Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Suspended MP Accounts / Username Access Disabled / 3rd Party Security Breach-Dec 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suspended MP Accounts / Username Access Disabled / 3rd Party Security Breach-Dec 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
No email for me either and I am unable to log in using any combination of my mp#/email/username and password/pin nor can I log in for goalie-dad, goalie-mom and goalie-sis using their creds (mp#/email/username and pin/password)
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:40 pm

There's an entire thread dedicated to this topic
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by malgudi
There's an entire thread dedicated to this topic
No sure they are the same -- the UA notice refers to approximately 24 Dec and the other thread was much earlier in the month. I suggest we keep these threads separate until we know one way or the other.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:22 am

Better check your PayPal account

Originally Posted by villox
Here's the full email. I actually took the email to mean they had detected that someone had specifically accessed my account. I also thought I was going to have to change the password via the agent, but all the agent did was re-activate my account so I could quickly login and change everything myself.
What those email notifications probably mean is that you are on a list somewhere that has been taken from another website (3rd party).

Do you use the same user ID (i.e. email address) and password for multiple accounts?

I would strongly suggest you check and change any other accounts where you have used that same login. Many companies won't be sophisticated enough to identify this type of threat. And some may not be as concerned as they should be since it isn't really their system being compromised.

http://mashable.com/2014/09/10/5-mil...asswords-leak/
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/ano...-credit-cards/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamtann...e-been-hacked/

Last edited by cosiz; Dec 28, 2014 at 6:04 am
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Phanto
Here's the kicker..

I have a VERY secure username AND password set on my account, BUT I can't use them! The only thing that works and allows me to login is my MP account # and my super lame 4 digit PIN! I should be able to say allow access via one or the other, but not BOTH or in my case simply the MP/PIN combo since my account/pass don't work anyway. Why am I even able to set them if I can't use them AND you still allow the other to login anyway??

It seems that a number of airlines do this, why is their security SOOOOO crappy??

Ya know, I'm in a mood so I'm going to write them a nice little note!

-Phanto
I have the same situation as you. Can login using MP # and pin, but cannot use username and password (changed both). Is this an ongoing tech issue or a security concern? I never received any email saying my account was compromised so I'm not sure how to proceed.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Is anyone else not able to login using their username and password? I can only login using my MP # and PIN.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just got red text stating:

(username and e-mail address sign-on are currently unavailable)

Still able to sign in with MP number and PIN.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by iquitos
I didn't get the email but I tried to log on and was directed to provide MP number and four digit pin rather than email....

MileagePlus Number (username and e-mail address sign-on are currently unavailable)
No email for me, just same error message as above when I tried to login using my username this morning. Switched to MP# and logged in no problem.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:40 pm

I hope this incident serves as a wake-up call for United and that they finally allow some way to disable the 4-digit PIN code entirely. It's absurd in this day and age that such a shoddy security mechanism is in place and enforced.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by greenythebeast
I have the same situation as you. Can login using MP # and pin, but cannot use username and password (changed both). Is this an ongoing tech issue or a security concern? I never received any email saying my account was compromised so I'm not sure how to proceed.
I'd just contact them and say what's going on and how lame their security is. Maybe if enough people complain they'll actually get their act together..

I highly doubt it though, but it's worth a shot..
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by rmannion
I hope this incident serves as a wake-up call for United and that they finally allow some way to disable the 4-digit PIN code entirely. It's absurd in this day and age that such a shoddy security mechanism is in place and enforced.
Agree completely ^
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Since the timing pretty closely corresponds to iDine changing their login system to directly use your MP information, I'd lay odds that's where the breach happened.

It looks like they've disabled access using usernames and email addresses. You have to log in using your MP number.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since the timing pretty closely corresponds to iDine changing their login system to directly use your MP information, I'd lay odds that's where the breach happened.
Except that they use an oAuth-esque system which prevents iDine from ever seeing your real credentials. UA handles the authentication and passes a token to iDine.

Or are you suggesting the issue happened on the old iDine platform and this triggered the change?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Can login using MP # and pin, but cannot use username and password (changed both).
Perhaps the message on the login page in red bold should have been a dead giveaway?

The only thing that works and allows me to login is my MP account # and my super lame 4 digit PIN!
No, you can use your MP number and password. You just can't use your username or email address.

Originally Posted by united.com
(username and e-mail address sign-on are currently unavailable)
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the kicker..

I have a VERY secure username AND password set on my account, BUT I can't use them! The only thing that works and allows me to login is my MP account # and my super lame 4 digit PIN! I should be able to say allow access via one or the other, but not BOTH or in my case simply the MP/PIN combo since my account/pass don't work anyway. Why am I even able to set them if I can't use them AND you still allow the other to login anyway??

It seems that a number of airlines do this, why is their security SOOOOO crappy??

Ya know, I'm in a mood so I'm going to write them a nice little note!

-Phanto
See this thread for more info about the login requiring MP# and PIN.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2014-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.