Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:54 am

Any other converted (Version 5) 777 in the shop or added to the 4 already in service?

N780
N776
N778
N781
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Any other converted (Version 5) 777 in the shop or added to the 4 already in service?

N780
N776
N778
N781
N777UA is also in shop now
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Did not go away on a packed SFO-IAD... no announcements made though
Do the FAs actually still bother to respond to the call lights/dings when someone has a legitimate need/problem?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Do the FAs actually still bother to respond to the call lights/dings when someone has a legitimate need/problem?
Nope! And I don't blame them.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:28 am

I'm sure this is discussed somewhere but can't find it. Whats with the new 777-200 hawaii charts. The ones I see from sfo and ord to hnl next sept with a 3.5 row first class with some reverse seats. Why such a dumpy first class? I thought they would phase out the backwards seats they are so awkward
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by be001
I'm sure this is discussed somewhere but can't find it. Whats with the new 777-200 hawaii charts. The ones I see from sfo and ord to hnl next sept with a 3.5 row first class with some reverse seats. Why such a dumpy first class? I thought they would phase out the backwards seats they are so awkward
It's amazing. Transport yourself back to 2008, and a ghetto 777 being reconfigured with the then-brand new IPTE United Biz seat would be hearalded as the second coming of Jesus. How times change!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
It's a classic case of hand-me-downs. They're going to reuse those backward facing J seats from the international 777s that get Polaris-ized!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:09 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Why such a dumpy first class? I thought they would phase out the backwards seats they are so awkward
Some pax actually prefer to select backward facing lie flat seats so the head is elevated above feet for sleeping @:-)

Don't see how they are awkward - exactly the same seats, only facing in different direction
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Depending on which studies you read, the backward facing seats are supposedly better for sleeping since aircraft typically fly slightly nose-up, thus keeping your head above your feet. (Not sure I subscribe to that, but I've definitely heard that concept several times).

Regardless, I'd take the IPTE product all day long over the old barcaloungers with no ISP, particularly on some of those longer flights like ORD/IAH/DEN/GUM-HNL, as well as any redeye.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N515CR
Depending on which studies you read, the backward facing seats are supposedly better for sleeping since aircraft typically fly slightly nose-up, thus keeping your head above your feet. (Not sure I subscribe to that, but I've definitely heard that concept several times).

Regardless, I'd take the IPTE product all day long over the old barcaloungers with no ISP, particularly on some of those longer flights like ORD/IAH/DEN/GUM-HNL, as well as any redeye.
Those barcaloungers were themselves hand-me-downs from United's pre-IPTE international J seating. United likes to get its money's worth out of seats!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I prefer rear facing seats if I'm sleeping. I'm going to miss them when they are gone.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Ultimately doesn't matter with the IPTE seat, since it allows micro-adjustments to recline so you can create your own desired level of "tilt" regardless which direction you're facing.

It's really a great seat, too bad they squeezed it in eight across.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Depending on which studies you read, the backward facing seats are supposedly better for sleeping since aircraft typically fly slightly nose-up, thus keeping your head above your feet. (Not sure I subscribe to that, but I've definitely heard that concep
If you believe sleeping on a flat surface is best, then backwards facing will be the answer. the upward angle aircraft sit in at cruise is non trivial.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott (refuse to say Bonvoy) Plat, Le Club Accor Plat, Ntl EE
Long time reader, first time poster...

Was "thrilled" to see my 777 v4 switched up to the modified 3-4-3 v5 overnight, 48 hours before departure. The "best" part? My 16H aisle seat with all the legroom in the world was transferred to 25K, a middle seat. I called the Premier line and the woman basically laughed at me for complaining.

Oddly enough this my first UA flight in a while as I've spent the past 4 months building up a status match with Delta, and this was going to be my return to United to decide which one to use rest of this year and next. United is making this an easy decision, sadly.

My question is for anyone who has been on one of these planes...if I can snag a window seat, is the legroom limited at all by the curvature of the plane, like an E145? I know the v1/v2 have almost extra room at the window, but wasn't sure if the 10 abreast ruined that.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Cool

Originally Posted by pthwk
I called the Premier line and the woman basically laughed at me for complaining.
I feel your pain. I noticed a reservation switch from a GF-style seat to the configuration you mentioned. I called in saying I was disappointed because I chose "First" for a premium over "Business" and am now in a domestic style first class seat.

The agent, sounding quite sleepy, told me: "Go to united.com and click contact us. Fill out the form to express your concern. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

I hung up, called back, and got an agent who said I could wait for it to possibly switch back, or I could transfer to a non-stop to SFO on a PS flight. I chose to switch to the non-stop.

I am guessing my SFO-HNL will be the 2-3-2 recliners, unless a miracle happens in the next couple of days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.