Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WSJ: A Disappearing Perk {Upgrades} of Being a Road Warrior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Article talks about disappearing upgrades. I wasn't surprised to discover they focus on UA.

"What he didn’t expect, though, was no refund of the $1,200 he paid United in advance for the possible upgrade. The miles required for the upgrades were returned to his account, but not the cash “copay’’ of $600 each way. He called to complain and United put through the refund, with an airline supervisor telling him the system had been broken for several years."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-disapp...ior-1422468467
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
So refunds don't always come through with CO's technology. What else is new?

At least it's getting some WSJ coverage. Maybe some DOT coverage will be next.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:55 am

This is interesting... and scary...

United spokesman Rahsaan Johnson says the airline decided in the past week to begin re-evaluating its upgrade process following many complaints, including about its policy of charging people months ahead for upgrades that might not be granted. The goal is to “make the process simpler and friendlier,’’ Mr. Johnson said. Changes could come later this year.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa

Hasn't DOT already fined them for refund fraud? I guess they didn't look at this case.

http://www.dot.gov/briefing-room/dot...urate-and-late
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by edcho
This is interesting... and scary...
Agreed.

But maybe they'll just take away the option to upgrade when there is no seat available for a paid seat.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa

This is why people need to get it through their thick skulls that no matter how nice the agent who ultimately fixes the problem was, no matter that it didn't take "that much work" to finally get the refund, people should always, always, always, always, always report refunds that required manual intervention to the DOT. It's the only way to keep getting UA fined so they finally put an end to this stupidity.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This is why people need to get it through their thick skulls that no matter how nice the agent who ultimately fixes the problem was, no matter that it didn't take "that much work" to finally get the refund, people should always, always, always, always, always report refunds that required manual intervention to the DOT. It's the only way to keep getting UA fined so they finally put an end to this stupidity.
With the last fine being $350K, it's not obvious that future DOT enforcement actions are much impetus to COdbaUA to change anything. That amount is probably equal to hiring 3 new employees (including overhead and fringe benefits) for one year into the refund department. DOT found about 8-9,000 late refunds during the audit, so it might well take even more than 3 new hires to keep up with the backlog. Therefore as long as they are not fined more frequently than once per year or so, COdbaUA comes out ahead by paying the fine, doing nothing, and remaining tardy with refunds.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hartmann
...But maybe they'll just take away the option to upgrade when there is no seat available for a paid seat.
Well, there is value to United in keeping the upgrade process the way it is. Anytime someone gives you money for nothing immediately in return is a good deal, especially so in higher interest rate times. UA would be better off in the long run (for itself) by fixing the refund system rather than doing away with taking cash for non-existent (at the time of booking) upgrades.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well, there is value to United in keeping the upgrade process the way it is. Anytime someone gives you money for nothing immediately in return is a good deal, especially so in higher interest rate times. UA would be better off in the long run (for itself) by fixing the refund system rather than doing away with taking cash for non-existent (at the time of booking) upgrades.
No argument there. I was just looking at the quoted comment and interpreting that as refining the upgrade offers to be more accurate.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
In addition, United underreported the number of mishandled baggage reports it received from passengers between January and October 2011 and the number of passengers it bumped, both voluntarily and involuntarily, for each quarter of 2011 from flights on which it sold more tickets than the number of available seats. The underreporting made United’s ranking in these categories seem better than it actually was. Also, during 2012 and 2013, United failed to file timely reports for a few incidents involving the death, injury or loss of animals on its flights.
Well, 9000 refunds, and IDB/VDB reporting, and likely vastly underpaying IDB passengers who don't know their rights, as well as offering measly $150-200 funny money VDBs and then not bothering to comp IDBs.

Then there's the PestPlus program, which has had many documented cases of a lack of any sort of care for the animals entrusted to them.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Well there is one bad boy repeatedly mentioned by name by the WSJ...

United...

and the comments are priceless:

"After a year of zero upgrades on United (I do miss Continental), ditched them and now exclusively fly Southwest."

"I give little consideration to my elite FF status with United. Loyalty is a worthless currency to them these days and the customer experience in first class is poor - so I no longer stress about an upgrade. Instead, I've been seeking out other carriers that simply appreciate their customers."

"I just flew from Newark to San Francisco and the first class cabin had 8 seats in it, no entertainment and no power. Flying hub to hub there is no chance of an upgrade and they make it harder by flying aircraft with limited seating and amenities.

We are all re-thinking our loyalty to an airline that doesn't reciprocate."

"Since the merger, not only has the quality of the service declined significantly on board the aircrafts, the treatment of frequent flyers who aren't 1K (100,000 annual air miles or more) is not customer friendly. I'm still flying a lot - just no longer on United."

I could go on, but instead I will say that people are FT are odd ball whiners that are best ignored as people buy on (1) price and (2) N/S, and an airline should simply focus on gouging the N/S folks.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
In some cases, I have found that purchasing F can merely be a few dollars extra versus economy. Case in point, I was looking this morning for a one way ticket on UA to go NYC-MSY for Jazz Fest w/e on 4/24 (using some extra JBLU points for the return). Non stop EWR-MSY in Y priced from $386 to $563 (depending on departure time on 4/24). Started looking at different options with a connection and and lo and behold was able to book a first class Z fare LGA-ORD-MSY for just $419 - an extra $33 over the lowest EWR-MSY non-stop which really didn't work anyway as it gets in to late.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I still don't see how UA is allowed to hold people's money for months at a time with no guarantee of service. Just seems something in contract law that ought to forbid that. Although I'm no lawyer.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I hope they eventually address the policy where you do NOT get refunded the co-pay: buying up to use an SWU.

A few years back I documented the buy up cost at time of booking. When my upgrades did not clear (me and my wife), I complained and asked for a refund of the buy-up. I was given the amount in UA credit.

I suggest others do the same and if not granted a refund, file a complaint with the DOT. See other threads for prior debates on the issue
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I still don't see how UA is allowed to hold people's money for months at a time with no guarantee of service. Just seems something in contract law that ought to forbid that. Although I'm no lawyer.
It's simple - you are literally "opting-in" for what is essentially a lottery process... No one is making someone pay - individuals decide to pay for the "opportunity" to upgrade - which is essentially a placeholder - and completely legal....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.