Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:49 am

Today 4/23...UA98 LAX MEL was switched from a 789 to a 788

There will be a loss of 12 BF seats. What do they do with the pax already booked and upgraded ? I am hoping that they will do the same for tomorrow, so I can hope for the downgrade to cancel my whole itinerary.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Hilton, Starwood
Originally Posted by chuck1
How do DL and QF divert their flights (from LAX and DFW) and refuel promptly and then continue on to SYD?

Is it because they stop short in BNE rather than MEL?

UA seems to go to MEL. Is it because their operation there? If so, is the extra time causing them to time out in a way QF/DL do not or is it typical UA inefficiency or tighter union rules?
My SYD flight was diverted to BNE. I asked why didn't they divert to MEL since United has staff in MEL.

Because there is no staff in BNE, it was a mess. First we had the plane sprayed with insecticides and had to wait an hour on the smelly plane for an hour before would could get clearance to deboard. The delay may have been since there was no gate for United. The United staff left immediately after the last passenger got off. Because United does not have staff in BNE there was thus no guidance on where to go or what next steps were. Passengers was gathering in the terminal and asking each other if they were in the correct spot. It took another 1/2 hour before an announcement was made that a further announcement would be made about when our flight would depart and that food vouchers would be issued later.

Passengers with their final destination of BNE were required to go to SYD to pick up their luggage and find another connecting flight back since there were no United folks to get the luggage off the plane and no way for United to get the luggage back to BNE since United doesn't fly to BNE.

There was no United staff to authorize food vouchers beyond the 20 Australian dollars received for an 11 hour delay. We had to wait in line for 45 minutes for the vouchers since the airport had one person filing out the name of each passenger by hand on the voucher and checking passports.

There was no staff to service the plane which meant that the plane was not cleaned and no food or drink was provided (except for 1/2 glass of water in Business First) on the eventual flight to SYD. There was no lounge access due to overcrowding.

However, Business First passengers were provided a $200 voucher which more than made up for the inconvenience. LOL
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Sal5048
My SYD flight was diverted to BNE. I asked why didn't they divert to MEL since United has staff in MEL.

Because there is no staff in BNE, it was a mess. First we had the plane sprayed with insecticides and had to wait an hour on the smelly plane for an hour before would could get clearance to deboard. The delay may have been since there was no gate for United. The United staff left immediately after the last passenger got off. Because United does not have staff in BNE there was thus no guidance on where to go or what next steps were. Passengers was gathering in the terminal and asking each other if they were in the correct spot. It took another 1/2 hour before an announcement was made that a further announcement would be made about when our flight would depart and that food vouchers would be issued later.

Passengers with their final destination of BNE were required to go to SYD to pick up their luggage and find another connecting flight back since there were no United folks to get the luggage off the plane and no way for United to get the luggage back to BNE since United doesn't fly to BNE.

There was no United staff to authorize food vouchers beyond the 20 Australian dollars received for an 11 hour delay. We had to wait in line for 45 minutes for the vouchers since the airport had one person filing out the name of each passenger by hand on the voucher and checking passports.

There was no staff to service the plane which meant that the plane was not cleaned and no food or drink was provided (except for 1/2 glass of water in Business First) on the eventual flight to SYD. There was no lounge access due to overcrowding.

However, Business First passengers were provided a $200 voucher which more than made up for the inconvenience. LOL
It seems nothing has changed over the years with regard to UA diversions to BNE. One would think they would have a plan in place at this point.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
It seems nothing has changed over the years with regard to UA diversions to BNE. One would think they would have a plan in place at this point.
It's pretty clear that UA's plan is not to have a plan for BNE diversions.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:19 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
This vindicates my decision to fly AC YVR-SYD instead of UA (I don't care about the extra distance). Their 77L can at least stay in the air longer and seems a far more reliable way to go. Now, I expect I'll be proved very wrong in the next couple of months and wish I never said this!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Originally Posted by Sal5048
Really depends on the season, UA's 772ER's won't be able to make it to MEL during certain periods of the year with a full load. I do agree that it would be much easier if the flights were diverted to MEL as the UA staff there would better facilitate staff and and they have all their resources.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see UA divert to CNS instead - a current UA destination
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by soorox

Wouldn't it be interesting to see UA divert to CNS instead - a current UA destination
Honestly not a bad idea if the runway can handle the equipment! They have staff and immigration facilities, unlike that fiasco in Canberra a few months ago...
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:22 pm

Am I nuts or is this possible?

Does anyone think this is possible?
On the day I'm due to take UA840 it arrives at 6:35am I assume in TBIT.

-I will have checked bags and have Global Entry though my 11 year old doesn't. I figure we could use the entry kiosks though and the bags wouldn't come much quicker.

-We are connecting on a separate ticket to AA at 7:45am on a separate ticket. This short connection is due to a schedule change and UA not having award availability on the domestic segment.

-Will UA tag the bag at SYD to include the separate AA segment LAX-DCA? That would be nice so I could drop it at the recheck at TBIT after customs and not have to worry about the AA bag cutoff.

-I have PreCheck and would check in prior to departure from SYD the AA LAX-DCA flight. My 11 year old could use the PreCheck line with me.

Sometimes I've noticed UA arrives from SYD early though you can't count on it. Is there any chance this is even remotely possible if the full 1 hour 10 minutes is there? I guess it all depends too if UA will tag the bag to include the AA segment and recheck at TBIT is open at 6:35am.

I thought maybe something like this.
6:35am at gate / off aircraft
6:50am through immigration
7:00am get bags
7:10am recheck
7:15am arrive from TBIT to T4 walk
7:20am clear T4 precheck and then run to gate
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Probably better for the interlining thread, but from what I've been informed by others here on FT, UA will not interline bags between non-partners (even if you call the Premier hotline and they say they do) if they're on a separate ticket.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
6:35am at gate / off aircraft
6:50am through immigration
7:00am get bags
7:10am recheck
7:15am arrive from TBIT to T4 walk
7:20am clear T4 precheck and then run to gate
This scenario has trouble written all over it. UA has trouble delivering rechecked bags between its own flights from TBIT to T7/8 in <60 minutes. And as was stated interlining bags on separate tickets is not happening any more.

Hopefully American has the equivalent of a flat tire rule that you can invoke to rebook your flight to DCA - perhaps after some time in a LAX hotel day room to freshen up. That's what I'd be aiming for.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
According to the AA website, the checkin cutoff at LAX is 45 min before departure. So that timeline isn't going to work.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...rivalTimes.jsp
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
-Will UA tag the bag at SYD to include the separate AA segment LAX-DCA?
No the new policy is no interlining on separate tickets except to a *A carrier.

I wouldn't attempt this. Especially with checked bags. I'd call this close to a guaranteed fail.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by transportprof
This scenario has trouble written all over it.
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
... that timeline isn't going to work.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...rivalTimes.jsp
Originally Posted by Kacee
I wouldn't attempt this. Especially with checked bags. I'd call this close to a guaranteed fail.
+3. Time to get on the horn with AA.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:42 pm

Thanks - though not what I wanted to hear!
Old May 3, 2015, 11:45 pm

Sun May 03 UA863 SFO-SYD cancelled
Sun May 03 UA 839 LAX-SYD delayed 1hr 15 min (presumably for pax in SFO to fly SFO-LAX to join 839)
Tue May 05 UA870 SYD-SFO cancelled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.