Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD - NRT, Any reason to choose ANA over UA in Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Never flown ANA.
Main concerns are seat comfort and noise level for sleep (lots of flight announcements, etc). I don't care about quality of food or IFE.
I imagine that UA E+ may the deciding factor, but is there something positive about ANA that I am missing?
Ticket will be after 4/1 on 016 stock so I think either way mileage earning/PQM with UA will be the same, right?
Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by shdflyer
Never flown ANA.
Main concerns are seat comfort and noise level for sleep (lots of flight announcements, etc). I don't care about quality of food or IFE.
I imagine that UA E+ may the deciding factor, but is there something positive about ANA that I am missing?
Ticket will be after 4/1 on 016 stock so I think either way mileage earning/PQM with UA will be the same, right?
Thanks!
Yes, E+ overrides ANA's pluses. I didn't find ANA's coach food much better than UA's.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:44 pm

ANA's 777 have 34 pitch in Y, United's has 34 in E+ so the seat will be the same but ANA will have better service then United.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
For mileage, if booked on 016 ticket, yes, accrual will be the same. If an ANA flight is booked on ANA stock, it will be based on percentage of miles/fare class. Believe all TPAC classes earn 100% on ANA right now, however, UA will likely announce partner earning changes starting March 1. Delta recently announced their changes, and for those flying on partners, the deal for low class flyers is not good (no surprise there).

As for UA vs. ANA, I flew ANA in economy ORD-NRT a couple of years ago on their newer configured 77W, and wouldn't do it again. They have cradle seats in economy that slide forward to "recline" instead of the back reclining. Despite the fact their seats are marketed to be at 34" pitch throughout economy, at least on the 77W I was in, I felt cramped, especially when "reclined". And I would say I'm very average sized.

I know you mentioned you don't care about food or IFE, but I was not much a fan of the food (though I did like the special juice they have onboard...I forget exactly what it is), and IFE is much more targeted to Japanese/Asian clientele then a US one. And while others have said the service is superior, I didn't see it as great. There was nothing to complain about, but nothing special either.

On the return flight, I was on UA in a PMUA 777, and was much more comfortable.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ROCAT
ANA's 777 have 34 pitch in Y, United's has 34 in E+ so the seat will be the same but ANA will have better service then United.
Definitely depends on version of 777 ANA uses. Not all of ANA's have the E+. I was on one w/o it and I was wishing UA flew the route.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: 1K
My vote is for UA E+. PQM/PQD will be the same either way, as long as the ticket is issued by United (016 stock).
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Definitely depends on version of 777 ANA uses. Not all of ANA's have the E+. I was on one w/o it and I was wishing UA flew the route.
ANA's stranded econ is 34 and the premium econ is 38 which all of the ERs now have. United's standard Econ is 31 and E+ is 34, so United's E+ is equal to ANA's E. JAl beats all in econ with its newest config with 34 stranded with 42 in PE and all seats being an inch wider.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
ANA's stranded econ is 34 and the premium econ is 38 which all of the ERs now have. United's standard Econ is 31 and E+ is 34, so United's E+ is equal to ANA's E.
As I implied above, I disagree that they are equal. Maybe the technical seat pitch is equal, but I definitely found ANAs cradle Y seats more cramped and uncomfortable than E+ on a UA 777.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
As I implied above, I disagree that they are equal. Maybe the technical seat pitch is equal, but I definitely found ANAs cradle Y seats more cramped and uncomfortable than E+ on a UA 777.
I would go the opposite on the same reason, on JAL and ANA if you recline your seat you loose room on UAL, DAL and AAL if you recline your seat I loose space. With that in mind I will take option 1 any day of the week.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would go the opposite on the same reason, on JAL and ANA if you recline your seat you loose room on UAL, DAL and AAL if you recline your seat I loose space. With that in mind I will take option 1 any day of the week.
I don't think that is correct. On the slider seats, the top of the seat doesn't translate as much (if any) rear-ward. I think if you measure from top of back of seat to the bottom of the seat in from of you, you gain space on UA and you gain very little (if any) on the slider seats. Your back reclines just as on UA, but you lose space at the knees.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I don't think that is correct. On the slider seats, the top of the seat doesn't translate as much (if any) rear-ward. I think if you measure from top of back of seat to the bottom of the seat in from of you, you gain space on UA and you gain very little (if any) on the slider seats. Your back reclines just as on UA, but you lose space at the knees.
That is correct and when you recline a slider seat the person behind you does not notice as much and loses less space which is what I care about. On ANA I do not have to get a bulkhead and the person who wants to recline still can. So on ANA my area stays the same unless I choose it to be less while on UAL someone else makes that choice for me.

Last edited by ROCAT; Dec 19, 2014 at 6:31 pm
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:29 pm

When given a choice between a US flagged carrier and an Asian carrier (full service), always choose the latter. Always.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:49 pm

ANA hands down if you can get the 34 inch standard seats.
Better food, way better service, free and frequently replenished alcohol, on time flights.

However, no individual air vents in many ANA planes so that is a downside and they run their planes warm.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I may be wrong but I thought UA was going to offer free alcohol on TPAC after January?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 2MM

An issue also is reliability. IME, UA is less reliable, especially if it is a 747. Take a look at the delayed international flights thread. (edit: I now see that the OP is originating IAD so he will not get a tired, old 747).

In general, ANA will not hold inter-asia connections for late UA flights, so if you are going beyond Tokyo, this is a consideration.

Also, as far as food, on ANA, the special Hindu meal is very, very good. Last time I had it, it was not vegetarian, it was chicken tikka masala.

Free booze on ANA, wine is better than on United. But still, if you want to drink good stuff, you're going to have to sneak it on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.