2015 at 12:52 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
We will find out soon enough. Mine was a tiny light-blue bag. It was from "summer harvest" or something like that.
Felt more like a an after-nap snack for a nursery school then a service in a First Class airplane cabin.
I had the same snack yesterday on a ERJ-170. I thought it was too small and horrible. What I did like was being offered two different red wines, I don't think I've seen that in a while.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Can someone explain to me what a "full beverage service" is? Do you mean a full range of beverages, from liquors and wine to beer and soft drinks/juices? Or is it meant to mean plastic cups of crabapple juice, Sierra Mist (?!), and water?

The "full beverage service" on my recent CRJ 700 coffin-flight from Cincinnati to Denver was certainly the latter, not the former. Heck, even on Horizon Airlines Q400s, beer and local PNW wines are served (at no cost, I might add).

I have to say, again, that a flight scheduled for 3 hours 20 minutes on a CRJ700 (70 passengers - 1 toilet!) is simply unacceptable for a carrier that advertises itself as "its time to fly the friendly skies". It is a mere shell of its former self and it should frankly be ashamed to be touting a "BBQ chicken stuffed bagel" (phew!) as an improvement to its first class 'meals' on regional jets.

If readers get the sense that I was unhappy with the experience two days ago, I without question was shocked and disappointed! Truly pathetic...
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by bob_the_d
without turning this into a flame war, do AA and DL have ovens in their RJ's? i ask because years ago when i was an explat, i remember the RJ's having full meals in F, but they were always cold (like full meal salads) because i don't remember them having ovens. curious if that's changed on the other side of the fence.
Back in the Northwest days, Compass and Mesaba had ovens on their E175 and CRJ-900 aircraft respectively and I definitely recall being served hot meals on them. Post merger Delta cut hot meals on flights under 1500 miles and the last few times I've flown on the same aircraft the ovens have still been installed but there's a collar over the pulled circuit breaker in the forward galley implying that the oven has been deactivated.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by pacman3
Can someone explain to me what a "full beverage service" is? Do you mean a full range of beverages, from liquors and wine to beer and soft drinks/juices? Or is it meant to mean plastic cups of crabapple juice, Sierra Mist (?!), and water?

The "full beverage service" on my recent CRJ 700 coffin-flight from Cincinnati to Denver was certainly the latter, not the former. Heck, even on Horizon Airlines Q400s, beer and local PNW wines are served (at no cost, I might add).

I have to say, again, that a flight scheduled for 3 hours 20 minutes on a CRJ700 (70 passengers - 1 toilet!) is simply unacceptable for a carrier that advertises itself as "its time to fly the friendly skies". It is a mere shell of its former self and it should frankly be ashamed to be touting a "BBQ chicken stuffed bagel" (phew!) as an improvement to its first class 'meals' on regional jets.

If readers get the sense that I was unhappy with the experience two days ago, I without question was shocked and disappointed! Truly pathetic...
Yes, the CRJ700 on a 3 hour flight is bad. They run the same aircraft DAY->DEN, which I don't ever book. Sometimes the EMB145 even shows up on that route. Crazy.

Back on topic, yes, a full beverage service means choice of anything on board. On United Express, it will always be served in a plastic cup. They choose to not use any real glassware. Just like every United flight, in economy class you will be charged for any alcohol drinks.

There is a pretty big difference between all the different airlines operating under the UAX name. I have recently taken a couple of SkyWest operated flights and noticed they did not serve economy drinks from the cart, but just walked up the aisle with tray of pre-poured drinks. They also didn't serve PDB in First Class, despite AMPLE time. (delay due to baggage issue)

I had been mostly on GoJet operated flights, and they were much better. Always PDB regardless of timing and full beverage service in economy, even on 45 minute flights.

United's oversight of their UAX operation is pathetic. There is no consistency and the patients are running the asylum.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
A 50 minute wheels up ORD-DSM should get a beverage. That should be a mainline flight but it's one of many ORD flights that have gone Express. I flew that route weekly on mainline and always had a beverage service. Not just water and juice.

Oh well, at least ORD-MSN gets mainline.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
UA Pink Tag??

I'm flying from BOS-ORD on a CR7 and was wondering in UA does the same thing. Like a gate to gate delivery system, I am connecting on to ANC and want to have my roller with me in ORD ( Where I am for 4 hrs)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.