Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any info on earning rates for partner airlines next year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Hello all
I fly predominantly with UA's Star Alliance partners not on UA metal. I have not seen any info on when UA will release the new earning rates for their partners for next year. Presumably, discount Economy fares will no longer earn 100% of mileage on their partners such as LH and SQ, but from what I can tell, nothing has been released on this yet. Have I missed anything? Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
UA doesn't publish updates on an annual basis - it could change for a particular carrier tomorrow.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks aacharya - I understand that but obviously in 2015, there are some fundamental changes taking place to the earn rates on UA's own flights and I can't imagine they'd want to encourage their members to take other airline partners' flights over their own as a result of different earn rates!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by leroy11
Thanks aacharya - I understand that but obviously in 2015, there are some fundamental changes taking place to the earn rates on UA's own flights and I can't imagine they'd want to encourage their members to take other airline partners' flights over their own as a result of different earn rates!
Flights on other carriers have the same earn rates if on UA stock. May wish to re-read the March 2015 changes/table to fully understand that - as it is not just impacting UA metal.

If partner metal and not on UA stock, they don't count for PQD.

Hence that is the hedge in United's eyes preventing people from booking on OALs for better earnings.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by aacharya
Flights on other carriers have the same earn rates if on UA stock. May wish to re-read the March 2015 changes/table to fully understand that - as it is not just impacting UA metal.

If partner metal and not on UA stock, they don't count for PQD.

Hence that is the hedge in United's eyes preventing people from booking on OALs for better earnings.
Wouldnt most people booking partner airlines be overseas customers anyway, where PQD doesnt matter?

My take is they are waiting to see what Delta does with 2015 partner earnings.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
I fly predominantly with UA's Star Alliance partners not on UA metal. I have not seen any info on when UA will release the new earning rates for their partners for next year. Presumably, discount Economy fares will no longer earn 100% of mileage on their partners such as LH and SQ, but from what I can tell, nothing has been released on this yet. Have I missed anything? Thanks!
The lowest SQ fare already been earning ZERO UA miles for many years now.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
The lowest SQ fare already been earning ZERO UA miles for many years now.
There are still others at the moment that do earn 100% on partners that are equivalent of UA KLTS fares, the fate of those is yet to be seen
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
This will be very interesting especially for LX,OS and LH as M+M has lower rates as UA right now...
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:28 am
Suspended

Loophole in New Way of Earning Miles? Best of Both Worlds?

I just saw this:

"Tickets for flights operated by a Star Alliance™ or MileagePlus partner airline that aren’t issued by United (ticket numbers that don’t start with “016”) will still earn award miles based on distance flown and the purchased fare class"

So the big question is, will you earn the mileage bonus?

Perhaps you can fly international with *A and domestic with United and still earn a decent number of miles?

Also, surely you can purchase UA flights as code shares so wouldn't you earn miles on distance flown. The big question is then would you qualify for E+ seating.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Been discussed before.

You want to earn miles the old way? Then you gets no PQD.

You care about PQD? Then enjoy earning under the new scheme.

If you're chasing elite status, then you know what you need to do. Kind of ironically, if you're not, then you're better off booking away from UA.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ryman554
Been discussed before.

If you're chasing elite status, then you know what you need to do. Kind of ironically, if you're not, then you're better off booking away from UA.
Sure, the PQD are lost on the non-016 tickets. But that's no a major issue for some of us.

I couldn't find the old threads before I posted.

What was the conclusion about earning mileage bonuses?

The elite qualification requirement for Gold is 50K Miles flown plus $5K spend. But only the $5K spend applies to 016 tickets. The 50K miles can be on any airline (4 UA segment minimum of course)
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
PQDs don't apply to me, so this seems like a good work-around, especially as LH often sells exclusively UA itineraries for the same price or even less than UA itself. However, if you buy the UA flights through LH, you can't apply upgrades until check in.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
PQDs don't apply to me, so this seems like a good work-around, especially as LH often sells exclusively UA itineraries for the same price or even less than UA itself. However, if you buy the UA flights through LH, you can't apply upgrades until check in.
If you buy a LH ticket with LH marketed flight numbers on a UA operated flight, you will generally earn PQD and $-based RDM.

From UA's faq, "This new way of earning award miles will apply to most tickets for flights operated by United and United Express. It will also apply to tickets for flights operated by a Star Alliance™ or MileagePlus partner airline when the ticket number starts with "016."", http://mileageplusupdates.com/#faq

However, I think a viable business model would be to set up a travel agency that buys UA tickets and re-sells them as "bulk tickets" at the same price or a slight markup. Anyone interested in starting a travel agency?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryman554
Been discussed before.

For some people the new scheme is better for RDM's as well, and its not a choice you have to make.

But there are many of us who may evaluate how we book our flights, because the PQD requirement is just not an issue. I hit the $10k PQD before I even hit 50k PQM. Under the new RDM scheme, if there's a significant difference in RDM earning depending on how I book, it may be worth booking away from UA.

At some point though, there's too much effort involved, and I don't really care that much about RDM's. I'd rather get the UA-only benefits such as CPU's. I don't know that we'll see huge numbers of people booking with other carriers.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:13 am
Suspended

So did we work out if the mileage bonus would apply? Would 1Ks still get the 100% bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.