Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 703 12 Oct 2014. Ebola Scare. Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

I was on UA 703 yesterday, which had an Ebola scare and thankfully false alarm. But it resulted in us sitting on the tarmac at LAX for 3 hours, getting off at a remote terminal near the international terminal, taking a bus back to T7 and then waiting another hour for our luggage to come back. Not to mention they closed off the economy bathrooms from T-2hrs from landing till we got off 5 hours later, making for long lines to use the business bathrooms and many unhappy people. And nothing (drink wise) was offered to passengers while we sat there or were waiting to get off.

I know I should just be grateful that it wasn't the real thing, but it was a real mess in the cabin that could have been handled better. The FA's and captain were being very vague and aloof throughout the flight with their announcements and just sitting at their seats during the time we were at LAX. Most of the the announcements were for us to just sit in our seats and wait. Fortunately most of the passengers were calm. The captain and 1st officer stayed locked in their cockpit when we weren't moving, until the very end, when the fire dept gave the all-clear. Every one of the crew avoided using the E word, to avoid panic, which I understand, but at the same time, they were not being very helpful or straight with us. And on top of that we had to wait forever for our luggage to come. Many people missed their connecting flights (not me).

Is it wrong for me to ask for any compensation for the inconvenience? Or should I just keep my mouth shut and be happy it wasn't the real thing?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
So, the episodes of Ebola scare we've been seeing recently are a bit extreme - both airlines and authorities are overreacting and putting in place measures that don't offer any actual protection, but, besides the point, let's assume that your flight did actually have a possible contagion onboard. I'm assuming UA has procedures for this, and they probably involve:

A) Keeping information to a minimum to ensure people don't panic and do stupid things like blow an emergency exit while waiting on the tarmac
B) Isolating the crew as much as possible (hence keeping the cockpit door closed and FAs in their seats)
C) Minimizing possible routes of transmission (passing things around like drinks, having people walk through the cabin, restrooms, etc)
D) Prioritizing safety (in this case, isolation of passengers and crew from others) at the expense of some amenities

In this case, it looks like UA performed their job just fine. I don't think you are due any compensation, as the exact same thing could have happened on any other airline - it was a risk of travel, and not something United could have prevented. How exactly would you recommend them doing a better job, assuming the risk in this case was real?

edit: the flight status for UA 703 on Oct 12th shows that it arrived at the gate (in terminal 7, as you noted) at 3:01pm, just about one hour late. Were you then held at the gate for another 2 hours?)
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
This was something almost completely outside of United's control so I wouldn't ask for compensation. I imagine no one on the plane knew much and FAs and pilots were probably told what to do (e.g., close the restrooms). I suggest you move on and be thankful everyone is healthy.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
PMUA used to compensate for incidents like this sua sponte, but I doubt the new UA will. I would not waste your time complaining, unless it is to address that the emergency snacks and water were not provided during the delay (ebola is not an airborne virus...).

How about some more details about the flight?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I completely disagree with the above posters. I think you are due some compensation and would be asking for it if I were you. This was a much bigger inconvenience than a broken tray table or non-working entertainment system, both of which I have experienced and been compensated for.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
I completely disagree with the above posters. I think you are due some compensation and would be asking for it if I were you. This was a much bigger inconvenience than a broken tray table or non-working entertainment system, both of which I have experienced and been compensated for.
A broken tray table or entertainment system are things entirely within UA's domain of control and do deserve compensation. Being held on the ground for a medical isolation due to a perceived transmission risk to an airport full of people is not something within their control. That's like asking for compensation because JFK is closed due to a giant snowstorm.

Now, as I mentioned in my first post, the actual threat of Ebola probably was exaggerated, but UA may have received guidance from CDC or something outlining this procedure if there was a sign of a potentially contagious patient (one showing symptoms of Ebola who had recently traveled to West Africa) onboard.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I think you're missing the point...

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
This was a much bigger inconvenience than a broken tray table or non-working entertainment system, both of which I have experienced and been compensated for.
Aircraft maintenance or the failure thereof is under United's control. Ebola scares, which unfortunately are likely to become relatively commonplace, aren't.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I still don't agree, especially if OP's account is correct. UA could have handled this better. I would ask for compensation.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
One bathroom? I'll hold off on the drinks.

Holding people in a little metal tube for 3 extra hours seems less than optimal.

Is it only UA that gets Eblola passengers?

I don't understand why the crew locking themselves in place is seen as a positive. Them segregating themselves just makes me think even more that I don't want to be in the plane. It's not like getting exposed to Ebola would cause crew issues in the short term.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Be Reasonable.

Much of what transpired was beyond UA's control, as others have pointed out.

Everybody onboard suffered, and no one should profit off the misfortune of others (i.e. the sick passenger).

If UA decides to offer you something, fine. But begging for compensation is just poor form in this situation.

I had a similar situation many years ago where a pax had a massive heart attack over Canada, and we had to make an emergency stop. We were forced to sit on the plane for three hours plus with no ability to deplane because there were no customs officers at the airport. It sucked big time, but I never thought of asking UA for comp.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 13, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jigen666
I know I should just be grateful that it wasn't the real thing . . . .
Yes, you should.

Is it wrong for me to ask for any compensation for the inconvenience?
Yes.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
If UA decides to offer you something, fine. But begging for compensation is just poor form in this situation.
^^

Originally Posted by PushingTin
Is it only UA that gets Eblola passengers?
No. Hazmat Crews Board US Airways Flight After Flier's Ebola Joke
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, Avis First
If I was in what you described I would provide feedback to UA on how to improve so it does not happen again. You could add your disappointment in how it was handled but asking for compensation for that seems unwarranted.

I have complained to United in taking a bad situation and informing them of what went wrong, my disappointment in how it was handled, and ways that it could have been improved from my perspective. I don't ask for anything with these emails because I hope it creates change and prevents another issue. Sometimes UA will comp me different value of certificates and sometimes they don't.

Either way I think providing feedback to UA even if they don't listen is better than complaining and asking for a hand out in a bad situation that is outside of their control.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
PMUA used to compensate for incidents like this sua sponte, but I doubt the new UA will. I would not waste your time complaining, unless it is to address that the emergency snacks and water were not provided during the delay (ebola is not an airborne virus...).

How about some more details about the flight?
At work now. will try to share details later.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
2hr tarmac delay with no food or water?
3hr tarmac delay where you were unable to get off?
-> File a DOT complaint. This is not acceptable IMO.

The DOT will assess if UA followed their own extended tarmac delay policy and if any fine should be assessed. The DOT can assess if there's an exemption because of imaginary ebola.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Jigen666
And nothing (drink wise) was offered to passengers while we sat there or were waiting to get off.
This was entirely in UA's control. OP should ask for compensation for lack of water and presumably food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.