Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United flight diverted over seat recline issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United flight diverted over seat recline issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JBord
I actually think the reclining seats are a little dangerous because no one ever looks behind them before reclining. I've leaned forward to get something from my laptop bag under the seat and had the seat back slammed into my head. It only startled me, but I let out a scream and curse so the idiot in front of me at least (hopefully) felt bad.
I've had a laptop damaged by the pax's recline. I thought it was safely positioned, but that was before the guy flopped down like a ton of bricks into the seat, temporarily making it "recline" even further and cracking the screen bezel (thankfully not the screen itself).

I wish seat designers could come up with an effective tray table design that isn't exactly the right height to catch a laptop screen between the seat back and tray table when the pax reclines (or jounces the seat).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I wish UA would compromise...recline all the seats back half way and lock them.
Seats need to be upright, not partially reclined, for safety reasons during evacuation. Moreover, for many of us, to sit in the reclined position means a sore back. However, as was suggested by Bonehead, a reduced field of recline might be good idea.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Too bad the lady was not drinking hot coffee, though in that case I would have to vote she goes with him to the slammer.

People need to get over this "it is my space" thing. Clearly the seat is designed to recline. I will recline slowly to avoid an issue with breaking laptops and spilling food/drinks. And if a pax behind my politely asks me to not recline, I will comply.

But if the pax behind me is a jerk about the issue ...
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Seats need to be upright, not partially reclined, for safety reasons during evacuation. Moreover, for many of us, to sit in the reclined position means a sore back. However, as was suggested by Bonehead, a reduced field of recline might be good idea.
Well, they need to be upright in order to allow enough room to get out. Another way to fix this is increase pitch.

I'm with you though, I don't recline. The only exception is on some of the pmCO planes, the seat is uncomfortably straight and rigid so I go back about an inch.

A governor is also a good compromise. I actually am very conscious of moving slowly when I do my 1 inch recline, it's just a matter of common sense and politeness. As soon as I figure out a way to regulate people's awareness of their surroundings, I'm going to suggest that too .
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It sure must take a special sort of narcissism to think that it's okay to use that product.

The marketing materials sound like a weird air travel version of the (insane) self-sovereignty "movement."
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:59 pm
TGR

Programs: Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Federal criminal law requires passengers to obey the lawful orders of the crew.
Not a leading question, but what's the definition of "lawful order"? The only statute I know is the "interference with crewmembers" one, which is prima facie not quite the same as "not doing everything the crewmember tells you".

Just for avoidance of doubt, I would personally do whatever a FA told me and discuss it with the airline once on the ground if I felt mistreated. And as far as the story is accurate, I think both passengers disgraced themselves (my toddler behaves better on airplanes than these 48-year-olds).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
It sure must take a special sort of narcissism to think that it's okay to use that product. ...
The same could be said of people who do a full power recline with no regard for the passenger behind them. Therein lies the rub.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:03 pm

For better or worse, the long-term solution in E is likely to be the seats where the back does not recline at all; instead, the seat slides forward within the "back shell."

While this avoids the "recline in my face" problem, some say those seats are less comfortable on long rides. I don't know, as I have not had the (mis)fortune of experiencing those seats.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Federal criminal law requires passengers to obey the lawful orders of the crew. UA prohibits the device. The FA was authorized to issue the order and Mr. Middle committed a crime. Whether the FBI pursues an investigation and the U.S. Attorney chooses to prosecute, is a different question.

Ms. Water committed an assault aboard an aircraft. She too committed a crime. Same thing respecting the prosecution.

Hopefully UA will ban both from flying UA and pursue Mr. Middle for damages associated with the cost of diverting the flight. If you do this just once in a while, you can actually modify bad behavior.
Actually I think she committed a battery, not assault, but in any case all I see is more taxpayer $$$$ flushing down the drain if the feds really want to prosecute these two.

If UA doesn't ban them from flying UA again, then both of these pax should only be allowed to fly as UM's in the future because both of them acted like children.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by TGR
Not a leading question, but what's the definition of "lawful order"? The only statute I know is the "interference with crewmembers" one, which is prima facie not quite the same as "not doing everything the crewmember tells you".
In some ways, being an airline passenger is like being a soldier. Both must obey lawful orders and both must refuse unlawful orders. If flight crew tells one to smother the child who is crying, the order is not lawful. But if the FA tells one not to use a gadget one must not use it -- unless failing to use it would be unlawful (e.g. failing to wear clothing on a non-clothing optional flight).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bonehead
The same could be said of people who do a full power recline with no regard for the passenger behind them. Therein lies the rub.
There's a difference between using a seat feature in a rude way, and buying a product that alters the airline seat in front of you out of an insane delusion that you have a "right" to your knee space.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's a difference between using a seat feature in a rude way, and buying a product that alters the airline seat in front of you out of an insane delusion that you have a "right" to your knee space.
Not to mention that some pax who do the full recline are just totally and completely clueless. Which is a somewhat lesser degree of culpability than knowing disregard for others' comfort.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
It sure must take a special sort of narcissism to think that it's okay to use that product.

The marketing materials sound like a weird air travel version of the (insane) self-sovereignty "movement."
Nope, just the regular sort of narcissism is required. Same as the guy who slammed his seat into full recline in front of me exactly 2 seconds after the wheels left the runway last week, or the guy next to me on that same flight who checked emails on his phone until he couldn't get a cell signal any longer. We live in a world where a lot of people feel if they don't like the rule than they don't need to follow it.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
Hopefully UA will ban both from flying UA and pursue Mr. Middle for damages associated with the cost of diverting the flight. If you do this just once in a while, you can actually modify bad behavior.
That may be too much considering it wasn't their decision to divert the plane. UA should make Mr. Middle earn zero PQM/RDM/PQD on this and next two flights and gently remind him to take his knee defender to DL/AA.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I don't generally use laptop on planes so I don't know the answer to this, but I thought that in E+ the whole recline-seat-into-laptop-thing wasn't an issue since there is enough room. Is that not the case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.