Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Chase MP Plus Visa Companion Fare Certificate" - updated with 2019 T&C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
prior companion cert - based on zone fares discussed in Consolidated "MP Plus Visa Zone Fare Certificate" Thread [Merged]

2019 zone fares:
2019 Letter Language:
2019 Terms & Conditions:
Appears June 2016 a return to the zone fare approach

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Chase MP Plus Visa Companion Fare Certificate" - updated with 2019 T&C

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:40 pm
nnn
Original Poster

Programs: All-Around Kettle

Just got my new cert, and the entire scheme has changed. It is no longer based on zone pricing. It is now a true 2-for-1, but good only for Economy booked in U or higher, even with a 14-day advance purchase!

I was one of the few on this thread who seemed to get decent use from these certs over the years, but now it seems virtually guaranteed to be useless.

(I will have to check about refundability, as that could be the only saving grace.)

ETA: As discussed later in this thread and in the wiki above, the certificates went back to the "zone" system after this thread was started. The U-fare version is no longer being distributed.

Last edited by nnn; Jan 9, 2019 at 10:16 am Reason: Change back to Zone system
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by nnn
Just got my new cert, and the entire scheme has changed. It is no longer based on zone pricing. It is now a true 2-for-1, but good only for Economy booked in U or higher, even with a 14-day advance purchase!

I was one of the few on this thread who seemed to get decent use from these certs over the years, but now it seems virtually guaranteed to be useless.

(I will have to check about refundability, as that could be the only saving grace.)
Got mine too, the terms are not acceptable. This, along with the marginal utility of PWMs now that PQDs are the real restriction, means I'll be cancelling my card.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Holy crap, that is awful. To put this in actual dollars, a booking from DCA to SFO for Sept. 1 is $448 on the lowest available fare (S), $956 with a U fare. Which is, you know, more than twice the cheapest fare. What a great deal!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
United MP Credit Card Companion Certificate

Hi, all,

I just received the companion certificate that I receive annually with my Mileage Plus Visa Credit card. Looking through the details, it looks like these certificates now only apply to Y, B, M, E or U fares. The cheaper fare classes (W, S, T -- some or all of which were able to be used on the old certificates) can no longer be used for these certificates. I ran some sample fares next Memorial Day 2015, and the difference in the applicable old versus new fares is staggering (hundreds of dollars). Seems like another downgrade of benefits from United.

I feel like cancelling or at least asking for a fee waiver on my credit card - this is another devaluation of the benefits.

Thoughts from others?

John H
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
yep -- UA has killed the companion cert beneift -- lost of negative comments in recent posts in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Thanks for that link. I had done a search but not found it. And the fares I searched next May are ridiculous -- over $1000 to Florida or Honolulu from SF economy!

John H
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:51 pm

I got my certificate today and noticed the same change in fare classes able to be booked. When I looked at hypothetical bookings next May, the difference was hundreds (like many hundreds) of dollars! Will likely call and cancel or ask for a fee waiver.

Anyone had luck with getting fee waived when threatening to cancel?

John H
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Just got the latest Companion Travel Certificate in the mail. Lo and behold, the t&c are totally different.

Over the past 15 years or so, every year I got the following:

1. Companion cert good for any fare over $299.
2. $25 certificate.
3. 1000 mile upgrade (essentially useless but there it was).

Today's mail had only the companion cert and now it's only good for Y,B,M,E or U fares.

I looked at a sample itin from HNL-LAS in December. Under the old system, I could get a T fare for $702. Now the tkt is $1578.

So if I don't use the companion cert, I get two tkts for $1404 (not to mention RDMs, etc.) for my companion. With this cert, I get two tkts for $1578 + whatever taxes for the second tkt.

Another customer friendly move by UA?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Just opened the new cert and saw the revised conditions. For the last few years I've used these for SFO-MSP, where the lowest fare is typically ~$400, and I've gotten two tickets for ~$500. The U fare on this route today is $896. Fail.

Are there any routes where the lowest fare 14 days out with a Saturday night say is more than half of a U fare?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Has anyone followed up with chase?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
I'm writing the same note to 1kvoice and to Chase, we'll see how they respond. Some data on my favorite routes (for travel this September):

SFO-SAN:
Zone fare $258
Lowest fare $160
U fare $548

SFO-ORD:
Zone fare $487
Lowest fare $298
U fare $1050

SFO-MSP:
Zone fare $487
Lowest fare $436
U fare $896

SFO-JFK:
Zone fare $530
Lowest fare $398
U fare $996
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
They don't want to offer a companion certificate, but probably have to offer something because of obligations to Chase? So we end up with this - very poor form.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Has anyone followed up with chase?
I called Chase today. They referred me to MileagePlus. MP rep said there was no change..."hasn't been a change in years" is what she said.

I'm suspicious because the MP rep didn't ask which MP Visa card I have (Platinum) and, when I gave her my MP#, she gave me answer far too quickly to have even looked it up.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Here's what the Chase MP "Rules and Regulations" say:

United Airlines Companion Ticket Certificate: Each year after your Anniversary you will receive a United Airlines Companion Ticket Certificate that can be redeemed for travel in the 48 contiguous United States. (“Anniversary” is the date that is twelve months after your Enrollment Date, and the same date each twelve months thereafter.) Certain blackout and other restrictions may apply; see the Companion Ticket Certificate for details.

So, it would appear that UA may place whatever restrictions on the Companion Cert that it wishes.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
I'm writing the same note to 1kvoice and to Chase, we'll see how they respond. Some data on my favorite routes (for travel this September):
Please let me know if you get a response. I'd like to express my concern but I suspect it'll be an exercise in futility.

At best, I'm at least hoping they will pro-rate my annual fee when I cancel the card.

[/QUOTE]So, it would appear that UA may place whatever restrictions on the Companion Cert that it wishes.[/QUOTE]

As we have seen, it's true for any program/promotion UA has.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.