Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who should I file my claim with?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond, spg gold, mileage plus 1K, a nobody with delta skymiles
Who should I file my claim with?

I had a UAL award ticket for LAX-FRA-ATH-JTR. the LAX-FRA flight was cancelled and I was re routed via MUC. I made it however, to the original booking on the ATH-JTR leg. Not surprisingly, my checked in luggage arrived 2 full days later. The Lufthansa CS at MUC told me to buy my necessities and just submit a claim later which is exactly what I did.

Upon my return, I called UAL baggage claim and was told I should submit my claim with last airline who handled my luggage which in this case is Aegean. I can only expect Aegean will deny any responsibility since they had nothing to do with the mishandled luggage. The mishandling originated at LAX due to the cancelled flight.

Who should I file my claim with? Thanks in advance for all your input.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Your travel insurance company who will then claim it off of the appropriate parties
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
United was correct. It doesn't matter where the actual problem happened - you always claim with the airline who was supposed to ultimately deliver your bags at the end. They all have procedures to handle these situations.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Was this one ticket or multiple seperate tickets?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
United was correct. It doesn't matter where the actual problem happened - you always claim with the airline who was supposed to ultimately deliver your bags at the end. They all have procedures to handle these situations.
+1 - There are IATA processes to settle the costs of baggage delays between airlines behind the scenes. The passenger always deals with the final carrier (and is usually subject to their policies & procedures).

Originally Posted by Starblazer
Yes, this is a good question. My comment above only applies when its one ticket (or one conjunctive ticket).
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond, spg gold, mileage plus 1K, a nobody with delta skymiles
It is one ticket, same Conf #. I'm back in the US and in this case, Aegean was the last plane I boarded, then the claim is vs Aegean? I wonder about the likelihood that I will ever be reimbursed, Aegean is a Greek airline and can easily dismiss my claim using the excuse of having their own policies and procedures. In this case, shouldn't all airlines follow the same rule amongst themselves when it comes to routine matters like mishandled luggage?

The reason for my concern is on the return, I purchased my one way JTR-ATH ticket from United, paid for the fare class that included a free checked luggage despite my Plat status with UAL just to make sure AND a printed confirmation that clearly states 1st bag is no cost. When I checked in with Aegean at the airport, they insisted that I pay for the checked bag (€25) because that's what they see in their "system" - whatever that means. Aegean in this case does not recognize or honor what UAL, their star alliance partner, sold to its customers nor recognize star alliance platinum status benefit regarding checked bags. They can conveniently claim that "they have their own rules" . Can they really do that? Should I have just purchased the ticket from Aegean instead of UAL?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by pocahontas
It is one ticket, same Conf #. I'm back in the US and in this case, Aegean was the last plane I boarded, then the claim is vs Aegean? I wonder about the likelihood that I will ever be reimbursed, Aegean is a Greek airline and can easily dismiss my claim using the excuse of having their own policies and procedures. In this case, shouldn't all airlines follow the same rule amongst themselves when it comes to routine matters like mishandled luggage?

The reason for my concern is on the return, I purchased my one way JTR-ATH ticket from United, paid for the fare class that included a free checked luggage despite my Plat status with UAL just to make sure AND a printed confirmation that clearly states 1st bag is no cost. When I checked in with Aegean at the airport, they insisted that I pay for the checked bag (€25) because that's what they see in their "system" - whatever that means. Aegean in this case does not recognize or honor what UAL, their star alliance partner, sold to its customers nor recognize star alliance platinum status benefit regarding checked bags. They can conveniently claim that "they have their own rules" . Can they really do that? Should I have just purchased the ticket from Aegean instead of UAL?
Lost delayed luggage claims are always against the final carrier.
You file the failure to honor the ticket claim with United.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP

Depending on what credit card you used for the ticket it might be checking to see if there is some benefit there that also covers you.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

You file the claim with the final carrier who transported you, period.

If you file with UA, they're going to deny everything saying they weren't the final carrier. Even if everything is ultimately UA's fault.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For your purposes, it is irrelevant who mishandled the luggage and whether the luggage was mishandled at all. Your claim is with A3. As the bag was delivered, apparently intact, you are stuck with whatever A3's policy is for interim reimbursements.

My suggestion is to make the claim on your baggage insurance and let them slug it out.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by channa
You file the claim with the final carrier who transported you, period.
Incorrect, I had a pax who traveled Africa-somewhere-dxb-jfk / lga-hub-here

It was all on one "ticket" according to the pax, one itin from the TA. The claim should have been with Emirates. The pax wasn't happy. It wasn't a UA issue.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Tell me about this *A platinum status?
(I only know of *S and *G...)
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
My wife has gotten **Turkish Airlines** to pay compensation for late baggage caused by a United mistake on a prior segment (on CLE-ORD-IST, they loaded the bags for CLE-DEN instead; bags were > 24 hr late). She walked in with low expectations and walked out with a wad of lira. If TK can be convinced to pay compensation, A3 shouldn't be an issue.

Separate problem. If you're UA *G and were charged for a checked bag on a flight operated by A3 (or A3 regional subsidiary Olympic Air as of fall 2013 merger), file a dispute with your credit card company. Documentation should include A3's Web site showing a €0 fee for *G members.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Incorrect, I had a pax who traveled Africa-somewhere-dxb-jfk / lga-hub-here

It was all on one "ticket" according to the pax, one itin from the TA. The claim should have been with Emirates. The pax wasn't happy. It wasn't a UA issue.

The final carrier who transported you for the direction. Since they had a break in JFK/LGA, if the bag did not arrive in JFK, then the carrier for DXB-JFK (EK) is the one to claim with.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:15 am

mishandled baggage

It is an agreement with all airlines that the final carrier is the one responsible for any claim, loss or reimbursements. Regardless of how your bag was checked. Whoever gets you to your destination the day of travel will take the claim. Airlines will square up with each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.