Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Is My UA Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [2015/2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Many of the questions about the validity of itineraries containing open jaws or stopovers can be found in the wiki at: Consolidated Rules for Open Jaw and Stopover Award Flights. Please read that prior to posting questions.

United air travel award rules
MP Star Alliance air travel award rules

Previous thread -Consolidated "Is My UA Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [2014]
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Is My UA Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [2015/2016]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by svellmann
Hi all,

I have been playing a lot with the online award booking tool but some trips just don't price out, so I would like to ask a few questions here.

Planning to originate from HKG (2 pax), joining us ex-SIN are 2 more pax, and we're looking to do:

[HKG] - SIN (transfer for 2 of us coming from HKG, origin for the other 2) - AKL or MEL or SYD (transfer)- ZQN (stopover) - [open jaw] CHC - AKL (transfer) - PPT (destination) - AKL (transfer) - SIN (transfer for 2 going to HKG, end of trip for 2 originating there) - HKG (end of trip for the other 2)

1. Is the above routing legal? It has at most 1 open jaw, 1 stopover, 5 transfers and total 8 segments. Should price out to 35k miles, i.e. a SE Asia - Oceania round-trip with AUS/NZ stopover. I have price out simpler itineraries online before between SE Asia and Oceania and NZ/AUS and it priced out to 35k.
2. A <24 hour layover in AKL/MEL/SYD is possible, right?
3. If so, can we do <24h layovers in several places or any limit? I.e. could we do <24 hours in MEL on the way there and <24 hours in AKL on the way back?
4. The trip originating in SIN for 2 pax is paid out of one account and the trip out of HKG is paid out of 2 accounts, so 3 accounts in total. Will/should the agent be able to handle all in one go and charge the miles out of different accounts respectively, or do we need to call separately for every single passenger? Or separately once for the ex-SIN itinerary and once for ex-HKG?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice.
Good luck finding availability for 3 passengers on SQ/NZ. I suspect it is not legal routing, you have:
[HKG]-SIN-AKL-ZQN/stopover/open-jaw/CHC-AKL-PPT/destination/PPT-AKL-SIN-[HKG]

You can't have both destination and open-jaw. You can redeem: SIN-AKL-ZQN(stopover)-CHC//PPT-AKL-SIN, and redeem or pay for your own CHC-PPT.

I don't see any issues with <24h stops, I once had an award with three <24h stops.

And #4, also probably won't work. You have 1 account redeeming 2 tickets [OK], and you would like to use 2 accounts to redeem 1 ticket (?!?), you can't redeem from 2 accounts, you'll have to transfer points from one account to another (and incur whatever transfer fees). A competent agent should be able to issue 3 tickets from whatever accounts at once, likely different PNR.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.
Trying to find out if Asia-EU-S. America is going to be valid (e.g. bkk-fra-gru) on a single reward.

I normally fly to Asia a couples time a year and have no problem routing through Europe from N America. But is S. America any different?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Good luck finding availability for 3 passengers on SQ/NZ. I suspect it is not legal routing, you have:
[HKG]-SIN-AKL-ZQN/stopover/open-jaw/CHC-AKL-PPT/destination/PPT-AKL-SIN-[HKG]

You can't have both destination and open-jaw. You can redeem: SIN-AKL-ZQN(stopover)-CHC//PPT-AKL-SIN, and redeem or pay for your own CHC-PPT.

I don't see any issues with <24h stops, I once had an award with three <24h stops.

And #4, also probably won't work. You have 1 account redeeming 2 tickets [OK], and you would like to use 2 accounts to redeem 1 ticket (?!?), you can't redeem from 2 accounts, you'll have to transfer points from one account to another (and incur whatever transfer fees). A competent agent should be able to issue 3 tickets from whatever accounts at once, likely different PNR.
Thanks for the response!

We're booking when the schedule opens, so availability should be okay for four passengers in Y on SQ/NZ if planned well.

No other issues besides open-jawing a stopover, especially are 5 transfers and total 8 segements fine?

Does anyone else have any input on whether a stopover can be open-jawed? I think I have priced out itineraries of this kind online before that were simpler where I open-jawed stopovers (e.g. similar but simpler trip as mentioned, but open-jaw stopover between PER and MEL). In the worst case, I will just not open-jaw it and fly into and out of ZQN or CHC.

Re: <24 hour stops, awesome! Thank you.
Re: miles from different accounts. Just to clarify: we are 4 passengers total and each needs 35k for the trip. There is 2 accounts with 35k+ each who would start and end the trip in HKG and 1 account with 70k+ for two more passengers who would start and end in SIN (same trip as the other two, except missing the HKG-SIN/SIN-HKG segements).
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:11 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Looking at an award roundtrip USA-Cambodia, with an OJ at dest. and stopover in Phuket on the way back. Here is what I have found:
SFO-ICN-REP (destination)
PNH-BKK-HKT (stopover)
HKT-HKG (under 24hr stop)
HKG-ICN-SFO

Anyone see any problems w/my proposed routing?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aau
Looking at an award roundtrip USA-Cambodia, with an OJ at dest. and stopover in Phuket on the way back. Here is what I have found:
SFO-ICN-REP (destination)
PNH-BKK-HKT (stopover)
HKT-HKG (under 24hr stop)
HKG-ICN-SFO

Anyone see any problems w/my proposed routing?
The routing's fine, but you have five segments on your return, which could be an issue. That award technically has a four segment max each way.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:40 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
The routing's fine, but you have five segments on your return, which could be an issue. That award technically has a four segment max each way.
Thanks, I thought the rule was max 4 connections each way. If it is an issue I'll probably drop the PNH-BKK segment.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:07 am

Routing validity question

I think I posted this question in the wrong thread.
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Hello FT!

Great forum!

Please can the experts weigh in if one of these routings are valid for a UA round-trip award ticket?

Routing #1

DFW-IAH-NRT-HKG

few days later:
BKK-DPS - stopover

Few days later:
CGK-BKK - destination

Few days later
BKK-NRT-IAH-DFW

I am concerned that the first open-jaw at HKG will not be valid.

Routing # 2:
DFW-IAH-NRT-HKG

Few days later:
DPS/CGK - BKK

Few days later:
BKK-NRT-IAH-DFW

Not sure if I can stopover and open jaw at HKG.

The only reason I want to stop few days in HKG is because I would like to go to REP from there (via KA award ticket). However, that creates a problem especially with the routing # 1 .

Other option is to do:
USA-DPS (stopover)
CGK-BKK (destination) (visit REP from BKK using PG)
BKK-USA

Downside to this is that the hotel rates at REP go way higher on the dates I am looking at if I do the REP visit at the end. .
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
What are you using to search awards?

I've been trying to find availability for award travel to SCL and EZE in August using the award search on united.com but am seeing really weird results. The initial page will show tons of Saver 1st awards (green) but when I go to select them it errors out and says it can't complete the search. Is this just a temp glitch in the site or should I be searching elsewhere?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Hi All,

Sorry if this seems like a repeat. I have recently booked an award flight to Japan via Europe. I now have a family member who wants to join us on part of the trip (on a paid ticket). I have the potential to be in synch with this member if I change my award flight. I wondered if this is a valid itinerary. (Assuming the 2 oceans rule is okay)

DFW-YYZ-HND Destination
HND-ICN-FRA-ZRH Stopover
ZRH-EWR-DFW

DFW-YYZ (22 hour layover in YYZ)
HND-ICN (22 hour layover in ICN)

I get confused sometimes because of connection vs segment. I thought connections are points between the origin and destination. But some seems to use connection and segment interchangeably.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by DavidWeb
Hi All,

Sorry if this seems like a repeat. I have recently booked an award flight to Japan via Europe. I now have a family member who wants to join us on part of the trip (on a paid ticket). I have the potential to be in synch with this member if I change my award flight. I wondered if this is a valid itinerary. (Assuming the 2 oceans rule is okay)

DFW-YYZ-HND Destination
HND-ICN-FRA-ZRH Stopover
ZRH-EWR-DFW

DFW-YYZ (22 hour layover in YYZ)
HND-ICN (22 hour layover in ICN)

I get confused sometimes because of connection vs segment. I thought connections are points between the origin and destination. But some seems to use connection and segment interchangeably.
Recent change that was successful. This priced as the following:

DFW-YYZ (22 hour layover)
YYZ-HND (Destination)
HND-GMP (22 hour layover)
ICN-FRA-ZRH (Stopover)
ZRH-EWR-DFW

I was able to cross 2 oceans in this itinerary.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DavidWeb
Recent change that was successful. This priced as the following:

DFW-YYZ (22 hour layover)
YYZ-HND (Destination)
HND-GMP (22 hour layover)
ICN-FRA-ZRH (Stopover)
ZRH-EWR-DFW

I was able to cross 2 oceans in this itinerary.
That auto-priced?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
I tried to look at the wiki for that but I couldn't find it.

Can I make a stopover on a more award miles expensive location and be charged by the destination?

Example: Middle East to Europe is 50K round trip on X.
Middle East to Central Asia is 40K round trip on X.

so, TLV-FRA-TLV would be priced at 50K. but will TLV-FRA(Stopover)-MLE-FRA-TLV would be priced at 40K as the destination is MLE? or would be charged 50K as I'm doing a stop over in Europe?

Thanks,
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That auto-priced?
I had to call in as a change. The agent seemed to have some difficulty, but in the end was able to do it. I didn't hear anything regarding auto-priced or not. I just called in and said I want to change these flights. She entered everything and told me the extra I needed to pay (extra airport fee and the change fee).

I originally had

DFW-FRA-ICN
GMP-HND-HKD
NRT-ZRH
ZRH-EWR-DFW

But we are trying to synch with a family member for part of the trip, so I called in to see if I could change my itinerary. It worked.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 27, 2015 at 9:51 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: UA, SW, US, DL
I am trying the following itinerary on ua.com and keep getting the error. Is it because my itinerary is invalid? I am aiming for 1 stopover and 2 open jaws on a RT.

IAH-PEK
HKG-DEL
CCU-IAH

I checked the availability of each one-way on the exact dates. But I error out when I try the above multiple destination itinerary. What am I missing here? Any help to point me in the right direction is appreciated.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by slbnoob
I am trying the following itinerary on ua.com and keep getting the error. Is it because my itinerary is invalid? I am aiming for 1 stopover and 2 open jaws on a RT.

IAH-PEK
HKG-DEL
CCU-IAH

I checked the availability of each one-way on the exact dates. But I error out when I try the above multiple destination itinerary. What am I missing here? Any help to point me in the right direction is appreciated.
The OJ at the stopover point often causes issues in the system and was always a gray area in the rules. Pricing it online is almost certainly not going to work. You might get lucky with an agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.