Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

747 Routes for United (or Other * Alliance Carriers)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:18 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat

I've never flown on a 747 - and it is something I've wanted to do for a long time. My perception is that these planes are starting to get retired.... so, is there any way to find out what routes they fly or search for flight just by aircraft type? I don't care where I go, I just want to fly on one.

Thank you in advance!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
You can check the Wide Body Schedule on UnitedCargo.com every month.

If you are looking for domestic, there are no scheduled domestic 744 flights, only international. Also, your perception is not perception, it is reality. The 744's will be gone in the next few years.

Good luck, and long live the Queen (of the skies).
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by jonisflying
I've never flown on a 747 - and it is something I've wanted to do for a long time. My perception is that these planes are starting to get retired.... so, is there any way to find out what routes they fly or search for flight just by aircraft type? I don't care where I go, I just want to fly on one.

Thank you in advance!
SFO - NRT
SFO - HKG
SFO - ICN
SFO - FRA
SFO - PEK
SFO - PVG
ORD - PVG
ORD - PEK
HNL - NRT.

I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting but that's some of what is currently flown with the 747.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you Madone59 and JOSECONLSCREW28
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Others have listed the UA routes if those don't work & assuming you want to keep it in Star Alliance...
-Lufthansa who operates both 747-400 & 747-8i (which will be around for a while)
-(via Facebook) it seems Air China is launching their 748 soon.
-Asiana has a few who have been getting subbed in on some US routes but no real frequency
-EVA seems to still have them from Seattle and maybe Vancouver or vv.

And remember on UA unless you are in BusinessFirst or GlobalFirst the Economy cabin falls short of what you have probably come to expect in 2014's air travel standards.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:06 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Also, be aware that different markets have different seadonsl demand. What might get a 747 in the summer may not get one in the winter and vice versa. When you fly is a variable that needs to be included almost as much as where. Seasonal demand impacts equipment type, so use the schedule to see what is flying where and when.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The really fun part of the 747 - what sets it apart from most other planes - is being upstairs. That's Business Class on UA, so that's what you should nook.

As stated upthread, the 747-8 is a new plane and will be around for many years to come. Also, if it is upstairs you want, try the A380. With that some operators have economy upstairs - BA and MH spring to mind but I'm sure there are many others.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the replies! Yes, UA (Star Alliance second) - and BF is what I'm seeking. I'm looking at early 2015 and will probably use miles to take the trip (or cash and GPU, which I'll have a couple of in a few weeks).

Thank you!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
SFO - NRT
SFO - HKG
SFO - ICN
SFO - FRA
SFO - PEK
SFO - PVG
ORD - PVG
ORD - PEK
HNL - NRT.

I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting but that's some of what is currently flown with the 747.
It would be great if you could arrange to fly from SFO. Mid-day last week, there were 8-10 747s visible from the international terminal, including one with the former UA paint. Better hurry!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
ORD-FRA-ORD
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
another, closer one to your home airport and not listed above ---> ORD-FRA
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by artvandalay
It would be great if you could arrange to fly from SFO. Mid-day last week, there were 8-10 747s visible from the international terminal, including one with the former UA paint. Better hurry!
Not a big fan of the "+1", but I gotta give you one here. SFO is the only US airport I've seen with such an amazing display of 747 in one place. I don't mean that there are more at SFO than other airports, but they are all parked side-by-side-by-side at the UA terminal G. I'll often enter at T3 Domestic checkin to use the usually shorter PreCheck lane (that's what I tell myself) but it's really because when I walk from T3 back to T-G airside, the view of the UA 747 stretching out nearly as far as the eye can see is a beautiful thing.

Don't want to steal someone else's line, but "long live the Queen of the skies!"
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
HNL - NRT.

Today (25 October) is the last day of HNL-NRT 744 service. It becomes a three-class 777 tomorrow.

If you're on a budget, note that some carriers have economy-cabin upper deck seating on the 747 -- search around on Seatguru and see what you can find.

If you have routes in mind, Matrix will help find flights operated entirely by 747s with "/aircraft t:747".
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Thank you everyone for the replies! Yes, UA (Star Alliance second) - and BF is what I'm seeking. I'm looking at early 2015 and will probably use miles to take the trip (or cash and GPU, which I'll have a couple of in a few weeks).

Thank you!
Not sure where you are looking to go in terms of making a full holiday out of it or just a few days to the fly the plane...

...if you are looking to do it on UA then you're pretty much looking at Asia.

However, if it's just a shorter trip on miles I would try to do UA ORD-FRA and then LH FRA-USA (JFK/EWR/ORD whichever has the 748*) so you can compare and contrast.

*Even getting in J on the A380 could be cool as it is a neat plane to fly. However, some of the LH whales don't have the updated fully flat business seats.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Also, if it is upstairs you want, try the A380. With that some operators have economy upstairs - BA and MH spring to mind but I'm sure there are many others.
SQ has two versions (IIRC) - at least one version has Y upstairs (I know since I've sat there). Not 100% sure, but also IIRC, at least some of EKs have Y upstairs and AFs have their premium economy upstairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.