Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Running out of BOB

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Gee whiz. I guess United is the only airline to ever run out of a BOB item on a flight. Ever.

I think UA should evaluate and make adjustments to prevent this from happening. I'm just not going to use it as another excuse to bring up a litany of complaints.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Baze
Showing your age huh? Guess I'm showing mine too as I know what you are referring to.
Kids today,,,,they don't know nothing!

Time for my nap,before my run...
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would much rather see UA devote its efforts to a pre-order service where you have a decent selection, pay in advance and your meal is onboard. Conversely if you change flights for any reason, the meal is gone and you know in advance that you won't be fed and can make other arrangements.

Alternatively, carts at the gate which have 3-4 choices which can be purchased. These can easily be restocked and work well for those on the run.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
I would much rather see UA devote its efforts to a pre-order service where you have a decent selection, pay in advance and your meal is onboard. Conversely if you change flights for any reason, the meal is gone and you know in advance that you won't be fed and can make other arrangements.
These don't have to be mutually exclusive (e.g., AA) :-:
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

Alternatively, carts at the gate which have 3-4 choices which can be purchased. These can easily be restocked and work well for those on the run.
Agreed on most of this

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
These don't have to be mutually exclusive (e.g., AA) :-:
c'mon now. baby steps.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:34 am

Yes. That would be a logical plan. I wouldn't hold much hope for that happening.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I would much rather see UA devote its efforts to a pre-order service where you have a decent selection, pay in advance and your meal is onboard...

Second idea excellent, and much less of an IT / infrastructure challenge; less to screw up.

First idea doesn't work for the many / most people who don't know in advance they want BOB. First choice would be not to miss a normal meal earlier in the day, then eat before flying, then grab sandwich while connecting... only when none of those things work out do you default back to BOB so you don't starve. BOB is poor value and not very healthy or pleasant, so I would always hope until boarding I can eat something else.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:15 am

I imagine something like BoB is incredibly hard to plan for in terms of logistics because I can see demand fluctuate from "nothing" to "a lot" on flights. If your demand fluctuates between 1 and 10, you aren't going to stock 10 as a rule, you're going to stock 4 or 5.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
They never run out of my items...vodka and gummy bears . Those Haribo gummies are damn delicious!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Um, I think this already exists, unless I am misunderstanding you. Airports have plenty of food retailers adjacent to gate areas with pre-packaged / ready-to-go sandwiches, salads and other snacks that can be purchased as you walk by on your way to the plane, no?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:27 am

solution: instead of current BOB offerings, UA should just start selling MRE (keep 50 to 70 on the aircraft)
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:00 am

MRE's won't fly

Originally Posted by TENYKS
solution: instead of current BOB offerings, UA should just start selling MRE (keep 50 to 70 on the aircraft)
That would never work. Somebody put some thought into the nutritional content of MRE's. Therefore they are inappropriate as airline food.

You *might* allow them on the grounds that they are prepared for infantry in the field who will burn more calories in a day than I burn in a week.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage
A long time ago, AA and DL had refrigerated containers in the jetways that contained a bag with a sandwich, chips, and carrots that Y passengers could grab before entering the plane.

Why couldn't UA do this? There would be little waste because the remaining items could then be offered on another departing flight.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by DFW2TUL
A long time ago, AA and DL had refrigerated containers in the jetways that contained a bag with a sandwich, chips, and carrots that Y passengers could grab before entering the plane.

Why couldn't UA do this?
Was AA and DL charging for those items? As UA charges for BOB it would slow down the boarding process a lot to try and take credit cards in the jetway. I guess they could try and sell some BOB items at the gate area but the concessions at the airport might have something to say about that.

On the rare occasion I carry on my own food into Y it is usually a Subway footlong, and I feel like quite a glutton compared to the dinkey sized sandwiches UA charges more for.

SunLover
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I can understand running out of fresh meals. Maybe they need to update their scanners to track purchases a bit better. Instead of running out at row 20-25, maybe row 25-30 with an occasional leftover that can be used in lieu of a crew meal?

But there is no excuse for the snack boxes. Easy to keep a few extras around. Some items in them are not any less healthy than the fresh food.

Anyone tried to buy a snack box in domestic first? I've been told "no", or only been offered what was left after the economy service. I've been on a few flights where everything is gone except a single snack item (all boxes, all fresh, most snacks) and was given it for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.