Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by channa
SMF-ORD was over. Got $300 in Muņoz Moņey to change flights. Since practically everyone was connecting, and there were no other nonstops to ORD, rebooking options were highly variable based on final destination.

I was probably one of the easiest volunteers to handle. Final was BWI, and rebooked on the nonstop SMF-IAD arriving IAD 30 minutes before original BWI arrival.
did you also negotiate for ground transit in DC, or was that a non-issue?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
did you also negotiate for ground transit in DC, or was that a non-issue?
It was a non-issue. Where I needed to go was closer to IAD anyway.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA-Gold 1MM
Want VDB after being confirmed in F

Is there a simple suggestion I could make to GA to go VDB if flight is oversold in coach and I have a CPU which put me in F? I'm never prompted to get on VDB when I check in b/c the F cabin is not oversold but Y is.

Most GA do not know how to handle this request.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:26 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Art Thomas
Is there a simple suggestion I could make to GA to go VDB if flight is oversold in coach and I have a CPU which put me in F? I'm never prompted to get on VDB when I check in b/c the F cabin is not oversold but Y is.

Most GA do not know how to handle this request.
Yes, this happens to me often. SHARES can't handle this request. It can be done, but it takes a good agent and some time to do it.

Many don't even want to bother.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
SFO-EWR, saw the flight was 0s on all classes. Got to the airport early and had the baggage agent put my name on the list. At the gate and was oversold by one, so they held me until the end, but there were two no-shows. Comp offered was $300 voucher.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Often1
You are not entitled to anything for which you do not negotiate. Thus, if you are rerouted UA to AA, you won't earn on UA. You do earn on AA.
they will credit you ORC. wait at least 5 days and call in with the record locater and they will give it to you. happened to me last week when i was VDB'd over to AA. got the UA miles.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
UA1820 DEN-GRR was looking for 10+ tonight. $500 comp for a hotel and flight 24 hours later. Downsized AC earlier in the day after the flight had already zeroed out in inventory.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
UA1820 DEN-GRR was looking for 10+ tonight. $500 comp for a hotel and flight 24 hours later. Downsized AC earlier in the day after the flight had already zeroed out in inventory.
UA shows the aircraft was a 739?
It appears I fly grr-den the wrong way on Fridays and Sunday's.

I'd like to think UA could do better than 24 hours later too.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by BThumme

I agree that they could do better than 24 hours. I also say they should do better than $500. I had a short flight from LAX to Colorado Springs on a downsized A/C. I got $1200 and a flight 8 hours later.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Taking VDBs ex-DEN might actually not be so bad in a month when the Westin opens at the airport and they hopefully let that be the primary hotel for VDBs (if/when available.) I stopped trying for VDBs in DEN that involved overnights because having to trek all the way to Stapleton or other areas just wasn't worth it.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by BThumme

Yes... the plane went from a 739 V2 to a 739 V1 (12 less seats in Y).

How many of the old 739 birds are still flying (I believe their tail #'s are 34XX)? The new 739s are quite nice (38XX tail #'s I believe).
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes... the plane went from a 739 V2 to a 739 V1 (12 less seats in Y).

How many of the old 739 birds are still flying (I believe their tail #'s are 34XX)? The new 739s are quite nice (38XX tail #'s I believe).
see The United Airlines Fleet Website for these type of info
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
You are not entitled to anything for which you do not negotiate. Thus, if you are rerouted UA to AA, you won't earn on UA. You do earn on AA.

But, you can write in and ask for Original Routing Credit (ORC). While the UA policy appears to be that you aren't entitled to ORC because it is a voluntary change and you've already been compensated, it seems that they generally grant it. Thus, likely you earn both AA & UA.
I was on DFW-->IAD-->CLE that was oversold by two and I ended up with a $300 voucher, and they put me on DFW-->CLE direct on American Airlines that arrived only 15 minutes after when IAD-->CLE was supposed to. Unfortunately, I did NOT get any AA miles, but after I sent in a request for ORC, it was granted and I got FULL miles from UA... not just the miles based on the price of the ticket. I was quite pleased. Prices had been so reasonable since then that the voucher was enough to purchase TWO round trips from CLE to DFW, so definitely a win for me.

On a side note, the flight from IAD to CLE (the second leg of my original booking) ended up being cancelled due to crew availability, so I dodged a bullet on that one. I did have to wait for my bag to be delivered the next day though... the American Airlines baggage services guy was NOT pleased. But I treated him with kindness and civility and left him in a good mood.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:01 pm

UA6231 ORD - STL is over by 5. Offer is for $400 to fly 2 hours later on AA... Biting now
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
UA6231 ORD - STL is over by 5. Offer is for $400 to fly 2 hours later on AA... Biting now
I was flying BOS-LAX-SAN last weekend, confirmed in (R). I re-checked in at the kiosk every half hour or so in LAX as it showed by LAX-SAN flight completely full, and I know the Kiosk seems to always ask for volunteers regardless of how oversold they are/might be.

Didn't say anything.

At the gate waiting to board, a guy starts talking to the GA and she goes "I've been waiting for you! We're offering $300 and getting in two hours later on the nonstop Delta flight" I saw this guy had the printout of the volunteer slip.

I asked afterwards if they would need any extra volunteers and was told no. Didn't end up needing any volunteers as usual, but I'm guessing since I was confirmed in first I didn't get the prompt at the kiosk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.