Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnighting at LAX or SFO - what are options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Well, I have a NH flight leaving from SFO to NRT at 11AM. The thing is that I have a connecting flight LAX-SFO at 6AM.

Question - what time lounges at LAX and SFO open/close? If I SDC LAX-SFO flight to the last flight the day earlier, can I stay at lounge at SFO that night?

Are there any transit hotels? Any other options except getting a hotel next to SFO/LAX? I want to avoid this.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Au, IHG Au
Originally Posted by invisible
Well, I have a NH flight leaving from SFO to NRT at 11AM. The thing is that I have a connecting flight LAX-SFO at 6AM.

Question - what time lounges at LAX and SFO open/close? If I SDC LAX-SFO flight to the last flight the day earlier, can I stay at lounge at SFO that night?

Are there any transit hotels? Any other options except getting a hotel next to SFO/LAX? I want to avoid this.
The United International lounge is always open by the time I arrive from LAX on the 6am flight. No problem finding a seat at that hour, either.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Question - what time lounges at LAX and SFO open/close?
This can be found here: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx and http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef.../lounge-finder

If I SDC LAX-SFO flight to the last flight the day earlier, can I stay at lounge at SFO that night?
No, per the above links, the lounges close at the end of each day.

Are there any transit hotels?
No.

Any other options except getting a hotel next to SFO/LAX? I want to avoid this.
Sleeping in the terminal is the only other reasonable option.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
No, per the above links, the lounges close at the end of each day.
No.
Thanks. Seems I have no options.

P.S. Crap, why every time I am coming back to US, especially if it is EWR/LGA, it feels like arriving at third world country?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:14 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
The Centurion Lounge in SFO opens at 5 AM and closes at 11 PM. If you have a Platinum Amex, you get in for free with your travel ticket. If not, any Amex gets you in with $50. And it's worth it. Hot food, private toilets, lounge couches that are private and comfortable. It's the primary reason I love long layovers in SFO. The lounge itself is a destination.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold

You can't get to the International lounge in LAX because you're not on an international flight at that point. The domestic lounges aren't particularly great and you can only get into them if you're international connecting flight is Business or First.

There are several hotels near SFO. Hotel shuttles take you there in 5 minutes. I've stayed at the Marriott at SFO a couple of times.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
SDC to a connecting flight between LAX and SFO (i.e. LAX - ORD - SFO) and turn UA into a flying hotel.

Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
SDC to a connecting flight between LAX and SFO (i.e. LAX - ORD - SFO) and turn UA into a flying hotel.

Have you tried to do it at timeframe 11PM-7AM? Could you tell me how please?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Have you tried to do it at timeframe 11PM-7AM? Could you tell me how please?
Once you're inside your 24 hour window, go to the website and try to change the ticket to something with a wild connection as opposed to checking-in and then changing.

It just may work ...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Maybe I'm being unbelievably dense, but if you have an LAX-SFO at 6 AM, and an SFO-NRT at 11 AM, that's about a 4 hour mid-morning layover. What am I missing?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Maybe I'm being unbelievably dense, but if you have an LAX-SFO at 6 AM, and an SFO-NRT at 11 AM, that's about a 4 hour mid-morning layover. What am I missing?
I agree. Not sure what the problem is. OP should just get an airport hotel at LAX. The Radisson is not a bad deal at $80, free shuttle. Get some real sleep.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Personally, I think sleeping in the terminal would be more comfortable.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Call NH and ask to be changed to NH005 (LAX-NRT). With status and the right agent it could be a win-win. I know it is a different city. The odds are not good, but with status it is possible (I have done it many times).

NH005
Flights operated by ANA Group (ANA[NH]/Air Japan[NQ]/ANA WINGS[EH])
Los Angeles Tokyo(Narita)
11:30 16:25
+1 11:55
Economy
Seat Map
77W Seats available
From OP: If I SDC LAX-SFO flight to the last flight the day earlier, can I stay at lounge at SFO that night?
No. The UC closes. Also, can you SDC the day before?

Perhaps you could call ANA with your "story" why it is "imminent" you fly from LAX to NRT and not take UA LAX-SFO than ANA SFO-NRT.

You never know. Without status, I doubt it.

Perhaps your plans changed, but who is your travel agent?

Call ANA - they have always treated me fair.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
There are about 45 hotels immediately adjacent to SFO that run shuttles for $0 if you are so inclined... trying to sleep in the airport would be torture.

I am guess op just doesn't want to be at LAX at 4AM... cant say I blame him there.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Once you're inside your 24 hour window, go to the website and try to change the ticket to something with a wild connection as opposed to checking-in and then changing.

It just may work ...
I know how SDC works. I asked - how many flights from PDX are there flying in the middle of night?

OK, seems I need to provide additional information.

I and my wife are arriving at LAX, my wife flies from LAX on Asiana on next day. Flight departs on 12:30AM. As I said, my flight is several hours later at 6AM from LAX to SFO. So after dropping off my wife, I have choice either stay at LAX till the flight to SFO or do SDC and fly to SFO with the last flight departing around 11PM. Considering that I will have two suitcases each 30kg, I really want to avoid the option dragging them around.

I really do not want to book hotel either at SFO or LAX, so was looking for alternatives.

Changing NH flight to something else is not an option - first, change fees, secondly I selected LAX-SFO-NRT route because it was $300 cheaper than LAX-NRT. If I change, it is change fees, plus fare difference. Makes no sense.

But based what was said above, seems spending night at SFO or LAX are only options.

Last edited by invisible; Jan 27, 2015 at 7:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.