Wiki Posts
Search

Did UA make another MP change?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Did UA make another MP change?

I have noticed that several recent flights with A or F tickets on 2 class aircraft earned significantly less miles than they were earlier this year. The online mileage calculator still shows what they are supposed to earn.
Another sneaky enhancement or an IT glitch?

examples:
DEN-YYC credit 2469; according to calculator 3143; previous flights this year 3143
DEN-IAD credit 3993; according to calculator 5082; previous flights this year 5082

Last edited by Plane-is-home; Aug 26, 2014 at 3:50 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
IT glitch, possibly relating to them crediting at the rate of the fare code vs. the class? E.g. a VUP that books into A should credit RDM at 175% (plus elite bonus as applicable), but UA occasionally credits as if it were V.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
IT glitch, possibly relating to them crediting at the rate of the fare code vs. the class? E.g. a VUP that books into A should credit RDM at 175% (plus elite bonus as applicable), but UA occasionally credits as if it were V.
Actually, a V-UP that books into A should accrue as a V:

Certain premium cabin flight segments may earn different award miles and Premier qualifying credits than those defined for your ticketed fare class in the chart above (your fare class for each flight segment is displayed during booking and when viewing a ticketed itinerary on united.com). In these cases, earning is based on the first letter of the fare basis code, which may correspond to an economy cabin fare class including Y, B, M, H, Q, U, V, W, S, T, L, K, G, or N. You can determine your fare basis code when booking a reservation on united.com by selecting the Fare Rules and Restrictions link on the itinerary review page prior to purchase.

UA has nonetheless been mostly crediting UP fares based on booking class rather than fare basis. As has been discussed in various threads, their rules don't require that they do it that way.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

those were no UP fares; legs as part of international F or A tickets
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I received 1.75X RDMs on an A-up on August 7. How recent were the flights in question?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Are you sure they were not UPs? P and Z-UPs that book into GlobalFirst (A) are fairly prevalent right now.

The UP/UPDI fares are also prevalent on Canada and Latin America routings.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, a V-UP that books into A should accrue as a V:

[...]

UA has nonetheless been mostly crediting UP fares based on booking class rather than fare basis. As has been discussed in various threads, their rules don't require that they do it that way.
And the T&C you quoted from United contradict (surprise) some which were offered to me on a Q-UP fare just last week. They were offering me a Q-UP for ~$700 on a transcon (from a S fare), and had a link on the offer explaining how the fares would accrue, etc. The T&C linked to there specifically said they would earn based on the upgraded cabin. I wish I'd taken a screen capture!

Typical UA, offering contradictory T&C on their site.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
United's earning site says that F/A fares earn 250% RDM if in three-cabin GlobalFirst and 175% in all other cases. See http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...es/united.aspx

There have been reports that for a long time UA has been giving 250% for two-cabin domestic legs connecting to three-cabin GlobalFirst; for example, there have been reports that if you fly on an A fare BOS-SFO-ICN you should expect to earn 250% BOS-SFO and 250% SFO-ICN, not 175% BOS-SFO + 250% SFO-ICN. However, this behavior is not the benefit published by UA.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg
United's earning site says that F/A fares earn 250% RDM if in three-cabin GlobalFirst and 175% in all other cases. See http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...es/united.aspx

There have been reports that for a long time UA has been giving 250% for two-cabin domestic legs connecting to three-cabin GlobalFirst; for example, there have been reports that if you fly on an A fare BOS-SFO-ICN you should expect to earn 250% BOS-SFO and 250% SFO-ICN, not 175% BOS-SFO + 250% SFO-ICN. However, this behavior is not the benefit published by UA.
This the more likely answer. If UA had started consistently crediting UPs based on the published T&C's, we'd likely be hearing quite a bit more screaming.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg

I guess that's the case. I always got 250% for those legs as part of international GF. Now it's 175%. But when I plug any of these flights into the calculator on UA's website it displays the 250%.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:10 pm

Is this just for RDMs or also for PQMs? I realized that a flight I just purchased today in "P" has a T fare basis.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
Is this just for RDMs or also for PQMs? I realized that a flight I just purchased today in "P" has a T fare basis.
IME, you will get 150% PQM for that.

Some folks have reported having to fight for it, though.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
I have noticed that several recent flights with A or F tickets on 2 class aircraft earned significantly less miles than they were earlier this year. The online mileage calculator still shows what they are supposed to earn.
Another sneaky enhancement or an IT glitch?

examples:
DEN-YYC credit 2469; according to calculator 3143; previous flights this year 3143
DEN-IAD credit 3993; according to calculator 5082; previous flights this year 5082
Not sure.

Always, always, always...save a copy of the T&C showing the actual fare class and fare basis code. I've seen a lot of UA itineraries booking into First (F, A) or Business (P, Z) that are actually economy fares with "complimentary upgrades" (except during IRROPS).
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Just got an email back from GS mile deltas will be credited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.