Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Mobile Site Breach Let Fliers See Others Private Data -cached session state-fixed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Mobile Site Breach Let Fliers See Others Private Data -cached session state-fixed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat; Marriott Plat: Hilton Gold

http://boingboing.net/2015/01/28/uni...-let-flie.html
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Session state has been a mess in the systems for a long, long time. Oops.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, the mobile site in particular has had a lot of session-state bugs (see e.g. https://www.tinfoilsecurity.com/blog/132969897 ). There does not seem to be a lot of room for targeted attacks in the published problems (you couldn't go and find Tony Shalhoub's specifically and assign him seats next to you) but there is bunch of opportunity for strangers to cause havoc.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Interesting! I've noticed a similar (but smaller in scope) issue with UA's useless Travel Bank Gift Registry on .bomb.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Unfortunate UA won't say when this bug was introduced, just when it was fixed.

There's a couple other reservation-related exploits on the site, but they require some prior knowledge
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:27 pm

Funny on all the screen shots she has where it asks to upgrade, the flights all say "upgrade not offered,' yet there is a 'confirm upgrade' button at the bottom of each.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have seen this on the regular site 2 years ago. Suddenly it was showing me random reservations with all the details. UA keeps having this issues ... pathetic, if the story in the link is true that UA denies they have been contacted by customers, but nothing surprises me anymore these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.