What is "peak" summer travel season?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
What is "peak" summer travel season?

A UA announcement in March said
All-Widebody New York/Newark-Heathrow Service

During peak periods this spring and summer, we will operate widebody aircraft on all five of our daily flights between our New York hub, Newark Liberty International Airport, and Heathrow.

Boeing 767-300 aircraft will operate flights that previously flew with Boeing 757-200 aircraft. The 767s each feature a total of 183 seats – six in United Global First, 26 in United BusinessFirst and 151 in United Economy, including 67 Economy Plus seats with added legroom and increased personal space. Like premium cabins on all United international long-haul flights, Global First and BusinessFirst will feature flat-bed seats. Details of flight schedules are available at united.com.

Read more at https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/co...abo4ADbBhWw.99
Today's UA16 LHR-EWR 12:05 p.m. departure is a 757-200. When did summer end?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
A UA announcement in March said

Today's UA16 LHR-EWR 12:05 p.m. departure is a 757-200. When did summer end?
September 1, though of course this is more traditional, and not technically the end of summer.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by mherdeg
When did summer end?
Labor day
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
They're going to put the aircraft that meets demand the best.

Not limited to UA. Late in August, I was on a TG flight BKK-KBV. Not peak time, for sure, but scheduled as an A330. Until I go to check in, and realize the aircraft was swapped to a 737-400. Which wasn't even full. Annoying for me, but makes sense - why would TG want to send a big aircraft mostly empty (even the 737 was only about 50% full) when they can easily accommodate all passengers in a smaller one.

On the other hand, I say this knowing that I have a flight tomorrow that was zero'd out in all cabins yesterday after switching to a lower-capacity A320 (one of the non-slimmed ones with only 36 E+ seats). It was full even before the switch, though they were still willing to sell seats. Have a feeling it might get switched again at some point...but we'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.