Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Passenger of Size" (PoS) also sometimes referred to "Customer of Size" (CoS)
Both acronyms are in FT Glossary

Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

United will not board a customer who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required.

*The average length of the seatbelt extension is approximately 25 inches. As the seat designs on our aircraft vary, it is possible that the seatbelt extension presented on your flight provides less than 25 inches of additional coverage. Regardless of the actual additional length the extension provides, if you do not meet the first criteria listed above when using the extension provided on your flight, it will be necessary for you to purchase an additional seat or an upgrade, where available.

Additional procedures

The additional seat must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If an additional seat is not available on the flight for which the customer is confirmed, he or she is required to rebook on the next United flight with seats available for accommodation. United will waive penalties or fees that may otherwise apply to this change.

If the customer is away from his or her home and must rebook for a flight for the following day, amenities including applicable meals and hotel accommodations for one night will be provided as appropriate. When the customer is able to rebook for a later flight on the same day as originally scheduled, amenities will not be provided.
Print Wikipost

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by bldr1k
This happens to me so often - it is frustrating. I flew BOS-DEN last week and didn't get upgraded. I had an isle seat and the person in the center was > 300 lbs and the person on the window was > 300 lbs (I'm guessing but these people were gigantic).

The person across the isle was probably the largest person I've ever seen on an airplane (not fat - maybe 6'8" tall with the shoulders of an offensive lineman). He bought two seats so the middle was empty. But the isle also had a very large person.

The worst domestic flight in a long time. I had to basically hang over the isle the entire flight and left with a sore back.
WHat follows has been said time and again by those in the know about this...UA has a clear policy about this where the POS needs to buy a second seat, or a business or FC seat if they don't meet the following criteria:
1. The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.Footnote *
2. The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
3. The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

The full policy is here... https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...a-seating.aspx

The problem is that UA doesn't enforce this AFAIK proactively. It's up to the person encroached upon to bring it to the attention of the FA before the doors are closed, and then stand their ground that the POS must be re-accommodated, not them. This is not easy for many of us to do, not wanting to embarrass someone, or not wanting to delay the flight, or whatever. There are many POS who know the policy and voluntarily comply ahead of time, as they should. If someone, does not, it's really should be on them, in my opinion. There are very few people who aren't aware how tight air craft seating is to begin with, whether they fly frequently or not. They're also aware of their own body size.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bldr1k
This happens to me so often - it is frustrating.

The worst domestic flight in a long time. I had to basically hang over the isle the entire flight and left with a sore back.
Similar experience last April, in E+, PDX-ORD-RDU. I decided before we landed in RDU that that was my last ever Y "experience."

UA seat width is going in the wrong direction, meaning, there's a good chance you will have perhaps an even worse domestic flight...the only question is, regrettably, when?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
After a delayed flight made us change RIC-IAD-IAH last night to RIC-ORD-IAH, my non-status sister lost her IAD-IAH upgrade (my regional upgrade), but was able to get in 21A on ORD-IAH (I do not love her enough to give her my first class seat).

It wasn't a completely full flight, and it looked like 21B was going to be open, but then they added a few late arriving standbys and one made it into 21B.

It was a flight crew member who was huge. The guy was not overly fat, but probably 6'3" and easily 250 with massive chest, shoulders, and thighs. The arm rest was partially up resting on his thighs, and his elbow evidently made more contact with my sister's breast in 2.5 hours than her husband has in the last few years.

She said he was super nice and tried to be as small as possible, but there was just no way he would fit. He evidently sat up on the front of his seat through most of the flight because when he sat back he squished my sister and the woman in the aisle seat, but even with that, any movement he made meant the people in the row moved with him.

My sister said she thought about asking to move seats, but said she felt it would be rude (she's never that nice to me).

There were only middle seats left on the plane, and any other middle seat outside of an exit row would have been even more miserable for the crew member. My sister, however, would have quickly given up a squished window seat for a middle seat, but she didn't ask. So, she endured what she said was the most miserable flight she's ever had (she doesn't travel that much).

I didn't know any of this was going on until they deplaned. I'm 6'1" and sadly well over 200 lbs, and he dwarfed me. He was in decent shape and would not have needed a seat belt extender at all, but also no real way for him to fit into a middle coach seat. I'd love to see him squeeze into the flight deck.

I don't think there really was anything United could do for this. They put him in the only seat on the plane that was available and would kinda fit him, and no way they would give up two revenue seats to give a crew member two seats.

There is no moral to the story other than telling friends and family to stick up for themselves and risk being seen as rude in order to avoid a miserable flight.
I am sorry that your sister had to undergo that but if I were her and I knew there were other empty seats I would have just got up and asked crew if I could move. The other passenger wouldn't have even needed to know why she was moving.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
OK, so tell us more.
The world just isn't built for people that are tall or large size. You can probably go to the mall and buy a pair of shoes and clothes if you want them, I can't and don't give me that old "just buy them on-line."

I am sure that the POS in this case was just as uncomfortable as his row mates. I don't like intruding on other people's space it is however impossible not to when that space is smaller than I am.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by JumboJet
The world just isn't built for people that are tall or large size. You can probably go to the mall and buy a pair of shoes and clothes if you want them, I can't and don't give me that old "just buy them on-line."

I am sure that the POS in this case was just as uncomfortable as his row mates. I don't like intruding on other people's space it is however impossible not to when that space is smaller than I am.
Do you think large people should be required to buy another seat, or fly in biz/first?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do you think large people should be required to buy another seat, or fly in biz/first?
I have a colleague who is a POS. He flies up front because he knows he doesn't fit in a Y seat, and figures that if he has to buy 2 Y seats he might as well go F/C instead.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If parts of their body ooze into my paid space? YES.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
They are so required....See wiki at beginning of thread.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by hughw
They are so required....See wiki at beginning of thread.
Yes, but that rule is not consistently enforced, is it?
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Overweight person in emergency exit

Let me start by saying that I am not about body shaming or that I have anything against overweight people, I probably could lose a couple of pounds myself, but I still would like some opinions about a recent experience.

I flew on UA from MIA to IAH on a 737-900. I selected 21F, since the aisle seats had been taken. The flight was full and towards the end of boarding, a rather overweight, or maybe I should say obese woman gets onboard and surprise she sits in 21E.

As soon as she sits down, my space gets reduced by 40%, my screen with Direct TV goes crazy as of course I have no more access to the arm rest and her arm is controlling my controls...

Both my neighbor on the aisle and I are basically squished, myself more because I have no where to go.

The woman sits in her seat and holds her purse in front of her stomach. Never puts on her seat belt.

FA comes and does the EE briefing, looks at the woman but does not say anything. She never checks her seatbelt either. We take off, no seat belt on.
During beverage service, the woman can not use her tray table because it would not fit, mind you this is an emergency exit row.

Right before landing, one more check, again no seat belt, no comments from the FA.

We land and the woman takes out her boarding passes. Surprise surprise, she has another flight, and she is again in the emergency exit, but the best part. She is flying on a Basic Economy ticket.

I have to admit that I was pretty upset, for one, I was squished against the wall and could barely move, I am 6'3 and 220 lbs, but also on the other hand, she never put on her seat belt. I really wondered what would happen in case of an emergency, would she be able to assist?

Again, I have nothing against obese people, and I understand that there are circumstances and circumstances, but don't you think that the gate agent should have caught this issue, and if not at least the FA?

I was writing an email on the plane to 1KVoice, but I wanted to get some opinions on here first, did not want to come across as a DYKWIAM.

For those who think that I should have spoken up on the plane, yes, I could have, but nowadays, I rather avoid any kind of conflict, specially on a plane.

Any opinions or similar experiences are appreciated...
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by stefan76
For those who think that I should have spoken up on the plane, yes, I could have, but nowadays, I rather avoid any kind of conflict, specially on a plane.
I have absolutely no empathy for people who are more worried about some potential conflict than safety. This should have been reported to the pilot and the FAA. The GA who gave her the exit row and the FA need immediate retraining.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Sounds like a baloney sandwich.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:19 am

The only info I could find about United's policy for sitting in the emergency exit row was extremely vague--over 15, willing to help, and without any (completely unspecified) limitations to being able to help. This is unlike, say, Southwest, who are extremely explicit about some things--you must be able to exit yourself (once you've opened the door) quickly and easily. Also, if you need a seat-belt extension, you are unfit and have to move.

Is United more explicit about the policies when you're actually on the plane? If they're still leaving it up to people's judgment--which, to be fair, used to be how they all did it--you're going to get this type of situation.

Also, bear in mind that who is and is not capable of working the door might surprise you. A "concerned" flight attendant (different airline) moved someone into the exit row to join me when I was the only one in it. Maybe it was for redundancy, but I think it was more about my being a small woman. Ironically, at the time I was also a serious athlete, and was 100% capable of getting the door open--probably a lot more so than the noodly guy she put next to me, but whatever.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fwoomp
The only info I could find about United's policy for sitting in the emergency exit row was extremely vague--over 15, willing to help, and without any (completely unspecified) limitations to being able to help. ...
From Inappropriate people in exit row?

Originally Posted by SunLover
UA published policy on exit row seating eligibility:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...p/seating.aspx

Can I sit in the exit row?

The government requires any passengers seated in an exit row to be 15 years of age or older, be willing to assist in an evacuation and have no limitations that would prohibit their assistance. Before allowing passengers to travel in exit row seats, United must determine if they are able to take all required actions in the event of an emergency. For this reason, we may withhold exit row seats until the day of departure. However, if there are exit row seats located in Economy Plus, they may be available for purchase.

SL
and FAR Part 121 Sec. 121.585
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by stefan76
FA comes and does the EE briefing, looks at the woman but does not say anything. She never checks her seatbelt either.

Right before landing, one more check, again no seat belt, no comments from the FA.
I've seen this from many sCO crews - they don't really check seat belts. Awful.

I've told people sitting next to me to put their seat belts on and then kept my eye contact until they did. If they had not, I would have called a FA. Take off and landing without a seat belt is very dangerous for you and everyone around you. Please speak up if you encounter this again.

JK-SFO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.