Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Realistic expectation-to use United miles to travel west NRT-Eur-USA in bus. cl.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Realistic expectation-to use United miles to travel west NRT-Eur-USA in bus. cl.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak

I am planning a trip to Japan for 2016. I will have enough miles for a one way saver business class ticket from USA to Japan or vice versa. My plan would be to pay for a premium economy ticket to fly from ORD-NRT. Then after traveling through Japan for 10 days, use miles for a business class ticket to return to ORD via Europe on Lufthansa or Austrian air. Has anybody ever done this?

What would be the best routing to try for if I am able to do this?

The reason I am doing this is so that I can say I flew around the world. And to maximize my time in business class.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Your question would be better answered in the UA forum given that you want to use MP miles.
Also, don't forget effective March 1, the mileage earning rates on UA change so that may be affect the number of miles you have for your travels.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

The best routing is the one that has availability on the date you're traveling. Routing through Europe is allowed. Remember that the partner award rates are higher than United award rates for premium cabin travel.

I'm not sure why you're limiting yourself to Lufthansa and Austrian. Brussels and Swiss are solid in business as well, as is ANA.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jan 30, 2015 at 10:57 am
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 am
Original Poster

I'm relatively inexperienced with international business class travel. I'm open minded to Brussels and Swiss too. Just thought it would be fun to do this. Thanks.

I will be using credit card miles for this. Obviously I'll take whatever I can get in business class coming back. I intend to use cranky concierge to sort this out.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

As 2016 is still some time away use chase etc. to get enough miles for a return ticket. You should have enough time for some sign up bonus windfalls
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

There are 61,000 miles there now. I can get 75,000 by next December
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do you want to stop in Europe along the way or just fly that direction? It makes a difference.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

It's a relatively simple booking for one passenger. might not be worth paying a service
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold

Also, don't forget that with international travel purchasing a one way ticket and using miles for a one way return, the ticket you try to buy may be prohibitively expensive. Obviously depends on airline and route, but when I've looked in the past I've found one way international fares to be extremely expensive, more than the round trip ticket in many cases.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

CSP 40k + Ink 40k + ...... One way tickets are way too expensive. Or buy round trip and use miles to upgrade
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Do you want to stop in Europe along the way or just fly that direction? It makes a difference.
True, if you just want to transit europe, you may just pick an airline that you want to fly and go, but if you want to actually stop and see europe you may be a bit more limited.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

I just want to travel straight through. I've been to Europe on other trips. I don't have to change planes in Europe. I could change planes elsewhere. Just seemed like most of the best star alliance airlines Went through Europe.

I have established that it is possible to book a ow premium economy ticket for about 1500-1700. I'm willing to do that to get from ord-nrt.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

I don't understand this.

Originally Posted by blitzen
CSP 40k + Ink 40k + ...... One way tickets are way too expensive. Or buy round trip and use miles to upgrade
I've checked united's availability many times and see 75k miles for saver award in business. I don't recall seeing Csx 40k.

Thank you for your input.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:23 pm

Chase Saphire Preferred credit card with 40k sign up bonus. Sorry for the confusion
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Oh, I see. Thank you. I appreciate flyertalk and its members. I don't fly that often, but the data base of knowledge has endured many hassle free trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.