Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Thanksgiving Eve Northeast US Winter Storm and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Link to the list of United's cancelled flights for 26 November:

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/UAL/cancelled

Link to travel waiver for this event:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...72-2045-1-1156

American and Delta Airlines are carriers that also have waivers in place.

AA: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...avelAlerts.jsp

US: http://www.usairways.com/TravelCente...dvisories.aspx

DL: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ter-storm.html

AS: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...dvisories.aspx
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond

Kind of interesting that a thread has not been started on this topic yet. As most probably are learning, it looks like the east coast is going to get smacked with a winter storm on Wednesday. Accuweather is saying several inches of snow in the NYC metro area, and a mix of rain, ice, and snow in the DC metro area.

Given that there are two UA hubs in the affected area, I'm kind of surprised that a waiver hasn't been issued yet. FWIW, Delta and American have both issued very lenient exception policies already, leaving UA as the odd carrier out.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I am waiting as I fly out wed night
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I have an early afternoon flight out of EWR on Wednesday so I've been watching this closely too. I've never traveled through EWR in bad weather in recent memory. How likely is United to cancel flights altogether for the heavy rain and 1-3" of wet snow that is currently forecast?

I don't really care when I arrive on Wednesday, so if there's a weather waiver I'd probably keep my flight (assuming there will be delays) unless there is a high risk of cancellation.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I've never traveled through EWR in bad weather in recent memory. How likely is United to cancel flights altogether for the heavy rain and 1-3" of wet snow that is currently forecast?
there is a significant risk of cancel in those conditions, particularly at EWR. the shorter the flight, the more the risk compounds due to long ATC backups. if you can fly via another hub (assuming EWR is your connecting point) you are well advised to do so.

this is terrible timing given the Thanksgiving holiday and planes full to the brim and beyond. it should be an epic mess.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
I'm supposed to fly at the worst possible time, it seems -- 9:09 p.m, EWR-TPA. Seems like a cancellation is a strong possibility, if not the likely outcome. Should be a fun time!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
there is a significant risk of cancel in those conditions, particularly at EWR. the shorter the flight, the more the risk compounds due to long ATC backups. if you can fly via another hub (assuming EWR is your connecting point) you are well advised to do so.

this is terrible timing given the Thanksgiving holiday and planes full to the brim and beyond. it should be an epic mess.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I am flying EWR-MCO so not much I can do unless there is a weather waiver and I'm lucky enough to get on a flight tomorrow or Thursday instead.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'm flying SFO-EWR-RIC and the EWR-RIC is an E145, so right in the crosshairs. Really looking for a weather waiver since I assume SDC will be gummed up.

In the event dear United fails us, I guess I'll be smuggling a turkey sandwich from Balducci's into the C120 club. Any other fellow stranded FT'ers are welcome to join. The meal will be complimented by Gordon's Gin and Sycamore Lane wines.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Awaiting UA issue service advisory/waiver and allow folks to change to earlier as it might be a cluster to wait until Wednesday afternoon to decide delays or cancellations.

Delts has already issued.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Awaiting UA issue service advisory/waiver and allow folks to change to earlier as it might be a cluster to wait until Wednesday afternoon to decide delays or cancellations.

Delts has already issued.
Do United's waivers typically just waive the change fee or also the difference in fare?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
I'm supposed to fly SNA-EWR on Tuesday night (8:57P departure, 5:00A arrival), connection to UAX to PVD. Should I expect that the first EWR-PVD of the day (UA4788, 8:15A departure, 9:22A arrival, Q200) to cancel?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Do United's waivers typically just waive the change fee or also the difference in fare?
Typically both. Change fee and seat exchange for seat in same cabin.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
It's only a matter of time before UA announces flexible booking for affected Northeast area airports. They normally are among first in the pact but not sure why not this time. Maybe b/c ORD is being impacted today?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
for those of you on direct flights with high levels of status, you may want to consider standby on early AM flights if UA is not forthcoming with a WW
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
for those of you on direct flights with high levels of status, you may want to consider standby on early AM flights if UA is not forthcoming with a WW
Even early AM flights may not be enough as the NWS is forecasting rain until 10AM, then switching to snow--so I suppose that anything before 9-9:30 will be ok.

ETA: And I'm looking at the Amtrak options just in case as those tickets are (used to be, at least) refundable.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:19 pm

Yikes! Will have NYC-HKG Thursday early morning. I hope that will make it easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.