Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Is it really? Lol, it sounds exactly like UA.
This UA seems to be a bit better to listening to customers. All they had to do is move the button, a few inches forward on the armrest.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I'm hoping this image uploads correctly. This is a picture of the armrest of a AC 787 in coach, that I flew on in August. The call button is right there at my elbow. I did accidentally hit it at least once, but noticed no dings during the flight.

Do you think the difference is that AC turns off the dings? Apparently the arm-rest call button is not limited to United.
I was on an AC 787 a couple of years ago. Can't vouch for them turning the dings off back then but while the control was not in a great spot, I didn't seem to have the same trouble that I had on the UA 777. CDG - YYZ and I might have turned on the overhead light a couple of times.

I also don't remember seeing any mass complaints about the call button back then too.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: UA
Besides hitting it with your elbow, is the button placement easy to use? I've been on planes where I had to the opposite arm to press the buttons because it was too awkward/hard to hit it with the arm that was directly above it.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Do you think the difference is that AC turns off the dings? Apparently the arm-rest call button is not limited to United.
I think the arm-rest call+other buttons was actually quite common in the past. I just flew some NH 767's and UA 747's, which all have some buttons in the armrest. The difference is they're either in a lowered area the end of the armrest, or embedded under a moving cover, with a even deeper window to access the buttons (i.e. on NH, you can see a few buttons through the armrest, you can then flip open the armrest to reveal an entire remote control for the IFE).

But they clearly didn't think things through when redesigning the controls for modern planes...
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Besides hitting it with your elbow, is the button placement easy to use? I've been on planes where I had to the opposite arm to press the buttons because it was too awkward/hard to hit it with the arm that was directly above it.
It was very easy to use.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: UAL 1K Million+ miler, Bonvoy Titanium Elite for Life
Just flew the retrofit 777 DEN - HNL in 1E. Very narrow seats, horrible overhead space, wifi didn't work. Typical Hawaii "Cattle Class" bird. Hate flying to Hawaii on these overcrowded sardine cans.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
So have the DirectTV 737s that are flying from LAX and SFO become the preferred birds to Hawaii? IFE that doesn't work outside of ~10 looped movies, narrowbody, limited F upgrade availability... Sad...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
So have the DirectTV 737s that are flying from LAX and SFO become the preferred birds to Hawaii? IFE that doesn't work outside of ~10 looped movies, narrowbody, limited F upgrade availability... Sad...
The 767s would be my top pick in Y, if you live out east and can make the schedule work.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
The 767s would be my top pick in Y, if you live out east and can make the schedule work.
The international 752s also pop up on the Saturday-only DEN-KOA/OGG/LIH* flights. That wouldn't be such a bad pick.

*DEN-LIH is seasonal, but I'm pretty sure DEN-KOA/OGG operate year-round.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Divatraveler
Just flew the retrofit 777 DEN - HNL in 1E. Very narrow seats, horrible overhead space, wifi didn't work. Typical Hawaii "Cattle Class" bird. Hate flying to Hawaii on these overcrowded sardine cans.
The IPTE J seat is indeed too narrow for some. Did you try and collapse the armrests? That can help alieviate the sardine can feeling that you may experience, more so in the inner 2 seats. As a tall but not wide individual, these seats are great for me, since they are long - at least when they are configured in the 3-class aircraft.

Speaking of, does anybody know if they trimmed the length of these seats, a la the 747-400 upper deck IPTE seats, or if they are identicle to the 3-class 777 IPTE C? That would be interesting, and a helpful nugget, to know.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Soon it will be a choice between 737s and HD 772s from SFO/LAX, with the occasional 752/3 thrown in. So low upgrades, terrible Y product.

Meanwhile, UA has been reducing both frequency and gauge on both LAX and SFO-HNL. Suspect they continue to bleed pax to competition, especially with VX now on the routes.

Putting aside FFP, HA now has the much more appealing overall product, and that gap will grow as they continue to convert their 330s to lie-flat.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Soon it will be a choice between 737s and HD 772s from SFO/LAX, with the occasional 752/3 thrown in. So low upgrades, terrible Y product.

Meanwhile, UA has been reducing both frequency and gauge on both LAX and SFO-HNL. Suspect they continue to bleed pax to competition, especially with VX now on the routes.

Putting aside FFP, HA now has the much more appealing overall product, and that gap will grow as they continue to convert their 330s to lie-flat.
And if we think it's bad now, just wait until WN enters the Hawaiian market - which now looks like late 2017 or early 2018.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I'm confused. Is UA moving to 1 or 2 configs for their domestic-config 777-200s? 1 config would be all lie-flat F (ie, 2-4-2) on domestic 777-200s while the 2 configs would be some a/c with the lie-flats and some with the cradle seat 2-3-2 birds they just implemented. I'm assuming just 1 config as the lie-flats in F also provide 10-across in Y. Anyone know the timeline?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I'm confused. Is UA moving to 1 or 2 configs for their domestic-config 777-200s? 1 config would be all lie-flat F (ie, 2-4-2) on domestic 777-200s while the 2 configs would be some a/c with the lie-flats and some with the cradle seat 2-3-2 birds they just implemented. I'm assuming just 1 config as the lie-flats in F also provide 10-across in Y. Anyone know the timeline?
Ultimately, all 777-222s will be in the new high-density configuration with flat bed IPTE seats in J (28 seats at 2-4-2) and all-new seats in a 10-abreast Y cabin with 336 seats, for a total of 364 in the new configuration. All existing aircraft with 2-3-2 barcalounger J will get the new configuration, as well as all A-market 772s (non-ER) presently in a three-cabin configuration.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by EWR764
Ultimately, all 777-222s will be in the new high-density configuration with flat bed IPTE seats in J (28 seats at 2-4-2) and all-new seats in a 10-abreast Y cabin with 336 seats, for a total of 364 in the new configuration. All existing aircraft with 2-3-2 barcalounger J will get the new configuration, as well as all A-market 772s (non-ER) presently in a three-cabin configuration.
All 777-222s? Huh - that's a lot of aircraft. Could be hard to avoid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.