Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Express Carrier Skywest Retires All EMB-120s on 5 May 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Discussion about the end of CLD-LAX service may be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1630733-united-express-carrier-skywest-end-cld-lax-service-may-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC

Interesting news out of Skywest on the retirement of all of the EMBs by summer 2015...wonder what it will mean for the smaller cities served by UA in California at this point...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/skywes...232000680.html
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I wonder what this will do with MRY-SFO.

They axed MRY-DEN...that would leave the only remaining UA route out of MRY as LAX.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

I'd rather take an EMB-120 over a CRJ-200 for short-haul regional flights.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda

I'd rather take an EMB-120 over a CRJ-200 for short-haul regional flights.
I'd take a Fokker Triplane over the CRJ-200.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
So loved flying them to/from SBA, what a bummer - first the Q400s and now the Brasilias Will forever miss seat 9C!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
So loved flying them to/from SBA, what a bummer - first the Q400s and now the Brasilias Will forever miss seat 9C!
It is not too late to contact OO. Perhaps they will sell you a seat with a 9C sticker--may help them to get some money back from their investment and you get the bonus of being able to sit in the seat anytime you want. Get out your ipad and you can even watch a movie (without the earplugs needed when the E120s are inflight) and enjoy the ride in the comfort of your own home.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
True end of an era. Already they've closed the CIC (Chico) station that served as my home airport for many, many years. Time to change my flyertalk handle!

Will they be bringing more CRJ200s in, or looking for something else?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I wonder what this will do with MRY-SFO.

They axed MRY-DEN...that would leave the only remaining UA route out of MRY as LAX.
I remember when 757s used to roar off the MRY runway for the 70ish mile flight up to SFO. Driving down Hwy 1, you almost needed to duck.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US CP
MRY to SFO is surely doomed - cancelled half of the time already as it is and the market is pretty well served by US/AA.

That news would come right after them cancelling the LAX to YUM flights effective December 2, which is forcing me to switch carrier loyalty. Frustrating to say the least.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I fly out of SMX, SBA, SBP pretty often, I wonder how this will all shake out. I'm guessing SMX-LAX is getting axed. Wouldn't surprise me if SBP lost either SFO or LAX. I think SBA-LAX and SBA-SFO should be safe as LAX is all CRJ already.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I'd take a Fokker Triplane over the CRJ-200.
Not a fair comparison. I'd take a Fokker Triplane over anything, including a First Class seat in a 747 on any airline.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by BajaPanda
MRY to SFO is surely doomed - cancelled half of the time already as it is and the market is pretty well served by US/AA.
This summer when SFO was having the runway issues the night before they cancelled by MRY-SFO flight but I was able to get them to rebook me MRY-LAX-JFK with my RPU for the p.s. leg being able to carry over from SFO-JFK.

Not specific to UA but with MRY you also have the fog that can be an issue. One Christmas Eve I was flying up from LAX and we tried 2 or 3 landings but didn't make whatever the visibility threshold is to land. We then went up and parked at SJC for about and hour and then the fog cleared and we could come back in.

I can't speak for others but FWIW by methodology behind MRY is if I can connect through LAX I will since it seems to be a bit more reliable.

If I have the choice I am more likely to just go up to SFO if I am on the way out leaving for something big...example I'm taking my Mom to Tokyo for her birthday and opting to just go up to SFO instead of having the worry that if something happens to MRY-SFO that morning we can be SOL.

Coming IN to MRY I am less worried because I'm already almost there and if something cxls or mucks up I can just drive down in 2 hours--last time NRT-SFO was late which made me miss the baggage cut off for SFO-MRY so I cancelled the leg and rented a car and drove down. I emailed 1KVoice saying to just make sure to credit back that leg since I cxl'd it with the agent at the baggage re-check. 2 Days later I got an email AND a voicemail saying to send them my rental receipt and they would credit me the amount in a voucher to use on a flight.

Will be interesting to see what happens...I assume it'll just go to the only UA op being the LAX flights. At least with that you have locals going to visit LA, locals connecting to long haul/t-con out of LAX and then tourists who are maybe coming up from LA to visit Big Sur/Pebble Beach/etc and then dot up and leave out of SFO.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by smxflyer
I fly out of SMX, SBA, SBP pretty often, I wonder how this will all shake out. I'm guessing SMX-LAX is getting axed. Wouldn't surprise me if SBP lost either SFO or LAX. I think SBA-LAX and SBA-SFO should be safe as LAX is all CRJ already.
I haven't flown in/out of SBA since I graduated UCSB in 2005 but compared to things like MRY or other cities of size and distance to a hub is that it at least has the extra college population of students/parents coming and going.
Looking at the route map I just noticed that they have SBA-DEN
MRY-DEN was a nice route for us to go to Telluride but that is less of a blow now as Great Lakes is no longer running DEN-TEX.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:05 pm

Totally agree, 9 B/C for a couple are the BEST seats ever. The EMB 120 is one of my favorites, flew them often SAN-LAX-SAN and surely will miss them.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
9C ACV-SFO and return. basically grew up on that flight - weird to think of anything else (even if i Have been on other planes on that route I just think about that as the sole service)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.