Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Thanksgiving Eve Northeast US Winter Storm and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Link to the list of United's cancelled flights for 26 November:

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/UAL/cancelled

Link to travel waiver for this event:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...72-2045-1-1156

American and Delta Airlines are carriers that also have waivers in place.

AA: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...avelAlerts.jsp

US: http://www.usairways.com/TravelCente...dvisories.aspx

DL: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ter-storm.html

AS: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...dvisories.aspx
Print Wikipost

2014 Thanksgiving Eve Northeast US Winter Storm and Impact to UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
14:59 and 16:36 DCA-EWR are now canceled, but my 18:09 still says it's going.

On a Dash-8.

From a city with weather drama to another city with weather drama.

At the end of a day of weather drama.

I don't have high expectations...
I should be on that 18:09, as well -- think it won't go?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Since when did a storm that will bring a few inches of snow to cities become nearly the end of the world lol? I know it sounds dramatic (and probably is) but didn't we all used to deal with winter weather better - both individually and airlines?
I think it's due to the particular day that this storm is happening - the busiest travel day of the year. So more folks are impacted (and dramatically, indeed) versus a routine mid-January Tuesday storm.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by theone1080
If I were you two, I'd get together and drive. You could leave now and get there well ahead of a 6:09 pm departure.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Plane is getting to ORF an hour late. Means BEST case it'll get back to EWR an hour late as well, but given the delays at EWR I'd bank on 90+ minutes late...add in delays out of EWR I would bet it doesn't leave DCA before 20:00 tonight.

Question is if crew will time out...or if I'll make my connection.

Unfortunately, meetings this afternoon, so leaving earlier/driving wasn't an option.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by aacharya
If I were you two, I'd get together and drive. You could leave now and get there well ahead of a 6:09 pm departure.
if i were them i'd have had a train ticket long since booked...
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
if i were them i'd have had a train ticket long since booked...
Leaving early is not an option for me either. Am barely making this flight. Just hoping it goes. I guess Amtrak is the back up plan.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Leaving early is not an option for me either. Am barely making this flight. Just hoping it goes. I guess Amtrak is the back up plan.
Unfortunately for me, if it cancels or is severely late and I miss my connection, it looks like a 24 hour delay for me. On top of that, the DCA-EWR flights tomorrow stop at noon, meaning 11 hours in Newark or shelling out for a train ticket.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
If your flying out of IAD the access roads are clear its rain until Tyron's. No lines at all right now, kinda quiet. And some really good deserts at the LH lounge
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:17 pm

Apparently there's also an equipment outage at EWR on top of everything else as of 14:15 LOL

Due to WX / LOW CIGS and EQUIPMENT / OUTAGE, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 3 hours and 18 minutes.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Apparently there's also an equipment outage at EWR on top of everything else as of 14:15 LOL

Due to WX / LOW CIGS and EQUIPMENT / OUTAGE, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 3 hours and 18 minutes.
Wow, so thanksgiving holiday rush + weather + equipment outage + turboprop

Nothing is working in our favor today...
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
If your flying out of IAD the access roads are clear its rain until Tyron's. No lines at all right now, kinda quiet. And some really good deserts at the LH lounge
Yeah, IAD seemed like a ghost town. I wasn't complaining

I got my MR rerouted on a more direct path, and my ticket has been marked INVOL after I missed my connection. Happy thanksgiving
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Baze
They may put you in that fare class to get you on the plane but what they have been doing when the miles post is they post under the original fare class. Pretty much gone are they days when you got put in a Y fare to put you on the plane and then the miles posted as a Y fare with the bonuses. It may happen, but not so much lately. You get what you paid for, not what you flew.

I think the language about allowing any fare class is there to allow customers to switch to any flight that's Y > 0.

It's much easier for them to put that language in there than to train every rogue CO agent who would otherwise refuse an IRROP rebook over a fare bucket availability issue.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Update from FAA OIS
EWR 2200 HIGH ALL + CZY (NON RNAV RWY 4R CAPAPBLE ACFT ONLY) EQUIPMENT / OUTAGE
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Update from FAA OIS
EWR 2200 HIGH ALL + CZY (NON RNAV RWY 4R CAPAPBLE ACFT ONLY) EQUIPMENT / OUTAGE
For the layman, I guess that is something about certain aircraft may have restrictions to certain runways due to some nav equipment out? ...thus imposing more constraints on the air traffic control.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd
For the layman, I guess that is something about certain aircraft may have restrictions to certain runways due to some nav equipment out? ...thus imposing more constraints on the air traffic control.
Yeah - my little chariot is stuck in ORF and just took another hour delay. They're admitting 90 min late out of DCA now, looking like 2:30 to 3 hours minimum...if the crew doesn't time out...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.