Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why did UA send 100+ IAH-ABI passengers to hotels when delay was caused by weather?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did UA send 100+ IAH-ABI passengers to hotels when delay was caused by weather?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

I was googling about UA's policy when the flight was delayed/cancelled due to weather. I saw this thread on a train forum. Can this story possibly be true?

"My GF just returned from Europe on a Cheapie ticket on SAS (Copenhagen-EWR) and United (EWR-IAH-ABI.)

When she reached Houston her connecting flight from IAH to Austin was Canceled due to the plane not arriving from SFO due to bad weather!

United put the 100+ stranded pax up in Airport Hotels (hers was a Marriott/Breakfast included) took them in shuttle buses to/from the Hotels and the next morning flew a Charter flight for them to Austin!

I was astounded and so was she! Normally she would have been offered her choice of an airport chair or floor for the night and an attempt to book her on one of the very busy 5 times a day shuttles IAH-ABI the next day!"

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/inde...ed-by-weather/
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe one UA agent said "let's get them hotels" and no other agents contradicted them, even though none of them really wanted to handle 100 hotel rooms … a real http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilene_paradox
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Whether to give hotels or not is entirely up to the station. If the delay is due to mechanical or crew scheduling, then the cost of the hotels is charged back to the maintenance/crew scheduling departments. If the hotels were provided for a cause (weather) that the airline does not normally provide hotels for, then the station is charged for the cost.

Often, if it is eight in the evening and the hotels are not booked up, they will call the station manager and tell him "we have 150 rooms empty tonight that will let you have cheap for $45 (or similar) per night". So the station takes advantage of the opportunity to placate 100 angry passengers at a low cost. This is more like to happen in Houston where there are a lot of hotels and they compete on rates. This is also more likely to happen when only one flight is cancelled instead of the thunderstorm situation where dozens of flights are cancelled and the hotels are booked solid.

Also, this delay probably was not considered as weather. IAH is a huge hub and if UA cannot find another narrowbody and crew to make the trip, it is really the airlines fault, not the weather. A cancelled flight out of SFO means they had four hours warning to solve the problem and they didn't.

If she got something extra from normally stingy United, why exactly are you fuming? Sounds great to me.

Last edited by eghansen; Aug 27, 2014 at 12:40 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eghansen
Whether to give hotels or not is entirely up to the station. If the delay is due to mechanical or crew scheduling, then the cost of the hotels is charged back to the maintenance/crew scheduling departments. If the hotels were provided for a cause (weather) that the airline does not normally provide hotels for, then the station is charged for the cost.

If she got something extra from normally stingy United, why exactly are you fuming? Sounds great to me.
me fuming? not at all! I was just amused.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Maybe one UA agent said "let's get them hotels" and no other agents contradicted them, even though none of them really wanted to handle 100 hotel rooms … a real http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilene_paradox

Oh wow! That's precisely what happened to me several years ago.
The whole family went on a 2-day trip to Paris(France, not Texas)
and only several months later did we realize that NONE of us
wanted to go. Each of use only went along because we thought
the other all wanted to go and did not want to be the party pooper.

Now I finally have a name for that disastrous trip! (which burned
over 200,000 miles in 3 days and 2 nights)

Thanks!!!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 28, 2014 at 5:28 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Maybe the weather blew somthing over and caused a MX
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by eghansen

Also, this delay probably was not considered as weather. IAH is a huge hub and if UA cannot find another narrowbody and crew to make the trip, it is really the airlines fault, not the weather. A cancelled flight out of SFO means they had four hours warning to solve the problem and they didn't.

There may be some clause in the rules that in order to claim a weather delay it must be on the specific plane/route the delay occurs on flights leaving from an airlines' hub airport because they should have spare crew and planes to substitute if anything did happen.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Karelia
Oh wow! That's precisely what happened to me several years ago.
The whole family went on a 2-day trip to Paris(France, not Texas)
and only several months later did we realize that NONE of us
wanted to go. Each of use only went along because we thought
the other all wanted to go and did not want to be the party pooper.

Now I finally have a name for that disastrous trip! (which burned
over 200,000 miles in 3 days and 2 nights)

Thanks!!!
Not Paris, Kentucky?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:32 pm

I'm confused.
Why would they put the passengers on a flight to Austin if they wanted to go to Abilene?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by 26point2orbust
I'm confused.
Why would they put the passengers on a flight to Austin if they wanted to go to Abilene?
That's the Abilene paradox!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
IAH to AUS? That's almost worthy of just arranging ground transportation. Surely half the passengers would've gone for that over a hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.