Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How Strict is United on Passport Expiration Dates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

So I'm traveling to a whole bunch of countries this December and January. My passport expires in February and the countries I am visiting state I can visit so long as my passport is not expired.

However ... they do say that the airline may expect 6 months validity on the passports and can deny you boarding.

So what are people's experiences with United? I don't need visas to the countries I'm going to either.

Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If it were I, I'd just get an expedited renewal, because all it takes is one uninformed or overly zealous agent to muck up your trip thoroughly.

YMMV

Sounds like a fun trip!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Asking for Trouble

some UA agents may not diligently check passport expiration, but you are asking for trouble. If you get stopped by check-in agent, you may not board plane.

Also, in most cases, to enter the U.S. you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter or reenter. What if you have trouble re-entering usa ?

I would hurry up and apply for passport renewal.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Re-entering the US will not be a problem for a US passport holder as long as the PP is valid.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Re-entering the US will not be a problem for a US passport holder as long as the PP is valid.
^ Exactly. The six-months rule on entering the US is for a non-US passport.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

So I'm traveling to a whole bunch of countries this December and January. My passport expires in February and the countries I am visiting state I can visit so long as my passport is not expired.

However ... they do say that the airline may expect 6 months validity on the passports and can deny you boarding.

So what are people's experiences with United? I don't need visas to the countries I'm going to either.

Thanks.
If the airline says 6 months, they probably mean it. The idea is that even though you have a plane ticket that says you're going to country X in January and leaving the end of January, your PTE might carry over to February. And then the airline would be liable for you. So they're simply not going to risk it. As in the other post, get an expedited renewal.

What countries are involved. While you may not need a visa, many countries require that you have 6 month validity *specifically* if you don't need a visa.

Last edited by Tchiowa; Dec 2, 2014 at 9:37 pm
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just so we are on the same page. The State Department said I don't need to worry, but did say some airlines can be over zealous. So my concern is not with immigration agents, rather with United.

Has anyone had United kick up a fuss (or not kick up a fuss) for a soon to expire passport?

Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Cool

Just so we are on the same page. The State Department said I don't need to worry, but did say some airlines can be over zealous. So my concern is not with immigration agents, rather with United.

Has anyone had United kick up a fuss (or not kick up a fuss) for a soon to expire passport?

Thanks.
This. I'd try to get the expedited renewal for this reason rather than risk being stuck arguing with a clueless airline drone as my flight takes off.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Just get an expedite. Its pretty painless.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
If it were I, I'd just get an expedited renewal, because all it takes is one uninformed or overly zealous agent to muck up your trip thoroughly.

YMMV

Sounds like a fun trip!
This. If you live close to a passport office, you can make an appointment within the next 2 weeks. You may need to show proof of travel, but it sounds like that won't be an issue. I just added pages to my passport, with overnight service, at the Los Angeles Passport Office, and simply used a YYZ trip.

Originally Posted by npei
some UA agents may not diligently check passport expiration, but you are asking for trouble. If you get stopped by check-in agent, you may not board plane.

Also, in most cases, to enter the U.S. you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter or reenter. What if you have trouble re-entering usa ?

I would hurry up and apply for passport renewal.
US citizens do not need 6 months validity.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
For not US passports holders too - to enter to US passport must be valid for
the period of intended stay only.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Whether anyone else has or not, is it really worth a few dollars to risk your entire trip? If you're that desparate to save a few bucks, go for it and good luck!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you're that desperate to save a few bucks, go for it!
^

Absolutely! You can make a game of it as you wait to check-in for your various flights and to clear passport control as you enter each country. "Will they let me board/into the country?"
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:04 pm

Why risk it? You have the possibility of a screwed up trip by United, or even by the countries you are going to if they, unbeknownst to you, change their policy. You still have plenty of time to renew your passport. Why not just renew?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Both passports will expire in February 2015??
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: United Silver
I wouldn't risk it.. too much at stake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.