Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR-CAE, The Port Authority Chairman Express?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-CAE, The Port Authority Chairman Express?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm actually surprised that UA did this. Oh, sure, the fact that the PA Chairman liked to fly to CAE might give a little extra impetus to launch a route, but once a week for his weekend convenience? It would have been less obvious had they just stuck some cash in an envelope and delivered it once a week.

I wondered if the airlines' legal team cleared this. Seems a bit like a bribe to me.

And we do know from the ACY thing that UA would go to unusual lengths to keep the PA happy.

BTW, if DL operates daily CAE flights from LGA, why the need for this, um, service?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by miasmal
He could have flown into CLT, MYR, or GSP and taken a limo ride to CAE.
Perhaps... CLT is only an hour from CAE, but it's another hour from there to Aiken. MYR and GSP are significantly further. AGS is actually the closest airport, not sure why he didn't extort them into direct service there. But, the limo ride wouldn't have saved any time over connecting to AGS.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by iahphx
BTW, if DL operates daily CAE flights from LGA, why the need for this, um, service?
Have you tried to get from NJ to LGA?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Is that where the PA offices are these days?

Honestly, though, even if I lived/worked in NJ, that would be good enough for me given the obscurity of the destination. And I would think 1x weekly would be a difficult schedule to tailor my busy schedule to.

And the fact that I likely had a personal driver/car to take me across town.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:21 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The most shocking part of this is that it was an aircraft without first class ...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:31 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if UA gave him Chairman's Circle status.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Why didn't he just fly on donor's private jets and leave taxpayers with the bills for his trips as per the NJ norm now being set?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm actually surprised that UA did this. Oh, sure, the fact that the PA Chairman liked to fly to CAE might give a little extra impetus to launch a route, but once a week for his weekend convenience? It would have been less obvious had they just stuck some cash in an envelope and delivered it once a week.
The real surprising thing is how service was discontinued immediately after he resigned.

At least if they're gonna do this, they didn't have to be so obvious about it.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beckles
The most shocking part of this is that it was an aircraft without first class ...
How did THAT happen.

Originally Posted by channa
The real surprising thing is how service was discontinued immediately after he resigned.

I suppose, but it was still pretty obvious. How many routes in the system operate on Thursdays in one direction and Mondays in the other?

I'm guessing it's now zero.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
That was my first thought too. Chairman flew in Y (that too on a regional)?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I suppose, but it was still pretty obvious. How many routes in the system operate on Thursdays in one direction and Mondays in the other?

I'm guessing it's now zero.
Cogent question. Someone with access to good timetable data stored in a relational database could tell us that. I bet there is something interesting in there. mduell?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
At least you wouldn't have to take the GW Bridge I hear it can get pretty clogged up with traffic every now and then.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by channa

We're talking about "Lone Star State" Management "think" or "thunk". UA should have kept the route for a couple of months on the schedule (but cancel the 4 flts per week due to MX). Than discontinue the route. A 10 year old kid could figure this out.

Instead, UA has this mess to explain.

Last edited by kettle1; Feb 6, 2015 at 8:45 pm
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
About ten ten years ago CO initiated once a week service to a leisure destination at my request. I actually asked one of their leisure route managers and he got the flight added. It only lasted one season, but I did get to use it a couple times. I paid the going rate for my tickets and didn't think twice about the ethics of the situation. Of course, I don't have any political influence that might or might not allow me to offer an occasional "favor" to the company.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Air Houston
About ten ten years ago CO initiated once a week service to a leisure destination at my request. I actually asked one of their leisure route managers and he got the flight added. It only lasted one season, but I did get to use it a couple times. I paid the going rate for my tickets and didn't think twice about the ethics of the situation. Of course, I don't have any political influence that might or might not allow me to offer an occasional "favor" to the company.
This is remarkable - but awesome. I have trouble seeing this happening today given the amount of data they have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.