Wiki Posts
Search

Beta testing new IFE devices

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:37 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by thaliajen

Sb3- thanks for the warning. I'm going to keep trying with the Kindle Fire. I don't know WHY it won't download the app!
thaliajen - Not sure why the app won't download on the Fire, but even if it does, the wifi may not work. I'm not the most technologically sophisticated user either but if I recall correctly, someone told me it was because it was easy to build the app for apple products and get it to work, but because non-apple devices are not all the same, more work is involved and the airline hasn't gotten there yet.

I'm sure if I got this last part wrong, and if there is anyone who was able to get the beta test to work on a non-apple device, they'll let you know.

I also remember it being not-quite-so-intuitive once you are on the plane trying to access the wifi for those with some challenges dealing with technology. ;-) I think you need to access both a web browser and the app, but I can't remember the order and maybe even had to choose the united wifi via your settings first.

Good luck.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Thanks Sb3-
I'm really hoping the Apple Laptop will work. It's only a few months old so maybe I'll get lucky. Now I regret letting my husband give our son his iPad whe he upgraded to a new one. As a writer, I need a laptop and thought the iPad wasn't anything I'd need. But if UA is going to offer IFE only to iPad users, I might need to get one.

As for trying on the Kindle, I'm still stumped as to why it won't download the app. If I didn't have an iPhone or laptop, I'd be using the Kindle Fire. It should have that capability, even if the IFE won't work.

Oh well, I will see tomorrow. Maybe I should buy another movie since the 1st flight is 5 hours. Then LAX-IAH and IAH-DTW. I leave HNL at 8:45pm Hawaii time and don't arrive home until around 5pm TUESDAY. I wish they'd offered a direct flight from IAH but it was too early to get there from DTW 1st. It's gonna be a LONG day and night and day.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by thaliajen
Thanks Sb3-
I'm really hoping the Apple Laptop will work. It's only a few months old so maybe I'll get lucky. Now I regret letting my husband give our son his iPad whe he upgraded to a new one. As a writer, I need a laptop and thought the iPad wasn't anything I'd need. But if UA is going to offer IFE only to iPad users, I might need to get one.

As for trying on the Kindle, I'm still stumped as to why it won't download the app. If I didn't have an iPhone or laptop, I'd be using the Kindle Fire. It should have that capability, even if the IFE won't work.

Oh well, I will see tomorrow. Maybe I should buy another movie since the 1st flight is 5 hours. Then LAX-IAH and IAH-DTW. I leave HNL at 8:45pm Hawaii time and don't arrive home until around 5pm TUESDAY. I wish they'd offered a direct flight from IAH but it was too early to get there from DTW 1st. It's gonna be a LONG day and night and day.
I just used the beta of the IFE on the way to HKG last week. It was great. Any laptop with a supported browser will work as long as the plugin is installed. You can get it on the plane. If not using a Mac or PC, you only need the UA app on an iOS device for DRM-controlled content.

To enable it, after your Mac is turned on, connect your wifi to the "united_wifi" network, then launch any browser and go to Http://unitedwifi.com. Follow prompts from there.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
I just used the beta of the IFE on the way to HKG last week. It was great. .
I just used the IFE on my iPad yesterday on a flight and I was surprised about how good it was. If my memory is correct there is a lot more content on the streaming IFE than the typical IFE on longhaul flights in first or business. For example, there were over 150 movies. I think it's a lot better than the old IFE with shared tv screens or audio option. Plus, it's nice not having bulky IFE equipment under the seat in front of you. It's a rare change I like.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: 1K 2MM
I used the new personal IFE system on flights to ICN on August 15, returning yesterday, and it worked really well, both on a MacBook Pro and an iPad. I had some pretty bad buffering problems on the first flight with the laptop, but when I switched to the iPad they were much less of an issue. On the return, using only my iPad, it worked perfectly.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:31 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Ultimately, this is the problem:

For those of us who do know the difference, what they said makes no actual sense.
Indeed... UA's typically clear-as-mud writing. They probably put some of the same folks who write the T&C for their promos to work on this.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
I received an e-mail similar to the OP prior to an EWR-YYT flight on Saturday. I booted up the laptop when we got up to altitude so I could see how the streaming IFE worked, but it didn't seem to be working (the wi-fi worked fine).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:53 am

I am surprised at how many people think Wifi automatically includes internet. The content that is being served via Wifi (a connection type) is stored locally on the plane. That means your plane does not need an internet connection in order for this to work.

I think United should do a better job of separating the two services when describing the amenities. Doesn't change the fact that the entertainment will work without internet.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
My one experience with this was good. Would prefer a smoother GUI, but overall good selection and seamless streaming
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: 1K
Tried this on a HNL-IAH flight on my iPad. The video was interrupted a lot... myself and everyone around me gave up on it.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I used the inflight "beta" entertainment today EWR-SFO. It was FANTASTIC. Worked without a slight hiccup! Love it... great addition.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:46 pm

I got to use it for the first time yesterday. At first, I thought it could only be used with internet on, but I quickly realized that the personal entertainment was independent of the wifi.

It worked fine (on iPad). There were some buffering issues here and there but no major problems (perhaps because pax were not aware of this feature; I only found out from UA online flight status).

It did say on the unitedwifi page that the personal entertainment will be complementary for a limited time, so I guess that explains the word "beta?"
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
I used it today on my PHX-ORD flight, and it worked flawlessly on my iPad. I got the e-mail yesterday and checked that my app was updated before boarding.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
One observation: For all of the complaining that we do about UA, it sounds like they may have gotten this one right.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
See this very extensive wiki thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...al-device.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.