Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bait & Switch? Online upgrade offers billed at higher price / not correctly booked!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bait & Switch? Online upgrade offers billed at higher price / not correctly booked!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Please search the forum before posting, this was just covered less than 6 months ago: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-i-suffer.html

IMO you should check 100% of credit card transactions; merchants screw up all the time.

Last edited by mduell; Feb 16, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:47 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The refunds department had been busy lately given the bad weather; how many days is "several" days?

You have a while to contest the charge with your CC issuer, so I'd give UA the 7-10 days they say normal refunds take.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Compensation? What are your damages? Were other charges denied because you maxed out your credit? Do you carry a balance such that you'll pay interest on the amount between the day it's charged and the day it's refunded. If neither of those are true, just sit tight and wait for the refund that you've already requested. If it doesn't appear within a month, then go the chargeback route and be done with it.

I don't normally jump right to the chargeback option, but I think in this case, it would be warranted: a) a mistake was made, b) cardholder has proof of the mistake, c) vendor agrees it was a mistake and has put in the paperwork for a refund, and d) (assuming OP waits for 30 days) cardholder waited for refund for 30 days but didn't get it.

Note that if you do submit a chargeback, be sure to do so under the guise of "Refund promised but never posted", and NOT "Invalid charge." You've already gotten past the point of UA agreeing that the charge was invalid, so that issue is not in dispute. It will be easier to sustain a chargeback under the "refund not posted" reason.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat

So I admit it. I screwed up and, based on timing and fare, bought a ticket from UA again for a trip later this summer. Apparently, that was my mistake right there.

That said, what actually occurred was that after purchasing a domestic + Canada flight, I received an offer to purchase an upgrade to F for the return legs for $18. Given that the ticket was $700 already, another $18 was no big deal, so I jumped on it. Let's hear it for TODs!

Ticket was upgraded to F, I selected seats. Have my original receipt showing the correct amounts.

This morning I was reading my credit card statement and discovered a completely DIFFERENT amount on my account. UA had refunded the $18 about 3 hours after my purchase, and charged me an additional $147. So I call in...

1 hour and 10 minutes later, a "support supervisor" informs me that what occurred was that the TAX amount was $18, and that it was a website error, and the correct amount was $147. So I could keep that charge, or they could downgrade me and refund it.

Frankly, I don't care that much about the upgrade. I'm wondering if UA actually understands the difference between "an error" and "credit card fraud"?! When you advertise and charge someone an amount for services, and then later on, reverse that charge and take something different without notifying them in any way, that's not "an error"!

More fool me for giving UA yet another chance.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AMEX Plat, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
file a dispute with your credit card company and attach your original receipt. that should take off the $147.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
He shouldn't have to dispute the $147. UA should flat out be honoring the $18.

Of course I said should and with the way things are going with UA these days, he probably will have to go the credit card dispute route.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I had a similar experience earlier this year when I was offered an upgrade for $200 and $2000+ was charged to my card.

It took a DOT filing to get it straightened out with United. Luckily I'd taken a screenshot. Otherwise it would probably have not happened. Good luck.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If OP does a credit card dispute before the flight, UA could cancel the ticket or downgrade the passenger to coach. OTOH, there's a deadline for disputing a credit card charge.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by globetrotter415
file a dispute with your credit card company and attach your original receipt. that should take off the $147.
Originally Posted by wrp96
Of course I said should and with the way things are going with UA these days, he probably will have to go the credit card dispute route.
I've already called Chase (ironically... UA partner). They have the record of the original charges as well, of course. I have NOT yet filed a dispute, but I suspect I will have to eventually. I'm then curious to see what happens to my ticket... considering just disputing the ENTIRE amount and buying the itin on DL like I should have done in the first place.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by noah
I had a similar experience earlier this year when I was offered an upgrade for $200 and $2000+ was charged to my card.

It took a DOT filing to get it straightened out with United. Luckily I'd taken a screenshot. Otherwise it would probably have not happened. Good luck.
I was about to add that the OP might consider reporting this to the DOT.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wrp96
I was about to add that the OP might consider reporting this to the DOT.
"Consider"?? How about just do it.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Please file a DOT complaint about this "post-purchase price increase", even if you've already resolved the issue (either correcting or refunding the charge).

14 CFR 399.88 - Prohibition on post-purchase price increase:
(a) It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.
(emphasis mine)

Last edited by mduell; Jun 23, 2014 at 11:08 am
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
Please file a DOT complaint about this "post-purchase price increase", even if you've already resolved the issue (either correcting or refunding the charge).
+1

UA should honor the so-called "website error."
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:05 am

Agreed with the above. DOT complaint will be filed whatever the outcome (probably prior to the outcome, assuming UA's customer service hasn't improved in the last 6 months...) This is absolutely the kind of shenanigans they should be smacked around for.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
this has been reported here time and time again, and it still occurs. it's abundantly clear that UA doesn't have any interest in investing the time, money, or FTE into getting it right themselves -- the only way it will happen is with repeated complaints to the DOT that result in financial repercussions that make it attractive for them to actually fix the problem.

until then, people should keep complaining and buyer beware...if it sounds too good to be true it probably is...screen captures... and if you get sucked into one of these things, it will probably end up costing you more time than the upgrade is actually worth just to get it rectified and get your money back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.