Wiki Posts
Search

Who took my upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus IK, IHG Platinum
Who took my upgrade?

Hi all a strange thing may have happened and I wonder if anyone can give me an explanation.

I was on flight UA 999 yesterday from EWR to BRU and just before I boarded asked the desk if my GPU had cleared and I had been upgraded ..I was told there were no upgrades. So I sat the whole flight in the back seat 33k

10 minutes ago I was checking out my future reservations and could still see my reservation from yesterday on flight UA 999 and it shows I had been upgraded. I was never told about this at the gate and no one came looking for me on the flight.

My questions are what happened ? Did someone else get given my seat ? What can I expect from United ie re deposit of GPU or something else?

Also nagging in the back of my mind is the possibility something not right had occurred
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Antonio007
Hi all a strange thing may have happened and I wonder if anyone can give me an explanation.

I was on flight UA 999 yesterday from EWR to BRU and just before I boarded asked the desk if my GPU had cleared and I had been upgraded ..I was told there were no upgrades. So I sat the whole flight in the back seat 33k

10 minutes ago I was checking out my future reservations and could still see my reservation from yesterday on flight UA 999 and it shows I had been upgraded. I was never told about this at the gate and no one came looking for me on the flight.

My questions are what happened ? Did someone else get given my seat ? What can I expect from United ie re deposit of GPU or something else?

Also nagging in the back of my mind is the possibility something not right had occurred
Smells like shenanigans. You definitely should get your GPU back and maybe ask for downgrade compensation.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

I did suspect something was not quite right. I expected to get an upgrade before I boarded due to the seat availability and my position in the upgrade queue.

If someone has broken the rules is there anyway of the person responsible being disciplined as this may stop it happening to others in the future ?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Always continue to watch the upgrade tab on the app even after boarding if you are close, though that doesn't answer your question. And it fails when you are at an international hub with an American cell and no service. Not infrequently I learn I have been upgraded after boarding from the app.

I assume you were still showing as waitlisted prior to boarding and that your boarding pass didn't beep bad on boarding. You will likely never know what happened. United may try to tell you that you were upgraded. Explain what happened and you will get your GPU back.

There are reasons people not on the upgrade queue get seated (must fly first pax like the United CEO, paid F moving from another flight, dead head pilots, etc.)
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Hi no beep and I left it late to board ..I do have a theory as to what may have happened as it may have been a favour given to another male passenger..this was the result of overhearing part of a conversation between 2 members of the cabin crew . I do not really want to relay what I heard in the conversation as it was of a personal nature and not sure it is appropriate to put here .
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:31 pm

similar story on my flt from EWR to SFO yesterday, everyone had boarded and the app was showing i was first on the waitlist with one seat in F class available. I asked the gate agent who was walking in coach before the doors closed about the upgrade and she said there were no upgrades. I showed her the app and said there is one seat available in F that should be mine. She shook her head and walked off but then came back a few minutes later and gave me the upgrade. Wonder what would have happened if I hadnt asked??
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

It would appear that some of the gate agents are playing games and not doing the job that they are paid to do. Why does United allow this to happen .? Would every time we suspected foul play or incompetence we made a formal complaint do anything to change this .?
To be fair most gate agents are very helpful and at times work under extreme stress..however the rogue or incompetent ones need to be weeded out for the sake of the goodwill of the company .
It would be easy to identify the culprits and ask them to explain there actions.
Also if they did things that were not within the rules on a regular basis then the company would be able to identify and remove the rotten apples .
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It would appear that some of the gate agents are playing games and not doing the job that they are paid to do. Why does United allow this to happen .? Would every time we suspected foul play or incompetence we made a formal complaint do anything to change this .?
To be fair most gate agents are very helpful and at times work under extreme stress..however the rogue or incompetent ones need to be weeded out for the sake of the goodwill of the company .
It would be easy to identify the culprits and ask them to explain there actions.
Also if they did things that were not within the rules on a regular basis then the company would be able to identify and remove the rotten apples .
If you suspect something wrong, flight specifics should be sent in. I do believe most of the time upgrade lists are cleared as they should be, but a few bad apples do exist. Unless a complaint is lodged (and it gets back to them), they'll continue. Continued abuse or incompetence should be grounds for termination.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you suspect something wrong, flight specifics should be sent in. I do believe most of the time upgrade lists are cleared as they should be, but a few bad apples do exist. Unless a complaint is lodged (and it gets back to them), they'll continue. Continued abuse or incompetence should be grounds for termination.
Agreed, shenanigans occur but it's relatively infrequent on UA.

I would definitely write to 1kvoice. I'd probably ask for my GPU back and downgrade compensation.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I have already sent an email through the automated system requesting an explanation as to what had happened and the reason I was never informed about the upgrade and for the return of my GPU or other suitable compensation .

However if there is a specific person or department to contact I would appreciate knowing how to contact them

Many thanks for your replies .
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
... I was checking out my future reservations and could still see my reservation from yesterday on flight UA 999 and it shows I had been upgraded. I was never told about this at the gate and no one came looking for me on the flight.
Was there also a seat assignment in BF for you? I would take a screen shot of it and report it to UA. This stuff smells of shenanigans and needs to be nipped in the bud, pronto.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Hi no beep and I left it late to board ..I do have a theory as to what may have happened as it may have been a favour given to another male passenger..this was the result of overhearing part of a conversation between 2 members of the cabin crew . I do not really want to relay what I heard in the conversation as it was of a personal nature and not sure it is appropriate to put here .
How about a hint?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Was there also a seat assignment in BF for you? I would take a screen shot of it and report it to UA. This stuff smells of shenanigans and needs to be nipped in the bud, pronto.
Reservation Summary
Flight Reservation
Confirmation Number:
XXXXX [Edited by Moderator]
Flight from: Panama City, Panama (PTY) to New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)

Depart: 10:05 a.m., Sun., Sep. 14, 2014
Arrive: 4:20 p.m. Sun., Sep. 14, 2014
Flight Number: UA1022
Distance: 2,215 miles
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Fare Class: United Business (R)
Meal: Lunch
No Special Meal Offered.

Flight from: New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) to Brussels, Belgium (BRU)

Depart: 6:25 p.m., Sun., Sep. 14, 2014
Arrive: 7:45 a.m. +1 Day Mon., Sep. 15, 2014
Flight Number: UA999
Distance: 3,681 miles
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200
Fare Class: United BusinessFirst (R)
Meal: Dinner

Flight from: Brussels, Belgium (BRU) to Manchester, England (MAN)

Depart: 9:40 a.m., Mon., Sep. 15, 2014
Arrive: 9:55 a.m. Mon., Sep. 15, 2014
Flight Number: UA9909
Distance: 334 miles
Aircraft: Airbus A319
Fare Class: Economy (W)
Meal: None

Travelers(s)
XXXXXX [Edited by Moderator]
Seats: 2A | 33K
Trip Alert(s): Not Active
Frequent Flyer: UA-XXXXXX [Edited by Moderator]

This is a copy of my reservation as showing now ..it shows me upgraded but the seat number was still my old one in coach.

So this is confusing ..I am shown as upgraded but not given a seat in business first ..however I have had this before due to the website not showing late upgrades as the seats are allocated at the gate .

Either way I have used a GPU and not had the full benefit ..

Note: Moderator has edited certain personal information to preserve member's privacy.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
How about a hint?
blonde man in coach and an admirer in crew

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed, shenanigans occur but it's relatively infrequent on UA.

I would definitely write to 1kvoice. I'd probably ask for my GPU back and downgrade compensation.
Is there an email for 1k voice on the website or will it be on the back of my 1k card ?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 15, 2014 at 8:01 pm Reason: multi-quoute
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Is there an email for 1k voice on the website or will it be on the back of my 1k card ?
We won't tell you until we hear more of the story.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I'd scrub your name and PNR from the above post, along with perhaps any uncompleted travel specifics...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.