Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HELP Delayed UA 1138 PDX-DEN, miscon DEN-NRT, why? They overfueled the plane lol

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP Delayed UA 1138 PDX-DEN, miscon DEN-NRT, why? They overfueled the plane lol

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

1/18/2015

So i am on a 3 leg journey to PDX-DEN-NRT-GUM. As we were just about at the gate ready to board, commotion, no one knows why and what, except that it is delayed.

Well found out that they over fueled the plane, this was a plane that came in the night before, they had all night to get it right lol i guess low fuel prices got them pump happy, so busy siphoning gas now.

Anyhow, now to my question and help on options.

GPU waitlisted on the DEN-NRT, PDX-DEN and NRT-GUM is cleared. If everything goes well I land in DEN at 11:58, make a dash for the gate (no checked luggage) and still make the DEN-NRT, hopefully if luck has it my GPU would have cleared and the day is saved.

NOW, IF NOT? Option 1: overnight DEN and do it again the following day, DEN-NRT-GUM, can i request that they confirm me in J due to the inconvenience?
Option 2: Try and get other airlines, routes, *A....etc, will they still be courteous enough to grant my request for a J accommodation due to all the chaos, missing meetings and lost business day.

Appreciate all the help, insight i can get, haven't had this happen in a really long time.

Last edited by WrLdTrvLnIndian; Jan 18, 2015 at 9:01 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
There are some good Y seats on the 6:10 PM SFO-HND flight today (UA875). It's J0, but F4 so some J seats may free up. I might just get my butt to SFO if I were to miss the connections (the gates are close if you do in fact arrive at B25 as scheduled, so you might make it). Oh, and 33K is available on that flight, for what it's worth.

UA277 gets you to SFO from DEN at 4:42 PM.

You wouldn't miss your Tuesday meetings...

ETA: Oops, you're going to GUM. Never mind the HND suggestion.

Last edited by Bonehead; Jan 18, 2015 at 9:40 am
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
1/18/2015

So i am on a 3 leg journey to PDX-DEN-NRT-GUM. As we were just about at the gate ready to board, commotion, no one knows why and what, except that it is delayed.

Well found out that they over fueled the plane, this was a plane that came in the night before, they had all night to get it right lol i guess low fuel prices got them pump happy, so busy siphoning gas now.

Anyhow, now to my question and help on options.

GPU waitlisted on the DEN-NRT, PDX-DEN and NRT-GUM is cleared. If everything goes well I land in DEN at 11:58, make a dash for the gate (no checked luggage) and still make the DEN-NRT, hopefully if luck has it my GPU would have cleared and the day is saved.

NOW, IF NOT? Option 1: overnight DEN and do it again the following day, DEN-NRT-GUM, can i request that they confirm me in J due to the inconvenience?
Option 2: Try and get other airlines, routes, *A....etc, will they still be courteous enough to grant my request for a J accommodation due to all the chaos, missing meetings and lost business day.

Appreciate all the help, insight i can get, haven't had this happen in a really long time.
a few different scenarios, the plane may have come in with more fuel than what was needed for the PDX-DEN flight. Fuelers will often fill to a minimum based on a/c type prior to getting the fuel load from the airline.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
1) They'll confirm you in R if there's R space.

2) They're not going to put you in J on a partner for missing a UA segment in Y.

Reroute X/HNL to get to GUM for your meeting.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
They're not going to put you in J on a partner for missing a UA segment in Y.
They do it sometimes. It's not common, but they do it.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your flight has been further delayed, so forget about making the connection in DEN. Can't see an easy way to get to GUM on time at this point...will keep looking. I assume that at this point you're working with Reservations...
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
As noted, Denver is out. It depends what your priorities are at this point. If it's getting to Guam, I'd get to SFO and take the 1:25pm flight via Hong Kong.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
if getting there the quickest is the priority, have them booked you via SEA to NRT and you can still make the 5:20pm flight from NRT, this is a UA controllable delay and they need to accom you as such
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by cosflyer
if getting there the quickest is the priority, have them booked you via SEA to NRT and you can still make the 5:20pm flight from NRT, this is a UA controllable delay and they need to accom you as such
agree, have them put you on DL or AS to SEA, then connect (on DL or ANA) to NRT - BOTH LEAVE AT NOON. Absent your GPU clearing (yeh right) it will be a much better experience.

If you are *G. UA must reroute you on the ANA flight per *A rules, and that flight has seats for sale.

good luck.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
agree, have them put you on DL or AS to SEA, then connect (on DL or ANA) to NRT. Absent your GPU clearing (yeh right) it will be a much better experience.
I thought that ANA in Y was tantamount to torture...
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:04 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I'd say 9 times out of 10 it wasn't overfueled, rather they changed routings on the plane. It was likely fueled for a longer haul, then they substituted 1 aircraft for a different routing resulting in too much for the new routing.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by spin88
agree, have them put you on DL or AS to SEA, then connect (on DL or ANA) to NRT - BOTH LEAVE AT NOON. Absent your GPU clearing (yeh right) it will be a much better experience.

If you are *G. UA must reroute you on the ANA flight per *A rules, and that flight has seats for sale.

good luck.
^ definitely the quickest. If you do this, you can also get ORC on UA which will net you more miles.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I thought that ANA in Y was tantamount to torture...
Its unfortunately airplane specific. Two versions on the 787 (you have to check the seat maps) which is what flies SEA-NRT. One has 18.6" seats in Y, with 33-34" of leg room. Better than the 17" seat, even in E+ on the CO 7-narrow-7, and the services is about 10 notches better. But if you get the version with 17" seats and 31" pitch, ouch, unless you get an exit row (in which case its just like E+ on United.

You can tell as the "ouch" version has a premium economy section on it.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Why not just overnight at DEN (you should get a hotel voucher, as it's apparently UA's fault) and try again tomorrow?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:44 am
Original Poster

UPDATE:

I let the PDX-DEN GO. I got on the PDX-NRT DL flight which would still get in on time to make my connection NRT-GUM.

However since they put me on DL with a Y booking class, i got my wife PLAT MED to use 25K of her DL miles and put me on a upgrade waitlist.

Originally Posted by fastair
I'd say 9 times out of 10 it wasn't overfueled, rather they changed routings on the plane. It was likely fueled for a longer haul, then they substituted 1 aircraft for a different routing resulting in too much for the new routing.
i think you are right, i have a feeling it was fueled for PDX-ORD.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 18, 2015 at 12:06 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.