Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Phone internet access issues at JFK United Terminal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

I just noticed the ruling against Marriott re blocking Wi-Fi. It reminded me of how annoying it is to be in the United terminal at JFK where you can only access the Internet if you pay for Boingo. It seems that they have effectively blocked 3G access to the Internet. Is that legal, given the Marriott ruling that Internet access is essential?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2015 at 1:34 pm Reason: updated title to better reflect the issue
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:13 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ejong
I just noticed the ruling against Marriott re blocking Wi-Fi. It reminded me of how annoying it is to be in the United terminal at JFK where you can only access the Internet if you pay for Boingo. It seems that they have effectively blocked 3G access to the Internet. Is that legal, given the Marriott ruling that Internet access is essential?
What evidence do you have that "they" are blocking 3G access to the internet? My phone worked just fine a couple nights ago.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:26 am

If they were actively blocking licensed cellular signals (including 3G/4G/voice), that would be an even bigger deal, and I suspect arrests would be made. The FCC doesn't take jamming licensed frequencies lightly at all. At least with WiFi, one can argue that as an unlicensed spectrum there are more rights to do what you want with it even if that's not compatible with other users (but the FCC declared otherwise when it comes to explicit deactivation, rightly IMO).

Passive blocking (intentional or not) is generally not illegal however (although I suspect you can't erect a 50 foot high metal shield on your property line just to block your neighbor's reception)
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1) The Boingo service will be free in NYC airports very soon if not already done.

2) Lack of cell phone coverage is not the same as blocking the service.

3) The FCC ruling re Marriott is only about active interference with WiFi signals; it has nothing to do with cell phone service.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

@PtahCha - I am glad to hear your phone worked. Mine won't. Whenever I try to access the Internet from the gate area for the JFK-LAX flight, all I can get is a log-in page for Boingo.

But thank you @sbm12 for the news that Boingo will soon be free. That will solve the problem.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Whenever I try to access the Internet from the gate area for the JFK-LAX flight, all I can get is a log-in page for Boingo.
Confused by this. Is it just because the phone is defaulting to the WiFi connection rather than 3G (i.e., does turning off WiFi / forgetting the network solve the problem)?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:57 am
Original Poster

@FotFun, well, I am clearly not a technological expert as evidenced by the corrections provided by the other posters. But my experience has been that it doesn't seem so much of a "default" as that they are not permitting any Internet access other than through Boingo. I can access the Internet while going through security but not once I go upstairs to the gate area.

But maybe it's just my carrier. Or my phone. Or a political conspiracy to prevent me from playing WWF while I wait for my flight.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
I can access the Internet while going through security but not once I go upstairs to the gate area.
Not sure which phone you're using or how it works, but on mine (iPhone), the standard behavior is to 'remember' WiFi networks to which is has connected before, and to attempt to reconnect to them when possible.

So if your phone was once connected to a Boingo network, then once you get within range of a Boingo network the phone will try to use that instead of the 3G connection. The range bit might explain why it works @ security -- if you're out of range of that particular WiFi signal (though if it's airport wide then you can ignore all this).

Anyway, the easy test is to manually turn off the wifi and see if it works.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
@jong - would you mind sharing what mobile device/smartphone you had difficulties with and your default carrier/bands experiencing 3G issues? What about 4G/HSPA+ or 4G LTE, and, oh dear - Edge/2.5G (which is still very much functional @times, slow but usable ...)

Is this specific to T7@JFK, I haven't heard from anyone flying on CX lately having issues at all, which as you might know, share T7 with UA/BA. As others suggested, it might be an end-user configuration issue (i.e. 5 Ghz/auto, etc.) that can be easily addressed.

Perhaps you wanted to preinstall a few apps & run them during your next trip using T7 to see what's (mobile/WiFi) broadcasting - my favorite ones on Android KK & Lollipop - OpenSignal, SignalCheck, WiFi Analyzer & WiFi Finder (which has an offline Directory database) Regards ...

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jan 29, 2015 at 12:37 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I use Verizon 4G and never have a problem at JFK. I think it's lack of service rather than blocking.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

@PtahCha - I am glad to hear your phone worked. Mine won't. Whenever I try to access the Internet from the gate area for the JFK-LAX flight, all I can get is a log-in page for Boingo.
Go in to the phone's wifi settings and tell it to "forget" the Boingo network. Or just turn off the wifi on the phone. That will push you back to the data service of your phone provider and it will work fine.

This is more a user issue than anything else.

And I also find it quite annoying that the iPhone will continue to try to force data out a gated wifi connection rather than fail back to cell service like my BB did so well. But I'm slowly learning to cope with that problem.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
1) The Boingo service will be free in NYC airports very soon if not already done.
Yes, but only for the first 30 minutes. That's already been confirmed.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Amex Platinum members can get a free Boingo account.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I've never had an issue there with T-Mobile.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Whenever I have trouble getting a decent mobile signal at an airport, I think about this article

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/airport_wireless/

The average mobile phone is programmed to search out the five closest antenna signals. When you’re driving in your car this system lets you switch from antenna to antenna — usually without losing your connection. But in an airport, things can go haywire, especially as you’re switching from the powerful outdoor “macro” antennas that you’ve connected to on the tarmac to the smaller indoor devices that AT&T has tucked all over the airport.

For travelers, that means that the moments after you walk inside an airport are where you’re most likely to have a dropped call. Doublin hates it when that happens. “The in-building has to have dominance; it has to be stronger than that macro signal that’s coming in thought the windows” she says. “When that macro signal is stronger coming in through the windows, that’s when you’re going to drop a call, because your handset is sitting there in conflict.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.