Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMF-ORD on UA and ORD-DUB on Aer Lingus

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:23 am
Original Poster

SMF-ORD on UA and ORD-DUB on Aer Lingus

I've obtained award seats on Aer Lingus from Mileage Plus for September 2015 from ORD to DUB. I plan to get to ORD from the west coast by redeeming another award, likely a UA standard award, for a flight on UA from SMF to ORD. There will be about a 7-hour layover in ORD. The combined total of miles needed is still less than a standard award from the west coast to DUB, 55000 vs. 65000.

As these will be on different PNRs, is there a way to check my luggage through from SMF to DUB? Or, will I need to pick up my bags at ORD and recheck them?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not sure I understand your logic. A UA award to DUB on EI costs the same number of miles whether you originate at SMF or ORD (30,000 miles for saver economy).

But to answer your question, yes, you should be able to check your bags through at SMF. Although this is never guaranteed.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure I understand your logic. A UA award to DUB on EI costs the same number of miles whether you originate at SMF or ORD (30,000 miles for saver economy).

But to answer your question, yes, you should be able to check your bags through at SMF. Although this is never guaranteed.
The logic is most simple: saver awards from SMF-DUB are unavailable, while saver awards from ORD are readily available. And, as miles are in plentiful supply these days, I'm inclined to deploy them in this manner.

On the return, which will be FCO-SMF, I'm inclined to book a saver award FCO-LAX, stay overnight, and then return to SMF via WN points.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
The logic is most simple: saver awards from SMF-DUB are unavailable, while saver awards from ORD are readily available. And, as miles are in plentiful supply these days, I'm inclined to deploy them in this manner.

On the return, which will be FCO-SMF, I'm inclined to book a saver award FCO-LAX, stay overnight, and then return to SMF via WN points.
Firstly, I did an award SMF-DUB. The availability comes and goes since SMF-ORD can be tough to get. Perhaps try SFO/SJC-ORD instead?

Besides the problem of tagging luggage all the way through, this idea of doing a trip on multiple separate tickets is fraught with danger.

For example if SMF-ORD is late getting in, then UA may not want to rebook you on ORD-DUB. You may things its all UA, but to UA its two separate tickets. If you take this "route" then best to book a night stay just in case.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:03 pm

You have more than enough time to claim your bags and check them in at Aer Lingus. I wouldn't trust UA anyhow to do it.

Plus, don't you need to go out of security to reach Aer Lingus in Terminal 5?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

I did mean SMF-DUB, which includes SMF-ORD; on 9/11/15 saver awards were (are) unavailable for either possibility. I could have potentially obtained a saver routing LAX-DUB, but that involves other hurdles.

There's nothing wrong with "wasting miles"; it's inherently better than wasting money, as miles can be obtained essentially at no charge, and can always be replenished at essentially no charge.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 16, 2014 at 10:46 pm Reason: deleted reference to deleted post
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
There's nothing wrong with "wasting miles"; it's inherently better than wasting money, as miles can be obtained essentially at no charge, and can always be replenished at essentially no charge.
The point some are making is that your SMF-ORD segment would already be "paid" for given you have a TATL flight booked.

As long as you promise "us" you'll look to tag on a saver seat SMF-ORD (once it opens) and cancel your standard award booked separately, that will placate us
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. As to luggage, the answer is "maybe" and you won't know until you check in at SMF. Make it easy for the agent by having a print-out of your EI e-ticket receipt. It is the actual ticket #, not PNR, which the agent will need.

2. The greater problem is the separate ticket. Even though both are booked with UA miles, that is simply a form of payment. You will not be connecting at ORD, but starting a separate ticket. If your UA flight is delayed or cancelled and you miss your EI flight, you have simply noshowed and your EI ticket will be cancelled. Perhaps you can get EI to reinstate and rebook, but perhaps not. Any incidental costs of the delay such as hotels & food are on your nickel
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The point some are making is that your SMF-ORD segment would already be "paid" for given you have a TATL flight booked.

As long as you promise "us" you'll look to tag on a saver seat SMF-ORD (once it opens) and cancel your standard award booked separately, that will placate us
I would be happy to. Perhaps you could help me by explaining how that would be accomplished and what the costs would be for someone without fee-waiving status.

The saver seat may, of course, never materialize.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is truly a waste of miles.

1. This route is not an expensive route. And OP is not traveling during holiday season. Don't see why the rush.

2. There are plenty of options to DUB, including UA metal (I know everyone hates TATL 752s )

3. Seriously, time is better spent if OP flies to Europe first (like LHR) and then DUB.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would be happy to. Perhaps you could help me by explaining how that would be accomplished and what the costs would be for someone without fee-waiving status.

The saver seat may, of course, never materialize.
Fee would be $75 as you are changing origin.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
It is truly a waste of miles.

1. This route is not an expensive route. And OP is not traveling during holiday season. Don't see why the rush.

2. There are plenty of options to DUB, including UA metal (I know everyone hates TATL 752s )

3. Seriously, time is better spent if OP flies to Europe first (like LHR) and then DUB.
DUB is as much Europe as LHR
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
If you have access to BA Avios points you may want to consider BOS-DUB.
BOS-DUB is 12500 Avios o/w. (25k for J)

Get to BOS with a UA award ticket or buy it if the price is right.
Leave a LONG layover in BOS in case of a delay getting there... Even an overnight is a good idea.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Followup in response to your suggestions

In response to everyone's suggestions, I found saver award availability SMF-IAH-ORD on 9/11/15 that will connect at ORD with the award I had previously booked on line, namely the 8pm EI flight ORD-DUB.

I called United and the agent was, after some prodding, able to add the new segments to my existing on-line reservation for a change fee of $100 per ticket, but no additional miles. And, everything is now on one reservation. Initially the agent wondered aloud "whether we should just make a separate reservation to avoid the change fee" and "whether additional miles would be needed". With my guidance, we just paid the $200. Mysteriously, there is no separate $25 charge for making a booking through an agent; I guess that charge is included.

While I initially felt confident that using the early morning (643am) nonstop SMF-ORD, with its 7-hour+ layover to the 8pm ORD-DUB flight, offered enough of a connection cushion, even if on separate reservations, it does seem a better deal to save 50,000 miles (traditionally there does not appear to be saver availability on that flight) and take on the risk of an additional connection at IAH, for $200. Now, instead of a long layover at ORD, we will take a more circuitous path, but departure time from SMF is about the same.

In about a week, I will be attempting something similar, looking to book saver awards from FCO to SMF for 9/26/15, likely via Air Canada through Toronto or Montreal and on to LAX, with a possibility being a Saturday night stay at LAX and an early Sunday morning (9/27) return to SMF. That last flight seems a good bet to have saver availability.

Am I correct that if I book FCO-LAX on line, I can get a free change to add LAX-SMF if I call it in within 24 hours? Or perhaps there will be a $25 agent charge? Inventory will open up 24 hours apart, as LAX-SMF is one day after FCO-LAX.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Congrats on adding the segments.

There are likely to be multiple schedule changes between now and next September. This should work out to your advantage; keep an eye on your reservation and then when there is a change, try to move to the SMF-ORD nonstop. I have no doubt this will be possible (but may take some persistence).

For your return, I think you are over thinking it. Wait a day and book FCO-SMF. You may be able to even book FCO-IAD-SMF. It's a myth that everything opens up at 330 days and thats your only shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.